Dylana at 3rd Power Amps to build Satriani his next amp for the tour

• Thread starter Thread starter 311splawndude
  • Start date Start date
Your smiley half stack is giving me tinnitus 😂

Just thinking about a quad of d120F through a Coli makes my ears ring. No way I’d be in the same room.
It’s a very intense sound to say the least LOL. For a more everyday, more versatile sound I like to use either Redbacks on top or heritage 20’s. Both might be the best speaker mixes I’ve heard so far for what I like in high gain. Celestions bring the mids that JBL’s lack and the JBL’s give kind of everything else lol

Your smiley half stack is giving me tinnitus 😂

Just thinking about a quad of d120F through a Coli makes my ears ring. No way I’d be in the same room.H
Hey, he started it :dunno:

:lol:

A full stack of D120F be like:

:uzi::uzi: :uzi:
:uzi: :uzi: :uzi:

😂
I've also done full quads of E120's and Crescendo's. E120's are ~23lbs a speaker, rated at 300 watts. Biggest low end I've heard in a speaker, but the D120F's sound more cutting to me still. The Crescendo's I think are ~21lbs and also have huge lows and highs. A lot of fun can be had with them

All this JBL D120 talk has got me curious about them again. Are there any good substitutes or clones that come close to the OG? Last couple times I’ve searched the resounding answer was nay
A less expensive/lower wattage version is the JBL D123....not sure what they go for lately but they sound very good as well. Just have to be careful as they are 20w speakers. In fact the JBL designer, of all their well known offerings was said to favor the 123s best for guitar. I've had a pair and they sound fantastic.

A less expensive/lower wattage version is the JBL D123....not sure what they go for lately but they sound very good as well. Just have to be careful as they are 20w speakers. In fact the JBL designer, of all their well known offerings was said to favor the 123s best for guitar. I've had a pair and they sound fantastic.
They’re great too (25w I believe) and I found sounded actually a bit more complex, gritty and sizzly in the highs, but they don’t have the huge low end punch of the big boy JBL’s and their mids sit in a different place that I found didn’t blend as naturally well with celestions as the D or E120’s

Not sure about what Dylana will build Satriani, but to use the current cool guy vernacular this little amp fucks as good as it looks :rock: :rock: :rock:

Wooly.JPG

Last edited:
I’m probably getting it wrong but the only jbl’s I’m familiar with are the old ones in fenders. They were worthless with distortion. However I am probably getting that wrong….so take it with a grain of salt…

I’m probably getting it wrong but the only jbl’s I’m familiar with are the old ones in fenders. They were worthless with distortion. However I am probably getting that wrong….so take it with a grain of salt…
They're a very "efficient" speaker.. akin to the ones Randy Rhoads opted for (Altec 417-H).

If anything, the thread made me check out 3rd Power amps. Their Kitchen Sink amp looks amazing.

It is amazing! I had my Kitchen Sink combo built in mid to late-2018 and took delivery in early 2019. It has been my main gigging amp ever since. I have never experienced more compliments from soundguys and other musicians on my live tone since I have used this amp. It takes pedals very well and adapts to so many different rooms extremely well. I am a major fan of 3rd Power.

Landing on this thread pretty late. Tried to scroll through to make sure I wasn't posting something that someone else already had. Satriani was 'the' JVM 410 Guy. Can the JVM do the 'Brown Sound'?? Well. this one had a few tweaks and tricks - but the clip speaks for itself (playing starts @ 3:45):

As far as Splawn, Mike Himmel recorded this version of Eruption through a 50 Watt Splawn QR. The B-roll includes clips of a 1987x, but the track was recorded with the Splawn:

^ Your second video no workie :dunno:

Shawn Taylor is the man though...that guy can rip :dunno:

Speaking of Splawn, it was also this video (and the stuff from Estrada) that made me want one.

Last edited:
The real problem with their safe space is it's their bedroom and "they" want to impose their beliefs on everyone outside of it. That's where we have a problem.
There’s always TGP.

I know the second video won’t ‘embed’ but you can click on the underlined ‘Watch on YouTube’ link it will redirect you. And it’s sure worth watching.

I know the second video won’t ‘embed’ but you can click on the underlined ‘Watch on YouTube’ link it will redirect you. And it’s sure worth watching.
Oh yeah. His JVM video is legendary.
And I didn't know that Mike used a Splawn on that video. I def assumed it was a Marshall. Thanks for saying something :cheers:

Reactions: PDC

Back