2021 EVH 5150 iconic series Pre-Order is live.

• Thread starter Thread starter VESmedic
  • Start date Start date
Cabs are made of MDF with only birch ply used for the bracing. Cheap cheap cheap

Cash money says this is a brown sound amp and gets so close to early EVH for the money that young up and coming guitarists the world wide get 80% there for money one can earn at meager service industry jobs over a summer, just like in the old days. Something they can work for and achieve with by their own hand without credit. No endless experimenting, no lurking in forums for decades, hell not even YouTube watching. Yes, it will be Chinese. Yes, it will have two 12AX7’s. Yes it will be 20 watts output per 6L6. Bogner got on that boat a decade ago!

Yes these will be loved, cherished, beaten to shit and gigged. PLAYED, just like the OG 5150. Saint Edward knew God was doing the playing and he was just the conduit. Now in his name the tone of the Gods will be made available to all of his disciples so they can get on with it rather than FUTZ with it.
This product will change everything, again. Screencap this.

Cash money says this is a brown sound amp and gets so close to early EVH for the money that young up and coming guitarists the world wide get 80% there for money one can earn at meager service industry jobs over a summer, just like in the old days. Something they can work for and achieve with by their own hand without credit. No endless experimenting, no lurking in forums for decades, hell not even YouTube watching. Yes, it will be Chinese. Yes, it will have two 12AX7’s. Yes it will be 20 watts output per 6L6. Bogner got on that boat a decade ago!

Yes these will be loved, cherished, beaten to shit and gigged. PLAYED, just like the OG 5150. Saint Edward knew God was doing the playing and he was just the conduit. Now in his name the tone of the Gods will be made available to all of his disciples so they can get on with it rather than FUTZ with it.

This is something that pops up every time a new 5153 sub model leaks out, even more so with the 5153 EL34 model. From my biased point of view I would think an "official" brown sound 5150 machine is what we all want. Would also be neat to see one amp that can go from DLR era to Van Hagar era dry tones.

and shared eq for all channels!

seriously, who complain about 80 watts? if where a pair of 6550 for that it would be awesome but, did you know you that 6l6gc are rated at 30w?

it would be the same as the Marshall studio series, there is a compromise on the power section, thats the true
I think anyone buying this is running all eq on 10 anyway so shared is no biggie.

Its been said already but at this price point they probably wanted to get an amp out to a lot of people that sounds good. Something that has some good features like the noise gate , emulated out, reverb. On a "budget" someone could gig it without any other pedals needed. I dont think its gonna sound better than anything they have done already although its always possible some will prefer it. There "flagship" amps are the three channel heads. I also dont think they are going for a brown sound , pushed Marshall. The o.g. 5150 didn't sound that way.

I could be wrong Im just assuming that in there minds they already perfected the 5150 modern metal sound with the amps they already put out. Maybe at some point they will do a modded Marshall type of amp but this doesn't look like it. Also the listing descriptions were taken down off reverb after they sold. Im a little surprised they even posted a presale already.

Its been said already but at this price point they probably wanted to get an amp out to a lot of people that sounds good. Something that has some good features like the noise gate , emulated out, reverb. On a "budget" someone could gig it without any other pedals needed. I dont think its gonna sound better than anything they have done already although its always possible some will prefer it. There "flagship" amps are the three channel heads. I also dont think they are going for a brown sound , pushed Marshall. The o.g. 5150 didn't sound that way.

I could be wrong Im just assuming that in there minds they already perfected the 5150 modern metal sound with the amps they already put out. Maybe at some point they will do a modded Marshall type of amp but this doesn't look like it. Also the listing descriptions were taken down off reverb after they sold. Im a little surprised they even posted a presale already.
Well said. Just like the Friedman BE-100 vs the Friedman Runt 50. Lots love the Runt 50 and many say the Runt 50 is more open and less congested in the mid's and that it has a more saturated type of gain. Others will live and die by the BE-100.

To each their own as I can take a $4k amp and still sound the same while others can take a Gorilla Amp and sound like a rock god.

Yeah I don't think it's going to be a "brown sound" machine either. People have been asking for a brown sound amp since Eddie started putting out records, and have also speculated that every 5150 amp released will "definitely" be a brown sound machine this time and it never has been.

The 5150 series are attempts to put the brown sound amp in a manageable package. It's not actually true brown though because as we all know, 5150's put the gain in the preamp, where the magic of Eddie's brown sound happens with a relatively clean preamp going into a tube poweramp blasting on 10, and you just can't get that sound without some kind of plexi circuit dialed in for peeling paint off the walls, which is not really manageable or marketable these days to anybody but the most hardcore, no-compromises kind of crazies you find in guitar forums. :)

I'm happy to be proven wrong, and only two preamp tubes is very weird but I still doubt that's what it's going to be. Especially for $900.

Last edited:
This is something that pops up every time a new 5153 sub model leaks out, even more so with the 5153 EL34 model. From my biased point of view I would think an "official" brown sound 5150 machine is what we all want. Would also be neat to see one amp that can go from DLR era to Van Hagar era dry tones.

This is what I was always assuming the 5150 Iconic would be - a super expensive brown sound plexi type thing. I was definitely wrong on the super expensive part so now we gotta wait and see how it sounds :LOL:

I have read in several interviews that Ed didn't care for the tones on the first few albums. Which is why when he was given the chance to make an amp it sounds nothing like the first few VH albums. For the money, I think the entire range of 5150 amps is by far the best straight out of the box rock machines.

Reactions: LCW
I have read in several interviews that Ed didn't care for the tones on the first few albums. Which is why when he was given the chance to make an amp it sounds nothing like the first few VH albums. For the money, I think the entire range of 5150 amps is by far the best straight out of the box rock machines.
I also think that over time, Ed's hearing turned to garbage (as a lot of guitarists/musicians will experience); therefore, his taste in tone goes far away from his "core" that put him on the map. Up until his passing, he was using a shit ton of gain, and that tone couldn't be more far apart than the old Plexi days. But somehow, it still sounded amazing playing those same songs with an entirely different rig. The way he was able to control the guitar/amp just showed how much the hands add to tone.

I don't think it's so much that people are complaining about 80 watts as much as it's such an odd power rating for a power section with four 6L6 tubes. People are confused more than anything.

Four 6L6 tubes only achieves an 80 watt power section? Only two preamp tubes in a 5150? Seems very strange.

edit: unless the tubes are mounted like they were in the OG 5150, not visible on the top of the chassis, and the description was simply mistaken.
Not really any different than the Marshall DSL40 with 2 power tubes... this is double the tubes, double the watts, aka 80...

And timing couldn't be more perfect IMO for those young up & coming players crawling out of a pandemic, getting back to playing shows and having an affordable option presents itself.

Back