Don't be gay and buy a 5150....

Bro I've probably seen 300 posts about how dogshit the ToneX app is, and even people selling it just for that reason
But even so, that's not the same.

There's no firmware updates for UAFX amp sim pedals, and highly doubt there will ever be. The registration app is a phone app you sign into once, connect to Bluetooth and it simply unlocks the 2 extra speaker IR's. You don't mess with anything.

There's the UAFX Control app is a phone app that let's you Control the pedal and create/store presets wirelessly but there's nothing in that app that you can't do with the actual pedal (that's why the pedals have the alt knobs to expand their control). It's literally a companion app that makes it easier to do stuff while you're away. Kinda pointless but it's there.

So it's not even really like the ToneX, TC Electronic or Positive Grid Spark apps where you can only access things with an app.

That's not the way it works, they don't put the necessary stuff into the app. It's just the "extra" stuff that doesn't affect the pedals functionality or requirements.

I disagree man. UA can frame the situation in their favor by calling that stuff "extra" all they want but the fact is that software exists that UA developed for the pedal that COULD have included by default, but instead UA chose to withhold it from anybody who doesn't go to the trouble of registering the pedals online by installing a bunch of proprietary software on their phone or PC. The way I see it is that they're not rewarding you with extra stuff for registering but instead they're punishing you by keeping functionality from you UNLESS you jump through whatever hoops they ask from you first.

To me that tells me 100% that the people making these pedals are more interested in bragging to their bosses about number-go-up "engagement statistics" than creating a great product with functionality, sound quality, and longevity as the top priority, and personally I want no part of that business model.

Countdown to when they start making you pay a subscription service for these things, and you have to connect them to the internet every week to reset the "brick the pedal" countdown timer unless your account is up to date.

Countdown to when they start making you pay a subscription service for these things, and you have to connect them to the internet every week to reset the "brick the pedal" countdown timer unless your account is up to date.
I don't see UAFX doing this but Positive Grid literally already are doing this and they are the number one selling amp with the least re-sale/used sale count. People seem to love it and can't really blame them, the Positive Grid amps are great solid state amps - I have the Go which has only one knob (guitar volume), everything else is through a phone app. It's cheaply made with a cheap price.

When it comes to something like Positive Grid amps, I don't expect something so digital and so cheap to last forever realistically because it's not a tube amp. I also don't pay for anything in the app, I just create presets and store them.. that said, it's portable and expendable.

But I also can't see any of these completely app driven devices totally useless in 60 years when the apps are long unsupported. I say that because there seems to always be someone who can easily reverse engineer a small app like these. Great example would be the Zoom MS and CDR pedals that are getting hacked - instead of Zoom suing or working to remove the hacks, they encouraged the creativity.

Last edited:

Don't be gay and buy a 5150....​

Instead buy the Anti, it sounds better.

esteban-music-2-20211124.jpg

Not sure what pedal you had but I use the Ruby, Dream and Lion and they are fine out the box. I'm powering then with the 200 ma each power supply port on a Walrus Audio Aetos and there's no pc software, they connect Bluetooth to the phone and unlock the IR's that way, not by Windows/iOS. Once those get unlocked, they don't ever get locked back but I see your point. I just can't see someone buying them for that.
I had the Max compressor.

The feature I had to unlock was dual mono routing, so I could use it in two places in my chain. This was a feature added in a subsequent firmware update, so I had to update the pedal with my computer.

UAFX amp pedals may or may not have had firmware updates adding features yet, but they most easily could.

There's the UAFX Control app is a phone app that let's you Control the pedal and create/store presets wirelessly but there's nothing in that app that you can't do with the actual pedal (that's why the pedals have the alt knobs to expand their control). It's literally a companion app that makes it easier to do stuff while you're away. Kinda pointless but it's there.
The app contains numerous settings that are only accessible through the app.

Just with the Anti as an example, there are three footswitch configurations and eight settings that can only be changed through the app: Overdrive type, Input Routing, Bright Switch, Rhythm Mode, Noise Gate enable and settings, Bias Mode and Post Gain. None of these parameters can be changed on the pedal itself, other than switching the gate on and off (which requires you to use the app to change the footswitch mode).

I had the Max compressor.

The feature I had to unlock was dual mono routing, so I could use it in two places in my chain. This was a feature added in a subsequent firmware update, so I had to update the pedal with my computer.
I haven't really ever used any pedals by UAFX aside from their amp sim pedals but I've only heard good things. I mean, once in a great while, I've seen someone out of the blue say "Why are so many UAFX pedals on the market?" But generally it's just a troll to heat up discussion (tracking on Reverb shows there's not as nearly as many as people claim).
UAFX amp pedals may or may not have had firmware updates adding features yet, but they most easily could.
I think if they would have for Ruby, Dream and Woodrow which came out pretty much at the same time, they would have by now though. I think it's safe to assume they won't. I don't think Lion will either. Can't really say for the Anti.
The app contains numerous settings that are only accessible through the app.

Just with the Anti as an example, there are three footswitch configurations and eight settings that can only be changed through the app: Overdrive type, Input Routing, Bright Switch, Rhythm Mode, Noise Gate enable and settings, Bias Mode and Post Gain. None of these parameters can be changed on the pedal itself, other than switching the gate on and off (which requires you to use the app to change the footswitch mode).
Interesting. So in other words UAFX is doing what Strymon, ToneX, Boss and every other major brand who does Amp Sim/IR pedals has been doing. How sad.

I have the UA Ruby pedal; got the extras (a few extra speakers and cabs IIRC) after I purchased it, there's an editor for PC/Mac; I never used the software since I updated the pedal. Short of them adding an EF86 channel, it has all the vintage Vox speakers and 1x12, 2x12, normal, top boost and vibrato channels. Not much else they could really add that I'd want, except an EF86 preamp.

I use it with my digital Vox "super" Continental system; in the early/mid '60s they'd run these Vox organs into Vox guitar amps, which is what I'm using it for. Also using an H9 for more / better effects:

Vox Continental - dual - H9 - Ruby - Small.JPG

I have the UA Ruby pedal; got the extras (a few extra cabs) after I purchased it, there's an editor for PC/Mac; I never used the software since I updated the pedal. Short of them adding an EF86 channel, it has all the vintage Vox speakers and 1x12, 2x12, normal, top boost and vibrato channels. Not much else they could really add that I'd want, except an EF86 preamp.

I use it with my digital Vox "super" Continental system; in the early/mid '60s they'd run these Vox organs into Vox guitar amps, which is what I'm using it for. Also using an H9 for more / better effects:

View attachment 342874
I have the Ruby, Dream and Lion (each on their own respective boards) and never felt the need for the amp either. I can't imagine my results to be any different with the Anti. I have a Helix, Pod Go, have used the ToneX, Kemper and the UAFX have made me the happiest among all of them.

That said, I do want to try the new cheap Zoom MS80IR that just came out 😆 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: rsm
I have the UA Ruby pedal; got the extras (a few extra cabs) after I purchased it, there's an editor for PC/Mac; I never used the software since I updated the pedal. Short of them adding an EF86 channel, it has all the vintage Vox speakers and 1x12, 2x12, normal, top boost and vibrato channels. Not much else they could really add that I'd want, except an EF86 preamp.

View attachment 342874
The sworn enemy of every guitarist right there.

• Haha
Reactions: rsm
I have the Ruby, Dream and Lion (each on their own respective boards) and never felt the need for the amp either. I can't imagine my results to be any different with the Anti. I have a Helix, Pod Go, have used the ToneX, Kemper and the UAFX have made me the happiest among all of them.

That said, I do want to try the new cheap Zoom MS80IR that just came out 😆 🤣
I'm looking at delay pedals to run in the loop of my DSL40CR; Zoom MS-70CDR+ looks and sounds good. having the noise gate in there, as well as the other effects, are a bonus

I haven't really ever used any pedals by UAFX aside from their amp sim pedals but I've only heard good things. I mean, once in a great while, I've seen someone out of the blue say "Why are so many UAFX pedals on the market?" But generally it's just a troll to heat up discussion (tracking on Reverb shows there's not as nearly as many as people claim).

I think if they would have for Ruby, Dream and Woodrow which came out pretty much at the same time, they would have by now though. I think it's safe to assume they won't. I don't think Lion will either. Can't really say for the Anti.

Interesting. So in other words UAFX is doing what Strymon, ToneX, Boss and every other major brand who does Amp Sim/IR pedals has been doing. How sad.
The Lion and Anti have both received tweaks via Firmware updates, along with numerous other pedals.

I can't speak for Strymon or ToneX, but every Boss pedal I've used that has a software does not require it to access any features on the pedal, other than functions that neccesitate interfacing with a computer (such as IR loading).

Firmware and editors aren't really a problem because those pieces of software can be archived, backed up, etc. The problem is requiring an app to access functions of the pedal. An app can be taken down, discontinued, etc.

I look at video games that have their online servers deactivated. Just like that, the game you paid for is gone.

Such a practice has no place in the guitar world.

Firmware and editors aren't really a problem because those pieces of software can be archived, backed up, etc. The problem is requiring an app to access functions of the pedal. An app can be taken down, discontinued, etc.

I look at video games that have their online servers deactivated. Just like that, the game you paid for is gone.

Such a practice has no place in the guitar world.
I don't play many video games but I do know how the server/anti-tamper coding within that industry works. There's no "proprietary" code in the apps for something like Positive Grid, Zoom, or other products within the pedal industry. Totally different types of industries and money is made in totally different ways.

Like I said before, Zoom pedals have already had their apps and pedal software reverse engineered to hack their pedals. Other pedals from different brands too. Pedal brands don't put in as much to coding as video game programmers do. An app can be easily made, it's likely that a company will open some lawsuit but if the app was taken down, I don't see it being a problem with any company like UAFX or any other brand.

I don't play many video games but I do know how the server/anti-tamper coding within that industry works. There's no "proprietary" code in the apps for something like Positive Grid, Zoom, or other products within the pedal industry. Totally different types of industries and money is made in totally different ways.

Like I said before, Zoom pedals have already had their apps and pedal software reverse engineered to hack their pedals. Other pedals from different brands too. Pedal brands don't put in as much to coding as video game programmers do. An app can be easily made, it's likely that a company will open some lawsuit but if the app was taken down, I don't see it being a problem with any company like UAFX or any other brand.
Counting on a 3rd party replacement app to be developed by the community, just to overcome a shittified design philosophy... no thanks.

So many good alternatives out there to make it not worth it. I swapped my MAX comp for a pair of good old MXR pedals, the Dyna Comp and the Studio Comp, for less money total and zero hassles.

Back