you know.....Ace Frehley actually invented tapping

• Thread starter Thread starter 311splawndude
  • Start date Start date
Yeah I know where you are coming from but the album has just not aged well with me. Dynasty...ok, I can deal with that but then Unmasked when stuff like Back in Black, British Steel and Blizzard was dropping. Just way to much stuff that came out in 1980 that heavily influenced me...I mean Blizzard changed the direction of my playing. I mean literally I was content being the rhythm player in my little school bands, playing my original Ibanez PS10 guitar to wanting to be on the only player in the band because of Randy and buying a Kramer and installing the Floyd myself with zero concept of proper distance between nut and bridge lol.

Some fans, especially players grow up with artists and they have these points where I got to, where they move past their bands for one reason or the other. And I can understand it because I hit that point with Kiss during the Unmasked era but I still stuck around.
Yeah, when Blizzard dropped the entire world changed for everyone. Those two RR albums are still the best Ozzy albums by a large margin. In fact I would say without Randy and Bob Daisley Ozzy would likely have faded into relative obscurity.

One thing that isn't subjective or opinion. When Kiss had all 4 original members, prior to Dynasty, they were the biggest band in the world.

They never achieved mega success like that again.
No doubt about that. Most bands that break super big have that initial run where they are top of the rock.

The trick is hanging around when you get knocked off. And that's why I have nothing but respect for Gene and Paul lasting 50 years in a business that few last past their initial hit.

No doubt about that. Most bands that break super big have that initial run where they are top of the rock.

The trick is hanging around when you get knocked off. And that's why I have nothing but respect for Gene and Paul lasting 50 years in a business that few last past their initial hit.
Totally agree.

Reactions: rsm
Yeah, when Blizzard dropped the entire world changed for everyone. Those two RR albums are still the best Ozzy albums by a large margin. In fact I would say without Randy and Bob Daisley Ozzy would likely have faded into relative obscurity.
And I totally agree as well. And to tie this back to Kiss why I freaking loved Creatures. I mean it was bombastic, it was the middle finger to everyone who thought they had faded in oblivion. The solo work on that album...I mean Ace is on the cover but everyone knew that wasn't Ace. No way Ace could play the solo on the title track or any of those solos.

You should circle back to that album one day and give it a fresh listen.

Yeah I know where you are coming from but the album has just not aged well with me. Dynasty...ok, I can deal with that but then Unmasked when stuff like Back in Black, British Steel and Blizzard was dropping. Just way to much stuff that came out in 1980 that heavily influenced me...I mean Blizzard changed the direction of my playing. I mean literally I was content being the rhythm player in my little school bands, playing my original Ibanez PS10 guitar to wanting to be on the only player in the band because of Randy and buying a Kramer and installing the Floyd myself with zero concept of proper distance between nut and bridge lol.

Some fans, especially players grow up with artists and they have these points where I got to, where they move past their bands for one reason or the other. And I can understand it because I hit that point with Kiss during the Unmasked era but I still stuck around.
Completely get your point!

I'm starting to think our big difference is you coming up in the 70's and me being that age in the 80's?
I got my first guitar around '85.

I'm starting to think our big difference is you coming up in the 70's and me being that age in the 80's?
I got my first bass in 1977. I was 9. My dad was a bass player and Gene Simmons was god to me at that age.

It was a Kay SG copy. I saved birthday and Christmas money for it. $80.

Yep. I started playing the year before Van Halen came out. It was all Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Queen etc... I just wanted to play rhythms. EVH blows up, Journey blows up, and I'm still just focusing on rhythm.

Then Rhoads hit and game over. Was the first time I heard something and went, yep that's it, that's exactly how I want to play. Totally committed myself to advancing my playing. Then it was just an onslaught of incredible players from the 80's like Vivian, Lynch, Sykes.

What's crazy and to tie this back to Kiss, it was Revenge that ushered in the next big shift in my playing. Kulick was just a monster on that album - most of the flash was gone and his playing was more guttural. That album allowed me to take another step, to stay contemporary with the times and put the shred in the background and I fully embraced stuff like AIC and that movement. I stayed pretty contemporary in my music and playing up until about 10-12 years ago. And then it just stopped, there was really nothing new that I wanted to hear anymore.

For years I couldn't listen to all the stuff I grew up on, I avoided it as much as I could and now...with age lol, I'm back to my roots. Scott Gorham, Gary Moore (not that blues crap), Neal Schon, early Ace, EVH and of course most of those guys that hit in the early 80's like Vivian and Sykes.

Reactions: rsm
I got my first bass in 1977. I was 9. My dad was a bass player and Gene Simmons was god to me at that age.

It was a Kay SG copy. I saved birthday and Christmas money for it. $80.
I got an Aria Explorer in metallic silver with binding, heaviest guitar ever.
And it didnt have the goofy switches and effects built in, looked just like a Gibson.
Always on the lookout for one just like it.

Then traded for a Kay bss myself in Watertown, NY.
Kind of a red and black burst.

Like you, my world was Gene, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton and Geddy Lee.
And Sir Paul.
Loved the early Beatles material...

Yep. I started playing the year before Van Halen came out. It was all Kiss, Thin Lizzy, Queen etc... I just wanted to play rhythms. EVH blows up, Journey blows up, and I'm still just focusing on rhythm.

Then Rhoads hit and game over. Was the first time I heard something and went, yep that's it, that's exactly how I want to play. Totally committed myself to advancing my playing. Then it was just an onslaught of incredible players from the 80's like Vivian, Lynch, Sykes.

What's crazy and to tie this back to Kiss, it was Revenge that ushered in the next big shift in my playing. Kulick was just a monster on that album - most of the flash was gone and his playing was more guttural. That album allowed me to take another step, to stay contemporary with the times and put the shred in the background and I fully embraced stuff like AIC and that movement. I stayed pretty contemporary in my music and playing up until about 10-12 years ago. And then it just stopped, there was really nothing new that I wanted to hear anymore.

For years I couldn't listen to all the stuff I grew up on, I avoided it as much as I could and now...with age lol, I'm back to my roots. Scott Gorham, Gary Moore (not that blues crap), Neal Schon, early Ace, EVH and of course most of those guys that hit in the early 80's like Vivian and Sykes.
Love all that.

After Pantera I went on a 25 year trip, literally.
Grateful Dead and Allman Brothers by 1994 (?)

Last handful of years I've gone back to my roots as well...KISS, VH, AC/DC, WASP, Scorps etc.

My guitar playing, I'll say, I tend to play in the style of the Allmans and Blackberrry Smoke or ZZ Top, but it doesn't always come across like that.:LOL:

didn’t Stanley come out of the closet for a minute like Jagger did? and how does one return to the closet?

Alive II was the beginning and the end for me.

didn’t Stanley come out of the closet for a minute like Jagger did? and how does one return to the closet?

Alive II was the beginning and the end for me.
Cock once in your mouth, gay for a lifetime.

Alive II is pretty lame.
But the three albums its comprised of kinda suck. Suck.
Well, Rock & Roll Over is still cool...

Actually still have the big, round album cover sticker in the sleeve of my R&RO record.

Cock once in your mouth, gay for a lifetime.

Alive II is pretty lame.
But the three albums its comprised of kinda suck. Suck.
Well, Rock & Roll Over is still cool...

Actually still have the big, round album cover sticker in the sleeve of my R&RO record.
not gonna argue

I got an Aria Explorer in metallic silver with binding, heaviest guitar ever.
And it didnt have the goofy switches and effects built in, looked just like a Gibson.
Always on the lookout for one just like it.

Then traded for a Kay bss myself in Watertown, NY.
Kind of a red and black burst.

Like you, my world was Gene, Steve Harris, Cliff Burton and Geddy Lee.
And Sir Paul.
Loved the early Beatles material...
Oh yeah. By the time I was 14 I was a bona fide Yes/Rush fanatic. By then I had my '74 4001 ( I traded an American P bass and the ol' script logo D+ for it) I got into The Beatles when I was about 16, but I never put flats on the Ric until many years later and then I didn't leave them on for long. When I was 15 I had a band comprised of me and my best friend ( who grew up an Ace Frehley acolyte) and a drummer named Moose. We did lots of Sabbath, Montrose, Yes, Rush, Guess Who, etc.. We were playing in bars in Jeffco long before we were legal.

I dig everything from Rubber Soul on the most. A few songs here and there earlier, but Rubber Soul and Revolver blew my mind.

Ace Frehley invents tappin' dat ass (1977)

Bfj4qKQ.png
Back when wimmens were naturally beautiful & endowed.

Back