Undesirable Mesa Dual Rectifiers

• Thread starter Thread starter japetus
  • Start date Start date
japetus
japetus
I feel as though I have posted this long ago, but time has passed. And with time, opinions change.

What do the "Dual Recto Pros" consider the more "undesirable" Recto revisions, and why?

Road kings get shit on for being unreliable with the tube matrix per channel stuff. In theory it should work but I’ve read they’re headaches for actual gig reliability. Best they stay in a studio.

Non multi watt 3 channel rectifiers as stated are awful.

Pretty much everything else is fair game for tonal preferences and price.

Chrome faceplate rev F’s are complete and utter garbage. If you have one you want to throw in a dumpster please reach out to me and I’ll gladly take it off of your hands :D

Have/had many.

Single Recs and Mini Recs are not on par with the Dual and Triples. Not saying they can't sound good.

I've had multiwatt and non multiwatt 3 channels at the same time and they are not that different honestly.

I find the tubes used can make or break them. Both preamp and power tubes.

Last edited:
The regular 3 channel non MW is nowhere near as “bad” as some say. The loop being parallel and cleans being meh probably make it the least desirable but they’re still good sounding amps. Any full power recto is pretty damn good, my least favorite probably being the roadster. It was always a little harder to get them to sit where I wanted in the mix and it is a little too easy to get lost in the mix. I always felt the sweep on the controls was different than the others and weaker as well. I have owned a few and personally it is my least desirable model.

I have a 3 channel. It’s a great amp. It’s all in how you dial them in. Next to my buddy’s rev G? It holds it own. Prefer the Tremoverb to all of them.

The non-MW 3 channel Rectos are considered as least desirable.
But (!) what most people don’t know, is, that they went through revisions as well! :oops:
The first revision, which is C, is considered sounding like a RevG 2 channel.

Here’s a picture of a 3 channel non-MW C+

Attachments

• IMG_9072.jpeg
    IMG_9072.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 30
I feel as though I have posted this long ago, but time has passed. And with time, opinions change.

What do the "Dual Recto Pros" consider the more "undesirable" Recto revisions, and why?
All of them, but I just don't like the can of bee's tone. Others mileage may vary. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Had a single 50w trem or whatever it was called, my bud let me know what settings worked and it was pretty good, but then I fiddled with the knobs and it was bad.

Now running a Rev G Triple and everything sounds amazing.

Is a triple rec bigger/louder than a 2203? Or does a 2203 cut more because of mids?

What is your favorite Mesa? Mine was my old .22+
Funny you should ask. My friend Paul had a killer 2C+. It just dripped tone. This was when I have a few 2C++ heads (long before the current rage), so naturally we both thought it would be incredible with a ++ mod. When he got it back the amps sucked. It just lost everything it had. We were both talking about that amp today. I like Mike B, but he just does a standard mod and there is no guarantee it will come out good...even if the underlying amp sounds killer before the mod.

Back