Alex Van Halen 1st Interview Since Ed’s Death

• Thread starter Thread starter PurityS.L.G
  • Start date Start date
VH seriously considered Ozzy? Can you imagine Ozzy singing the back catalog? Every word of every song would sound like that one famous fumbled DLR line in Everybody Wants Some!!

Ed spent a lifetime screwing people over especially his bandmates and never made that right.
IDK why anyone would think everything is roses just cuz the guy died.
I don't disagree with that.

Ed had a bad side for sure. You could see and read that in interviews through the years. Nothing was ever his fault, always someone else. I think had they had patience with Roth during the MTV thing that reunion would have been as big as the Kiss reunion. And where Kiss automatically became nostalgia, IMO it would have been very different for VH where they could actually remain a viable recording band.

Ed and Dave, classic case of two guys that were better together than apart. And two guys that had and have alot of issues.

I love Dave but the whole point of getting back out there after Ed's passing was to honor Ed - kinda hard to fathom even for someone with an ego as big as Dave having a hard time honoring the guy. Regardless wouldn't have happened anyway due to Alex's health.

Alex is surely enjoying the income Sammy’s years provided. Without Hagar, the Van Halen’s probably would be broke today.

Looking forward to reading the article and all of your comments too :yes:

Was honored to be a 'seat filler' playing with Roth and Alex was pretty awesome! Thought we sounded pretty good, we were set to do NYE gigs in Vegas the end of that year, who knows what could have happenned, At the time Alex was pretty happy with my playing I thought we grooved pretty well together!
That must have been really cool to groove with Alex.
Alex is surely enjoying the income Sammy’s years provided. Without Hagar, the Van Halen’s probably would be broke today.
Why ? Seems the brothers were not retarded with finances.

I'm sure Hagar was enjoying having a great guitarist EVH and song writer EVH to have helped him get the platinum.

Was honored to be a 'seat filler' playing with Roth and Alex was pretty awesome! Thought we sounded pretty good, we were set to do NYE gigs in Vegas the end of that year, who knows what could have happenned, At the time Alex was pretty happy with my playing I thought we grooved pretty well together!

Wow, fricken awesome.

That is a FACT, the early VH is a monster.
Mowing lawns in Cali summer 1983 I must have played VH 1 and FairWarning 2 trillion times a piece.
Very cool. I was mowing lawns in the summer of 1983 also, while listening to Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell and a Samson cassette (Bruce Dickinson).

Roth hasn't been relevant since the 80's. He's an old man that clings to his past success. What has he done lately other than run his mouth?

I actually liked VHIII, but I don't have herd mentality. They should have stuck with him.

Nonsense. VH propped up Hagar a bazillion times more than Hagar helped VH. VH was already huge and could have gotten lots and lots of singers and kept on keeping on. Hagar just happened to be the lucky guy.

At the time, I liked the Hagar stuff but over the years the only stuff that sticks with me is the DLR era material. And that was just timing, not Hagar vs Dave. The best stuff was the early stuff…for me.

If Dave's solo career is any indication, VH could've faded had they stuck with that lineup. On the one hand I wish we got more material in general, on the other, how dry was the well? I try not to dwell on what never happened. There is enough action in real life that I don't need to live in fantasy land.

Nonsense. VH propped up Hagar a bazillion times more than Hagar helped VH. VH was already huge and could have gotten lots and lots of singers and kept on keeping on. Hagar just happened to be the lucky guy.

At the time, I liked the Hagar stuff but over the years the only stuff that sticks with me is the DLR era material. And that was just timing, not Hagar vs Dave. The best stuff was the early stuff…for me.
Which Era is better is subjective. Suggesting Sammy saved VH is laughably ridiculous.
If Dave's solo career is any indication, VH could've faded had they stuck with that lineup. On the one hand I wish we got more material in general, on the other, how dry was the well? I try not to dwell on what never happened. There is enough action in real life that I don't need to live in fantasy land.
Eat ‘em and Smile did pretty well and had at least 3 hit songs. Speculating on how long his voice would last past that point is just that, speculation

Here are their record sales:

https://bestsellingalbums.org/artist/13895

The first four: VH, VHII, Women & Children First and Fair Warning would have occurred on their initial record deal, where most of the proceeds went back to the record company. They are 22m of total sales, with the last having been their weakest to date, thereby reducing their bargaining position at renewal.

The other DLR records are 1984 (11m) and Diver Down (4.1m).

Total DLR sales, not counting compilation rereleases, about 35m, of 75m. Less than half.

Mix in rock star lifestyle's, divorces and addictions, and it’s not hard to imagine them not having a lot of money before Sammy arrived.

Micheal Jackson died with $500,000,000 of debt, he was far more popular, sold more records, and didn’t have three band mates to split the proceeds with.

Did they have a few million before Sammy, probably, did they have $20m each? I highly doubt it.

Eat ‘em and Smile did pretty well and had at least 3 hit songs. Speculating on how long his voice would last past that point is just that, speculation

Sure, after he was sounding good on Skyscraper, and sounded good on A Little Ain't Enough, but the songs weren't really there, and by 'Your Filthy Little Mouth' released in 94 basically the whole thing was toast. Not to say there wasn't decent songs, but it had no legs.

Sammy on the other hand, Balance coming out in 95 sounded great. And his presence was more appropriate for the 90s market.

Yeah, I don't see how his solo career has any indication on what would have happened to VH. When Dave left VH was the biggest band in the world, I really don't see how Dave staying would have negated VH's popularity. 1984 was their biggest album, just don't see them taking a step back at that point.

Back