Dylana at 3rd Power Amps to build Satriani his next amp for the tour

• Thread starter Thread starter 311splawndude
  • Start date Start date
It’s all about the trannies yo….

eda9c922-5729-43ac-80aa-384c63bf1c9d_text.gif

8d9fy8.gif

And I didn't know that Mike used a Splawn on that video. I def assumed it was a Marshall. Thanks for saying something
Mike is such a great guy and an incredible player. I remember talking with him at some length right after he released the Eruption vid. I know he did use a Variac to soften / limit wall voltage - but nothing crazy - maybe in the 90-100 range? He also assured me there was no boost between his guitar and the amp. If you listen, there isn’t even a Phase 90 swirling around and gently pushing the front end of the amp. I know the pickups in his ‘Himmelator’ guitar were definitely not of the low output, 8-9k PAF variety. They were pretty hot comparatively, but I honestly don’t remember what he had in the guitar at that time. Another thing I don’t know is what cab / speakers he used for that track.

But at the end of the day, he found that glassy ‘bite’ that you hear in the pick attack - particularly on the unwound strings - that really ‘sells’ the early VH tone. And no ‘weird’ or ‘honky’ mids that many complain about when talking Splawns. The rest is just all swing and feel and hrs and hrs and hrs of breaking down each little group of notes to get the rhythmic quality and accents right.

Between Mike Himmel, Al Estrada, and Jim Gaustad, there were arguably stronger choices for this particular project. But I also understand wanting a highly recognizable ‘name’ for all the media support. And I will readily say nobody can play Satriani like Satriani.

Thread didn’t disappoint!
Dear Creator,

Glad you approve. :cheers:

Please take off your coat and hang a while. (folks - that is a softball layup if I've ever seen one) :lol:

But FR - I had no idea this thread was going to go cray cray. I was just pointing out something I saw on FB :D

There are some new quotes out there from Joe but I'm not going to link it.

They are there. Something about not knowing Edward or his riffs - but he thought he new Alex really well and doesn't understand why he is not part of a tribute that was originally being planned back in 2022? Or did I say it wrong :dunno:

Oh well...more power to him x3

the fanboi in me would love to see alex, mike, roth, and nuno who has the rock star name recognition and who you know would do everything in his power to do justice to eddie’s legacy, as he was always a vh freak and would nail the tone and swing.

but nostalgia aside, the weak link in that chain would be dlr, who sounds more like an overweight Wisconsin soccer mom with a mouth full of jelly doughnuts screaming at junior to score at this point.

Back