Undesirable Mesa Dual Rectifiers

• Thread starter Thread starter japetus
  • Start date Start date
Funny you should ask. My friend Paul had a killer 2C+. It just dripped tone. This was when I have a few 2C++ heads (long before the current rage), so naturally we both thought it would be incredible with a ++ mod. When he got it back the amps sucked. It just lost everything it had. We were both talking about that amp today. I like Mike B, but he just does a standard mod and there is no guarantee it will come out good...even if the underlying amp sounds killer before the mod.
Had the same experience with the Soldano mod for Marshall’s. My bandmate had an 800 2203 with Soldano’s extra tube, gain mod and it just ripped. The gain sounded like a pure extension of the amp and was a rock n roll machine. I got the same mod done to a ‘78 2203 I’d had for 10 years (so was a little bored with it) and it just didn’t come even close to the other guitarists 800. I thought they would tune it for the amp but it was obvious they just dump in the mod with the same values, little prebuilt board etc and call it good. I sold the amp within a month. 😔

This one. I bought it because I’ve read so much on forums that it’s the original Dual Recto. I didn’t sound anything like Korn!

1725092336208.jpeg

I like my 3ch non-multiwatt recto, sounds like a natural disaster, rattles the walls more than any other amp I’ve played. I think it’s from 2004. I never use the loop though (it’s truely awful), and mostly stick to channel 2 modern. Channel 3 modern only sometimes sounds good to me, when I’m in the mood for the extra-aggressive sound it has. I also like the cleans but I’m hardly a picky person about cleans.

The oldest of these amps are almost 25 years old, get ready for everyone to love them when they become vintage.

I would guess if you ran the preamp of a Soldano into the power amp of a Rectifier the preamps would sound pretty different too.

As for modifications I have heard more bad ones than good.

I like my 3ch non-multiwatt recto, sounds like a natural disaster, rattles the walls more than any other amp I’ve played. I think it’s from 2004. I never use the loop though (it’s truely awful), and mostly stick to channel 2 modern. Channel 3 modern only sometimes sounds good to me, when I’m in the mood for the extra-aggressive sound it has. I also like the cleans but I’m hardly a picky person about cleans.

The oldest of these amps are almost 25 years old, get ready for everyone to love them when they become vintage.
It's Pre-Gibson.

To my knowledge, the only difference between orange and red modern on this amps is the taper of the presence pot. Sp basically, having the presence of red at 9-10 o’clock should bring you in orange territory?

To my knowledge, the only difference between orange and red modern on this amps is the taper of the presence pot. Sp basically, having the presence of red at 9-10 o’clock should bring you in orange territory?
The presence r/c filter is slightly different as well, 22k resistor vs 33k resistor on channel 2.

Also in modern mode the treble cab in the tonestack is 680p, vs 500p on channel 2.

10BFFCC7-3D61-466A-BDEF-E9683136CAA3.jpeg

Funny you should ask. My friend Paul had a killer 2C+. It just dripped tone. This was when I have a few 2C++ heads (long before the current rage), so naturally we both thought it would be incredible with a ++ mod. When he got it back the amps sucked. It just lost everything it had. We were both talking about that amp today. I like Mike B, but he just does a standard mod and there is no guarantee it will come out good...even if the underlying amp sounds killer before the mod.
I have a similar story with my first C+....which I found at a GC in upstate NY as a 2C SRG combo. When I got the amp, I gigged with it right away and was blown away with the tone...it was so rude, raw and vicious it took the teeth from a White Shark. Had this amazing clarity and feel....so, of course I thought after the + mod it would be even better! And, I HAD to mod it to a C+ right??
Well, it came back smooth and bouncy and cool, of course, but it lost that raw rudeness that I've never heard really from any amp including Marshalls. It reminded me of the Trainwreck clips I hear on YouTube. My sound guy told me out of all the different amps I've brought to gigs, that one was the best.

I paid 750 for it, sold it for 2500 eventually but damn do I regret modding that amp.

Back