Ernie Ball / Music Man guitars are overpriced ...

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date

Ernie Bal / Music Man guitars are overpriced.

• Yay

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 23 41.1%

• Total voters
Maybe a bit more than their name demands, but not really anymore than most other US built mass production guitars, imo. Though not directly comparable model-wise; They do tend to use better wood and hardware than say Fender or Gibson on average.

They are overpriced mostly because they don't have a 1k "sweet spot" range of models

It's crappy sterlings then boom 2k standards with nothing in between

If the standard sabres and cutlasses were the same quality but 500$ less I'd probably buy one new.

Love Ernie balls, my favourite guitars. I would not pay current prices but bought two Majesties new in the last few years a 7&8 and I think they are worth the cost.

I’m wishing I grabbed a bunch of JP6’s when they used to be in the 1000-1500 used price

Think a lot forget where EB's are made at. California's crazy taxes and living costs= higher prices. How much is a Suhr guitar now? Anderson guitars? Mesa Boogie? EB has to pay their employees a living wage.

the ones I had (around 7 Luke 2s and 3s) had nothing to be jealous of other high end guitars in terms of fit and finish, tones, proprietary innovative features etc.
problem is they lose 50% in the UK 2nd hand market.

at least over here, if you cannot find an early Anderson, a used MM is the best value US-made guitar one can get.

My views reflect my personal preferences, obvs

Last edited:
Before COVID, EBMM guitar prices were reasonable, and you could often negotiate a significant discount at a dealer if you had cash. Spending $4,000-$5,000 on a John Petrucci model now seems excessive, so I've turned to the used market. I've never paid more than $2,700 for a new JP, and that was only because I really "needed" that purple Majesty!

I owned about 5 or 6 of their guitars back in the day and they were a great value and very well made but now with the price hikes I'm not sure I'd go that route for the cash, I'd love a new axis but they're just too much for me to justify.

It may have been a one off but the last couple I tried - a sabre and a cutlass I believe - the fit and finish didn't seem to be what it once was to me.

I own two of the old EVH models and three more Axis models. I love them more than any other guitar ever. I don't need anymore and there's no need to buy new. But they are worth every penny I paid for mine.

I love MM guitars and basses. While I do agree they are overpriced new, they have some of the best used values out there.

Every EB/MM guitar I’ve played has been tiny. Small/little guitars aren’t my thing. And yes they seem awfully pricey across the board for bolt on guitars

I’ve had a JP6,
Two majesty’s (still own one, super comfortable and sexy (though it’s by far my worst sounding guitar)

And a bongo 5 that I love.

You used to be able to negotiate a good price on these things.

I think I paid 2100 new and 2300 new on the majesty’s:
IMG_8480.jpeg
sold the black one and wished I kept it for the Covid market :

IMG_8658.jpeg

Last edited:

Back