It's been a few months now looking for the verdict on the EVH Iconic EL34 head

• Thread starter Thread starter gbsmusic
  • Start date Start date
Cue the Freidman stack in section 8 housing apartment hallway/Jmp files vid 😂

Never done the sec 8 in my entire life. Matter of fact the Historic neigborhood ive lived the last 20 years sec 8 is Verboden as it attracts vermin.

images

97c2hi.jpg

97c44p.jpg

Last edited:
They're both good IMO

I prefer the peavey 5150s, but i actually like the iconic more than the EVHs
I love my stealth . I use the red channel and get it to sound exactly like Demanufacture . I’m telling you Collin Richardson has Dino use 5150 on it . That’s all I hear . I hear his Marshall in obsolete . I maje red Chanell right and clean

I love my stealth . I use the red channel and get it to sound exactly like Demanufacture . I’m telling you Collin Richardson has Dino use 5150 on it . That’s all I hear . I hear his Marshall in obsolete . I maje red Chanell right and clean
I had a Stealth 50w. It was great! I'd still have it, but traded it on the SLO. No regerts. ;)
I have to say, after some time with the Iconic EL34, I think I prefer it. It does a cranked plexi sound really well, has great cleans (both something the Stealth didn't do), and the hot channel does the modern sound great, without being as immediately gainy, or smooth plastic sounding. A bit more raw and grindy.

I'd like to pull the trigger on one. 2 things make me hesitate: 1. I have 0 need for one. 2. I read several complaints about people having failures/issues with theirs. Not just bad tubes or common stuff, but real issues due to the crappy build/parts of the amps.
Think quality is a legit issue? Perhaps they just needed to iron some stuff out with the first run?

I had a Stealth 50w. It was great! I'd still have it, but traded it on the SLO. No regerts. ;)
I have to say, after some time with the Iconic EL34, I think I prefer it. It does a cranked plexi sound really well, has great cleans (both something the Stealth didn't do), and the hot channel does the modern sound great, without being as immediately gainy, or smooth plastic sounding. A bit more raw and grindy.

I'd like to pull the trigger on one. 2 things make me hesitate: 1. I have 0 need for one. 2. I read several complaints about people having failures/issues with theirs. Not just bad tubes or common stuff, but real issues due to the crappy build/parts of the amps.
Think quality is a legit issue? Perhaps they just needed to iron some stuff out with the first run?
I’m opposite of plexi guy though . My mines been great for 4 years . No issues knock on wood

Last edited:

Man I don't like the evh red channel, but i can understand why ppl like it

It's over gained and too smooth imo

The blue sounds really good to me though, especially with a koko boost or something similar

Man I don't like the evh red channel, but i can understand why ppl like it

It's over gained and too smooth imo

The blue sounds really good to me though, especially with a koko boost or something similar
. It can be so tight and agressive when you don’t turn the gain to 10 and use a noise gate . I’ll make some clips when I get my computer . I’ve never had any of the problems on the red Chanel people say .Or I have really really differbt sounding one . I have a super agressive tone like demanufacture type tone .
Mines a 2020 that was scratch and dent on sale ( Msybe broken lol ??? Fr ) Its almost shocking when I hear the hate for red channel . I get why say a classic rock guy would hate it . I’m always so confused .

. It can be so tight and agressive when you don’t turn the gain to 10 and use a noise gate . I’ll make some clips when I get my computer . I’ve never had any of the problems on the red Chanel people say .Or I have really really differbt sounding one . I have a super agressive tone like demanufacture type tone .
Mines a 2020 that was scratch and dent on sale ( Msybe broken lol ??? Fr ) Its almost shocking when I hear the hate for red channel . I get why say a classic rock guy would hate it . I’m always so confused .

I'm not a classic rock guy at all obviously

Every time I have played one it just sounded way too compressed and over gained, to me

Like unusably so

I can see how it would be fun for leads, but not any serious recording or gigging

I love the blue channel on those tho for sure, if you can get a good tone out of the red id love to hear it

I have to pull the trigger on one if I don't like it I'll send it back, but at that price I just can't pass it up. I was in the market and really wanted to buy a SLO-100 but I just can't see spending that kind of money these days when all I do is play in my house. Don't get me wrong every time one comes up for sale I click right on them to see the price.:p

I'm not a classic rock guy at all obviously

Every time I have played one it just sounded way too compressed and over gained, to me

Like unusably so

I can see how it would be fun for leads, but not any serious recording or gigging

I love the blue channel on those tho for sure, if you can get a good tone out of the red id love to hear it
Do you use a noise gate with it . Mine red channel can be so tight for live playing it’s unreal .i been using it add band practice . I have no noise and it’s not a compressed sound . I actually use blue channel for leads because I found it weak fir metal playing . And im using a 8 string which many amos won’t stay tight and focused . I’m in drop E . Maybe it’s that I use tight ass Lundgred pups

Do you use a noise gate with it . Mine red channel can be so tight for live playing it’s unreal .i been using it add band practice . I have no noise and it’s not a compressed sound . I actually use blue channel for leads because I found it weak fir metal playing . And im using a 8 string which many amos won’t stay tight and focused . I’m in drop E . Maybe it’s that I use tight ass Lundgred pups

I always use a gate

Idk man I'm not the only one who thinks the red channel sounds over compressed and gained

I always use a gate

Idk man I'm not the only one who thinks the red channel sounds over compressed and gained
I know and that why I question people’s usage. All the knobs don’t need to be up all the way . Idk . I have zero problems on mine . I’ll get some clips. Idk maybe mines seriously wrong with it in a good way . Idk fr . Not saying you don’t know how to use either . I’m stumped because mines tight articulate . My gains on 6 with a tight gate . I also am not a afraid turn treble and presence high once gain is down . Idk it just slams .Lundgreds are so tight and articulate that they probably help too . When guys play through my tone on red channel they say it’s too tight and not enough gain . So I have always been stumped

Back