๐Ÿงธ LENZ AMPLIFICATION ??

• Thread starter Thread starter ChuggNorris
  • Start date Start date
ChuggNorris
ChuggNorris
Banned

Another modded jmp circuit priced at about $4500 shipped I believe...

Not so sure it's worth that...
These "builders" need to chill maybe ๐Ÿค

I might start building them also and charge 3000 if that's all we're doing these days is whoring the same build. I think guys have honed in hard on a very basic circuit with switches/mods. Sounds pretty much exactly like the other "builders" that have sprouted over the last 3-4 years. I think everyone is just buying one of the flavor of the month amps and just straight up copying now with the only variable being power tubes and the labels of the switches and name. ๐Ÿค”

FWIMBW I respect Eddy's ear and taste, so IMHO anything he does should wind up sounding superb.

IMHO.

It sounds very similar to the "new" circuits going around. I do like it, and feel like I could dial it to be more "me" with a heavy set of testicles.

But at 4500... I'm still surprised this is normal.

It sounds very similar to the "new" circuits going around. I do like it, and feel like I could dial it to be more "me" with a heavy set of testicles.

You ever go fucking with 600VDC to tune an amp for years on end while keeping the noise floor low and feature set high? Itโ€™s because thereโ€™s part design part art behind them. Itโ€™s also literally deadly. Not a lot of guys here want to go living on the edge like that day in and day out. Eddy learned the hard way how to get them to sound decent and heโ€™s good people. He also has a solid reputation on delivering amp mods and not trash. Yeah $4500 is expensive which is why I donโ€™t own one. I certainly donโ€™t discredit them because of it - I understand why he prices them that way and choose not to purchase and move on with my life.

You ever go fucking with 600VDC to tune an amp for years on end while keeping the noise floor low and feature set high? Itโ€™s because thereโ€™s part design part art behind them. Itโ€™s also literally deadly. Not a lot of guys here want to go living on the edge like that day in and day out. Eddy learned the hard way how to get them to sound decent and heโ€™s good people. He also has a solid reputation on delivering amp mods and not trash. Yeah $4500 is expensive which is why I donโ€™t own one. I certainly donโ€™t discredit them because of it - I understand why he prices them that way and choose not to purchase and move on with my life.

I feel like 2500ish would be fair.

I've grown up around voltage and tube technicians. And one of my close friends is actually a mesa certified tech so I frequent his building often messing with things. He is great. And he isn't well known, but he also builds very cool amps. And they are half this price. With very high quality parts and 40 years experience under his belt.

I am talking to him about getting on this hotrod marshall bandwagon because the market is so lit there right now and he can build a complete circuit from nothing unique to his own taste. He is like an American Jason Tong. He has some really unique stuff. It's kinda wrong I've opted to spend money on other German shit and not actually bought his designs. In all reality I should patronize him before I do "Diezel".

I'm not discrediting the Eddy man's skill!
I'm suggesting that 4500 shipped per amp is a litttttttttttle inflated for the circuit that it's based on... mean no disrespect. I'd LIKE to try one.

But at 4500 shipped....
hssjl3xrs1001.jpg

I donโ€™t think heโ€™s stateside for starters. Just like Mesa is an arm and a leg in the land down under. I feel like the Aussiโ€™s fight over Mesa amp scraps down there theyโ€™re so rare and expensive.

If you jump into that game only for the money youโ€™ll go broke trying. Anyone including myself will tell you to tool up and invest in that business model is a net negative for many years and only barely breaks even in this economy if youโ€™re actually good at what you do and your designs sell themselves.

And I donโ€™t know a friend of a friend who does it. My inbox is full of famous designers asking questions. Iโ€™ve got my own designs. I just know what it takes financially to jump into business mode correctly and if $4500 is too steep you definitely donโ€™t want to run the numbers on a business model.

I donโ€™t think heโ€™s stateside for starters. Just like Mesa is an arm and a leg in the land down under. I feel like the Aussiโ€™s fight over Mesa amp scraps down there theyโ€™re so rare and expensive.

If you jump into that game only for the money youโ€™ll go broke trying. Anyone including myself will tell you to tool up and invest in that business model is a net negative for many years and only barely breaks even in this economy if youโ€™re actually good at what you do and your designs sell themselves.

And I donโ€™t know a friend of a friend who does it. My inbox is full of famous designers asking questions. Iโ€™ve got my own designs. I just know what it takes financially to jump into business mode correctly and if $4500 is too steep you definitely donโ€™t want to run the numbers on a business model.

Are you guys related?

It's cool bro. Chill.

Also......

1608135387895.jpeg

๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

He is a member here, so maybe he will comment. Personally, I think it's a matter of demand and you can't make such small-batch products for free if you want to keep your business.
@EddyLenz

I feel like my personal issue is chassis design is so boring for almost every builder. I get that they are trying to appeal to everyone, so everything is black and looks like a marshall or whatever. I would feel better about spending a lot on my next amp that isn't just quality parts and build, but more unique in control layout, tolex patterns/colors/wood/stain/unusual materials/finishes, really anything, even shape. To me the proper touch in those areas would bring an amp's value up a decent amount by itself by setting itself apart and not just because of sought after parts and features.

Don't get me wrong, I would also love to have new tone shaping options and all of the fancy features (and less in some cases :ROFLMAO:). I feel like there is a ceiling for what I would spend on an amp, probably around $3-3.5k for high quality brand new, and to get me to that $5k mark it would not only have to sound and respond very special, but it would have to look special, too. Sorry I know that's dumb, but that's where I'm at.

All of that said, I would rather pay $4.5k for one of Eddies amps over a lot of the high production $3-4k ones. I would prefer they all come down in price. But if people are paying than it doesn't really matter what I would like ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

I feel like there are fair points on all sides of the thought process in this thread. I would also want to encourage people to evolve designs though for my money. Let's see something not just a different take, but not even the same thing. Take a risk and put it out there!

Yup, he's in Germany.

Yes. I think it's around 4200 plus shipping us dollar.

I think people are taking this the wrong way.

You can build an amp in 2 days. There's about a 75% profit margin or more on the parts involved. And you're not clocking in or slaving so you can look at labor a few different ways. If you enjoy it, and it makes money, is it labor?

You can get these tones with $2500 amps.

That's really all I'm saying.
It is inflated.
And it is a trend.

Folks denying that is fine.
Reasoning with it is fine.

For $4500 shipped though...
It's not blowing my skirt up
Any more than a souped up ceriatone.

I'd just as soon buy a Jubilee and mod that.
It's my opinion on the matter.

And I'm not sure why some guys get offended about such a simple opinion. It's too damn high.

Just get a helios used and do the same shit and use the extra thousands elsewhere. I know a professional builder who is local to me. He doesn't have to sell his amps at 4000- 4500 to stay in business.

So the people arguing that point of a "business model" aren't convincing me. You can run a successful company building quality amps at a 2500$ price point....

Anyone saying otherwise is sniffing glue. ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ

I feel like there are fair points on all sides of the thought process in this thread. I would also want to encourage people to evolve designs though for my money. Let's see something not just a different take, but not even the same thing. Take a risk and put it out there!

That's another thing. It's the same almost exact designs with different values on switches and different iron.

This is a gold rush on modded marshall platforms and builders ARE cashing in.

No way to deny this as in....
Fortin. Larry. Lenz. Ground Zero. Wizard.

List continues... it's the same shit with new clothes on. Some guys are attached to certain builders and that's fine. But denying these facts is like... it's dillusional at best.

And MOST of the time you're seeing pre made PCB boards, populated with their choice of component brands... and choice of iron and cosmetics.

There's only so many ways you can build a marshall. And it's all beginning to sound the same while the prices would reflect a break through in circuitry design.. it's guys wanting to build LESS and make MORE.

I'll die on this hill though, lol

My SLX sounds at least 9\10 as good as most every new build I hear demo's of and I paid $600 for it 8 years ago. ๐Ÿคฃ

Yes. I think it's around 4200 plus shipping us dollar.

I think people are taking this the wrong way.

You can build an amp in 2 days. There's about a 75% profit margin or more on the parts involved. And you're not clocking in or slaving so you can look at labor a few different ways. If you enjoy it, and it makes money, is it labor?

You can get these tones with $2500 amps.

That's really all I'm saying.
It is inflated.
And it is a trend.

Folks denying that is fine.
Reasoning with it is fine.

For $4500 shipped though...
It's not blowing my skirt up
Any more than a souped up ceriatone.

I'd just as soon buy a Jubilee and mod that.
It's my opinion on the matter.

And I'm not sure why some guys get offended about such a simple opinion. It's too damn high.

Just get a helios used and do the same shit and use the extra thousands elsewhere. I know a professional builder who is local to me. He doesn't have to sell his amps at 4000- 4500 to stay in business.

So the people arguing that point of a "business model" aren't convincing me. You can run a successful company building quality amps at a 2500$ price point....

Anyone saying otherwise is sniffing glue. ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ‘ƒ

Do you have a parts list you would want to use for a build? I saw you were doing some welding, and you seem experienced in knowledge of amps. I have no idea what the overall time frame would be to build one. I feel that it could probably be as little as you're saying like a couple of days to a few more once you have designed and done it a few times to get a rhythm/workflow down.

That's another thing. It's the same almost exact designs with different values on switches and different iron.

This is a gold rush on modded marshall platforms and builders ARE cashing in.

No way to deny this as in....
Fortin. Larry. Lenz. Ground Zero. Wizard.

List continues... it's the same shit with new clothes on. Some guys are attached to certain builders and that's fine. But denying these facts is like... it's dillusional at best.

And MOST of the time you're seeing pre made PCB boards, populated with their choice of component brands... and choice of iron and cosmetics.

There's only so many ways you can build a marshall. And it's all beginning to sound the same while the prices would reflect a break through in circuitry design.. it's guys wanting to build LESS and make MORE.

I'll die on this hill though, lol

My SLX sounds at least 9\10 as good as most every new build I hear demo's of and I paid $600 for it 8 years ago. ๐Ÿคฃ

Personally, I don't think you're dying on any hill. I know that a lot of people (including myself) probably agree with your assessment on the price. I also do think it's a business model and it probably works for a lot of the builders. There is likely some line of building x amount vs trying to keep up with overwhelming orders until you get to the point where you have to involve other people or worse outsource when it no longer becomes "your" build, if that makes sense. Also, like you said may even create a "prestige".

I feel like there are things in my life that I am guilty of overspending on because of one reason or another, but it's not usually due to the hipster mentality that it seems you're getting at. On the other hand when hipsters have $ it makes a lot of things crazy. I'm not going to play along with them though.

I think he has a bit different of a sound. The octane maybe is going more to the "modern" sound, but what he is really after is copping some slash tone it seems. So his hot chili is one that is very rock based, but just sounds killer to me

I feel like my personal issue is chassis design is so boring for almost every builder. I get that they are trying to appeal to everyone, so everything is black and looks like a marshall or whatever. I would feel better about spending a lot on my next amp that isn't just quality parts and build, but more unique in control layout, tolex patterns/colors/wood/stain/unusual materials/finishes, really anything, even shape. To me the proper touch in those areas would bring an amp's value up a decent amount by itself by setting itself apart and not just because of sought after parts and features.

Don't get me wrong, I would also love to have new tone shaping options and all of the fancy features (and less in some cases :ROFLMAO:). I feel like there is a ceiling for what I would spend on an amp, probably around $3-3.5k for high quality brand new, and to get me to that $5k mark it would not only have to sound and respond very special, but it would have to look special, too. Sorry I know that's dumb, but that's where I'm at.

All of that said, I would rather pay $4.5k for one of Eddies amps over a lot of the high production $3-4k ones. I would prefer they all come down in price. But if people are paying than it doesn't really matter what I would like ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ
I think one thing that kills amps is trying to make it for everyone..too many features not as good as voicing an amp correctly for an application and making it stand out at one thing.

Back