🧸 LENZ AMPLIFICATION ??

• Thread starter Thread starter ChuggNorris
  • Start date Start date
I have to say, I'm really not understanding the issue with price.......

Lets look at other boutique builders.
Bogner----XTC-20th ann, 4300.
Friedman----BE Deluxe, 4000. SS-4300. JJ-4000.
SLO----4000.

So, I fail to see the issue with Eddy's pricing...since he's clearly in line with the builders I just mentioned.
????
Didn't mean to single Ed out.
Just wished it wasn't so expensive.
Sounded like one I'd try if it wwasn't.

Make no mistake those Amps you listed are ALL overpriced. 100%. (Myopinion)

I still can't believe I paid almost 4k for a Herbert. As I also feel it is terribly overpriced and shit don't even come with a footswitch or an updated manual. That to me is.... it's a strange thing... again my opinion.

Definitely all overpriced. In my opinion.
🤏

Ps, this is my opinion.

Edit: This is just my personal opinion.

Last edited:
I think Eddy's mods sound really good. Some are def more dialed in then others but his latest mods seem to really balance gain with juiciness without a lot of bloat. Hard not to respect that and that tone sounds good. But yeah, 4500$ USD for any amp is insanity for most of us non Muricans and for anyone really. I can see 2-3K in today's market. Makes me realize how i lucked out getting a tricked out 800 recently for under 2K CAD.

I think Eddy's mods sound really good. Some are def more dialed in then others but his latest mods seem to really balance gain with juiciness without a lot of bloat. Hard not to respect that and that tone sounds good. But yeah, 4500$ USD for any amp is insanity for most of us non Muricans and for anyone really. I can see 2-3K in today's market. Makes me realize how i lucked out getting a tricked out 800 recently for under 2K CAD.

Absolutely... good points.

2-3k is a fair range and still leaves plenty of profit for their business if they build more than 1 amp a week. Thats just the reality.

I live in the worst economy possible and a builder supports himself well for 2000-2500 per build and it's very high quality components and iron. Not cheap kit style builds. The ones doing 4k ranges are silently raping WITH the economy instead of actually being fair. Everyone wants to make 400% profit margins now and its gay af. 🤏

Absolutely... good points.

2-3k is a fair range and still leaves plenty of profit for their business if they build more than 1 amp a week. Thats just the reality.

I live in the worst economy possible and a builder supports himself well for 2000-2500 per build and it's very high quality components and iron. Not cheap kit style builds. The ones doing 4k ranges are silently raping WITH the economy instead of actually being fair. Everyone wants to make 400% profit margins now and its gay af. 🤏

Why are you still talking about something you know nothing about?

Tubes are $400 retail
Iron retail is $400+
Decent solder is $50/lb
Wire is outrageous
Decent relays are impossible to get and cost as much as $5/ea retail

I haven’t even factored in the cost of decent potentiometers, switches, knobs, headshells, IEC connectors, resistors, capacitors, fuses which are also dumb expensive, boxes, shipping supplies, and actual shipping costs for everything.

To build something and sell it at $2k after factoring in 40% tax margin for being self employed you’re immediately out of business.

And before you go stating don’t buy in retail, you have to have the demand to buy in bulk or else you’re also out of business.

If you can’t afford it then don’t fucking buy it.

Why are you still talking about something you know nothing about?

Tubes are $400 retail
Iron retail is $400+
Decent solder is $50/lb
Wire is outrageous
Decent relays are impossible to get and cost as much as $5/ea retail

I haven’t even factored in the cost of decent potentiometers, switches, knobs, headshells, IEC connectors, resistors, capacitors, fuses which are also dumb expensive, boxes, shipping supplies, and actual shipping costs for everything.

To build something and sell it at $2k after factoring in 40% tax margin for being self employed you’re immediately out of business.

And before you go stating don’t buy in retail, you have to have the demand to buy in bulk or else you’re also out of business.

If you can’t afford it then don’t fucking buy it.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You make these prices up yourself? Builders buy in small batch or bulk and develope relationships. They do not pay 400$ for fucking tubes in your amp.

They don't use 50 lbs of solder in your fucking amp.

Wire is not outrageous and a roll does multiple Amps.

How many fucking $5 relays do you think is in your 4k amp? 🤣🤣🤣

Yeahhhhhhhh... go hit that crack pipe again.
🤡🤡🤡💸

Look at em.... he's mad 🤣🤣🤣
Up in here sounding like kamala Harris.
Just because you say it, dont mean it makes sense or is true. Sorry not sorry. 👊

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You make these prices up yourself? Builders buy in small batch or bulk and develope relationships. They do not pay 400$ for fucking tubes in your amp.

They don't use 50 lbs of solder in your fucking amp.

Wire is not outrageous and a roll does multiple Amps.

How many fucking $5 relays do you think is in your 4k amp? 🤣🤣🤣

Yeahhhhhhhh... go hit that crack pipe again.
🤡🤡🤡💸

Look at em.... he's mad 🤣🤣🤣
Up in here sounding like kamala Harris.
Just because you say it, dont mean it makes sense or is true. Sorry not sorry. 👊

That’s all you can do is cry like a child and name call when you’re presented with facts.

Go bias your SLX and shut the fuck up. The professionals are talking.

That’s all you can do is cry like a child and name call when you’re presented with facts.

Go bias your SLX and shut the fuck up. The professionals are talking.

The dillusion is getting to you.

You are a professional cockpiece for sure.

👊🙃🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This whole conversation is cracking me up. I think regardless if anyone finds one thin or not, i think there is a faction that likes plexi/jcm/jmp best and feels like everything else was marshall fucking itself over.

I dont have as much knowledge as everyone else here, but in the 70s, a lot of things started happening, and cars started going to shit and a bit later amps started being made more cheaply from marshall. The fact that the amps started being made more cheaply coinciding with the design of the subsequent models are tied together as poor designs is unfortunate. I think that marshall had some good circuits that were implemented terribly.

I dont know if it makes sense what i am saying, but literally, i love the sound of a silver jubilee, but the build quality is disgusting and i wouldnt fuckjng buy one. And a lot of guys feel that the 900 and 2000 410 whatever are all WAY fucking better for metal than 800s. But the build quality isnt what the 800s were.

I think there are a lot of marshall purists and at the end of the day, this is why i like guys that are building ground ups that are like modded plexis or jcm 800s. Mgl, eddy lenz, granville, etc all doing kick ass things. Arguing about 30-60 year old amps is not as fun as playing some of the boutique stuff right now

This whole conversation is cracking me up. I think regardless if anyone finds one thin or not, i think there is a faction that likes plexi/jcm/jmp best and feels like everything else was marshall fucking itself over.

I dont have as much knowledge as everyone else here, but in the 70s, a lot of things started happening, and cars started going to shit and a bit later amps started being made more cheaply from marshall. The fact that the amps started being made more cheaply coinciding with the design of the subsequent models are tied together as poor designs is unfortunate. I think that marshall had some good circuits that were implemented terribly.

I dont know if it makes sense what i am saying, but literally, i love the sound of a silver jubilee, but the build quality is disgusting and i wouldnt fuckjng buy one. And a lot of guys feel that the 900 and 2000 410 whatever are all WAY fucking better for metal than 800s. But the build quality isnt what the 800s were.

I think there are a lot of marshall purists and at the end of the day, this is why i like guys that are building ground ups that are like modded plexis or jcm 800s. Mgl, eddy lenz, granville, etc all doing kick ass things. Arguing about 30-60 year old amps is not as fun as playing some of the boutique stuff right now
My end game is this: How does the amp sound? Comparison with others? Does it have the qualities I like best?

My fav amp tonal points are: Clarity, thump, feel. If an amp checks those 3 boxes, I'm in. In the Marshall camp, which is where I personally live, I've found the older the better....early 70s Superleads stock/pedals or modded is my personal tone pinnacle. Later 70s/80s 2203/4 are next up, stock with pedals or modded. Then, the 2210/2205(86 or newer) tied with a Jubilee....stock or boosted. Those are my preferred amps over Wizards, Marks, Rectos although I do love all three for what they offer.

Would/could I grab an SLX? Sure! For a grand they are good sounding amps. Hell, maybe for 1500 they are still good sounding amps. But, the SLX to my ears won't sound as good(the one I used didn't) as those prior 3 categories of Marshall...so it wouldn't get played much. So, for me an SLX would be a waste of a grand since I already have a hard time playing the amps I have, enough as it is.

My end game is this: How does the amp sound? Comparison with others? Does it have the qualities I like best?

My fav amp tonal points are: Clarity, thump, feel. If an amp checks those 3 boxes, I'm in. In the Marshall camp, which is where I personally live, I've found the older the better....early 70s Superleads stock/pedals or modded is my personal tone pinnacle. Later 70s/80s 2203/4 are next up, stock with pedals or modded. Then, the 2210/2205(86 or newer) tied with a Jubilee....stock or boosted. Those are my preferred amps over Wizards, Marks, Rectos although I do love all three for what they offer.

Would/could I grab an SLX? Sure! For a grand they are good sounding amps. Hell, maybe for 1500 they are still good sounding amps. But, the SLX to my ears won't sound as good(the one I used didn't) as those prior 3 categories of Marshall...so it wouldn't get played much. So, for me an SLX would be a waste of a grand since I already have a hard time playing the amps I have, enough as it is.
I would love to try the 2205/2210

Personally, I was more impressed with the parts you showed in the RiffWARz thread.
I just want more pictures of Batwoman...

:D

I didn't realize y'all were so into mustaches :ROFLMAO:

20240910_1321955mustachio.jpg

I can understand why people would complain when comparing the features, including multi-channel vs my single-channel... but all those amps are PCB-built, sometimes also with PCB-mounted tubes. They are also built in the USA. In Europe, an SLO100 costs 4400€, 20th XTC and BE Deluxe are 4750€... I'm also not saying that PCBs are bad in any way and I don't want to start a PCB tone debate, since I think there are awesome PCB amps out there and it's obviously not a problem. For a more complex multi-channel amp, I'd also use a PCB design, but that doesn't change how long it takes to build an amp with a hardwired turret board and ptp FX loop.

Awesome that you have responded with professionalism and class throughout this thread. I don't personally have a great idea of costs or the market, and am glad you have helped clarify things from your experience and perspective.

Lisa’s killing it. You know your going to have a bunch of Faptastic guitar players wanting to be your friend now sis…
That's so sweet JBT ❤️! Except I thought it said fantastic at first, which hopefully is more accurate :ROFLMAO:

I've actually been talking with everyone's real secret crush @Devin about doing some collaboration on some tracks for my (our?) upcoming game staring the same lovely man himself! I had to beg him after sharing some of my clips and he soon realized I was just a peasant level lute strummer. So, hopefully we'll get to hear his awesomeness on the soundtrack as well and get some epic tunes if he can see it in his lovely heart ❤️

Back