Ernie Ball / Music Man guitars are overpriced ...

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date

Ernie Bal / Music Man guitars are overpriced.

• Yay

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 23 41.1%

• Total voters
Maybe a bit more than their name demands, but not really anymore than most other US built mass production guitars, imo. Though not directly comparable model-wise; They do tend to use better wood and hardware than say Fender or Gibson on average.

They are overpriced mostly because they don't have a 1k "sweet spot" range of models

It's crappy sterlings then boom 2k standards with nothing in between

If the standard sabres and cutlasses were the same quality but 500$ less I'd probably buy one new.

Nope, not for me. Be great if they were less expensive, but still worth the price IMO.

My current favorite guitar is an EBMM Kaizen 6, I have a few; also have a Majesty 6, and plan to get another.

Love Ernie balls, my favourite guitars. I would not pay current prices but bought two Majesties new in the last few years a 7&8 and I think they are worth the cost.

I’m wishing I grabbed a bunch of JP6’s when they used to be in the 1000-1500 used price

Think a lot forget where EB's are made at. California's crazy taxes and living costs= higher prices. How much is a Suhr guitar now? Anderson guitars? Mesa Boogie? EB has to pay their employees a living wage.

the ones I had (around 7 Luke 2s and 3s) had nothing to be jealous of other high end guitars in terms of fit and finish, tones, proprietary innovative features etc.
problem is they lose 50% in the UK 2nd hand market.

at least over here, if you cannot find an early Anderson, a used MM is the best value US-made guitar one can get.

My views reflect my personal preferences, obvs

Last edited:
Before COVID, EBMM guitar prices were reasonable, and you could often negotiate a significant discount at a dealer if you had cash. Spending $4,000-$5,000 on a John Petrucci model now seems excessive, so I've turned to the used market. I've never paid more than $2,700 for a new JP, and that was only because I really "needed" that purple Majesty!

I owned about 5 or 6 of their guitars back in the day and they were a great value and very well made but now with the price hikes I'm not sure I'd go that route for the cash, I'd love a new axis but they're just too much for me to justify.

It may have been a one off but the last couple I tried - a sabre and a cutlass I believe - the fit and finish didn't seem to be what it once was to me.

I own two of the old EVH models and three more Axis models. I love them more than any other guitar ever. I don't need anymore and there's no need to buy new. But they are worth every penny I paid for mine.

I love MM guitars and basses. While I do agree they are overpriced new, they have some of the best used values out there.

Every EB/MM guitar I’ve played has been tiny. Small/little guitars aren’t my thing. And yes they seem awfully pricey across the board for bolt on guitars

I’ve had a JP6,
Two majesty’s (still own one, super comfortable and sexy (though it’s by far my worst sounding guitar)

And a bongo 5 that I love.

You used to be able to negotiate a good price on these things.

I think I paid 2100 new and 2300 new on the majesty’s:
IMG_8480.jpeg
sold the black one and wished I kept it for the Covid market :

IMG_8658.jpeg

Last edited:

Back