Don't be gay and buy a 5150....

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

Well, idk about this pedal. Never tried UAD's stuff so can't speak for its quality.

But when I got my 5150ii from Japan, the original owner packed it in a single layer of bubble wrap under a form-fitting box (because he thought it was just going to some warehouse in Japan lol he didn't know it was going to an overseas shipping service)... it sat at that warehouse for more than a month, and at some point while shipping overseas, it was loaded upside down, was accidentally dropped at least twice (once by the courier, once by me)...

I literally just unpacked it, plugged it in and turned it up and it worked perfectly like it had always been here. Can't complain

Do people who preorder and register those pedals online through the required bluetooth phone app get access to more downloadable modes and parameters than the people who don't want to put up with that shit?

Imagine finding an 80's TubeScreamer and thinking "I bet this would sound good if I could adjust the Tone knob. All I need to adjust the Tone control is to use an old serial cable to plug it into a Windows 3.1 computer and download the special app you can't find anymore."

Fuck UA pedals and anybody else who ties guitar pedals of all things to FOMO shit like forced online registration to unlock everything the pedal has to offer, and adjustable parameters hidden behind forced bluetooth apps that will be depreciated and unusable (along with any hardware they run on) LONG before the pedal itself would die.

Last edited:
Fuck UA pedals and anybody else who ties guitar pedals of all things to FOMO shit like forced online registration to unlock everything the pedal has to offer, and forced bluetooth apps that will be depreciated and unusable (along with any hardware they run on) LONG before the pedal itself would die.
Bingo.

I've bought one UAFX pedal. This was my experience:

1) The feature I bought the pedal for required the app to use.
2) Before I could use that feature I had to update the pedal's firmware.
3) To update the firmware I had to download and install a device manager on my computer. This piece of software turned out to be quite buggy.
4) Getting my computer to recognize the pedal was its own struggle
5) The firmware update crashed several times before completion.
6) Connecting the pedal to my phone via Bluetooth proved to be just as much of a struggle
7) Once the pedal was finally configured the way I wanted, it still didn't work right. A 500mA output on my CS12 was insufficient to supply needed power
8) When the pedal doesn't have enough power it reboots, like a computer. This takes several seconds. While rebooting the signal cuts out completely

After all this I ended up dumping the pedal and going a different route.

The fact that these pedal are all the exact same hardware, just with a different piece of software loaded, is fucking annoying. Despite the wealth of features and the entirely digital construction, it has no option for preset saving or MIDI control.

These pedals suck. All of the downsides of digital cranked up to 11 without any of the upsides - other than pure sound quality.

Do people who preorder and register those pedals online through the required bluetooth phone app get access to more downloadable modes and parameters than the people who don't want to put up with that shit?

Imagine finding an 80's TubeScreamer and thinking "I bet this would sound good if I could adjust the Tone knob. All I need to adjust the Tone control is to use an old serial cable to plug it into a Windows 3.1 computer and download the special app you can't find anymore."

Fuck UA pedals and anybody else who ties guitar pedals of all things to FOMO shit like forced online registration to unlock everything the pedal has to offer, and forced bluetooth apps that will be depreciated and unusable (along with any hardware they run on) LONG before the pedal itself would die.
That's not the way it works, they don't put the necessary stuff into the app. It's just the "extra" stuff that doesn't affect the pedals functionality or requirements.

Honestly was considering their memory man but if a bunch of features are behind stupid-ass firmware walls, nope, will find a diamond memory lane instead.

Oh, and this doesn't sound anywhere near as good as an actual 5150 lmfao

Definitely get the Diamond instead

Bingo.

I've bought one UAFX pedal. This was my experience:

1) The feature I bought the pedal for required the app to use.
2) Before I could use that feature I had to update the pedal's firmware.
3) To update the firmware I had to download and install a device manager on my computer. This piece of software turned out to be quite buggy.
4) Getting my computer to recognize the pedal was its own struggle
5) The firmware update crashed several times before completion.
6) Connecting the pedal to my phone via Bluetooth proved to be just as much of a struggle
7) Once the pedal was finally configured the way I wanted, it still didn't work right. A 500mA output on my CS12 was insufficient to supply needed power
8) When the pedal doesn't have enough power it reboots, like a computer. This takes several seconds. While rebooting the signal cuts out completely

After all this I ended up dumping the pedal and going a different route.

The fact that these pedal are all the exact same hardware, just with a different piece of software loaded, is fucking annoying. Despite the wealth of features and the entirely digital construction, it has no option for preset saving or MIDI control.

These pedals suck. All of the downsides of digital cranked up to 11 without any of the upsides - other than pure sound quality.
Not sure what pedal you had but I use the Ruby, Dream and Lion and they are fine out the box. I'm powering then with the 200 ma each power supply port on a Walrus Audio Aetos and there's no pc software, they connect Bluetooth to the phone and unlock the IR's that way, not by Windows/iOS. Once those get unlocked, they don't ever get locked back but I see your point. I just can't see someone buying them for that.

Honestly was considering their memory man but if a bunch of features are behind stupid-ass firmware walls, nope, will find a diamond memory lane instead.

Oh, and this doesn't sound anywhere near as good as an actual 5150 lmfao
It's been exagerrated a bit. I mean, nobody complains about ToneX, TC Electronic or Strymon which are far worse with their apps but here we are.

Back