2021 EVH 5150 iconic series Pre-Order is live.

• Thread starter Thread starter VESmedic
  • Start date Start date
Made in China. Guess James Brown took the Peavey route.

I can't imagine Ed being hip with this, but, what do I know..

x2ipjaj57bnpkaiy2gwk.jpg

EVH 5150 Iconic Series 80W Amp Head Ivory​

Brand New

$899.99

+ $65 Shipping
Only 1 left - act fast!
Preorder
Estimated ship date: October 31, 2021

About This Listing​

The EVH 5150 Iconic Series satisfies the needs of gigging and recording guitarists craving that pure and powerful EVH tube tone, but at a more affordable price. Evolving from the revered EVH 5150III amplifiers, the Iconic Series delivers the searing sound and growling gain that Eddie Van Halen made famous throughout his groundbreaking career. Designed by renowned amp engineer, James Brown, the 5150 Iconic Series 80W Head is powered by four JJ 6L6 power tubes and voiced with two JJ ECC83S preamp tubes, providing all the firepower the modern guitarist needs. This head features two channels with an extra voicing on each for even more versatility. The Green channel boasts an overdrive button to run from lush clean tones to increased gain, while the Red channel’s burn button adds fiery crunch that’s ideal for blistering leads.

Channels: Two - Clean/Overdrive and Lead/Burn
Connection Type: 1/4"
Control Panel: Channel 1: Gain w/ Overdrive Switch; Channel 2: Gain w/ Burn Switch; Noise Gate (Channel 2); Shared Low, Mid, High EQ; Channel 1/Channel 2 Volume; Master Boost; Global Reverb, Resonance and Presence
Controls: Channel 1: Gain w/ Overdrive Switch; Channel 2 Gain w/ Burn Switch; Noise Gate Channel 2: Low, Mid, High EQ; Channel 1/ Channel 2 Volume, Master Boost, Global Reverb, Resonance, and Presence
Effects: Reverb
Effects Loop: 1/4" (Send/Return)
Inputs: One - 1/4"
Line Out: Two - (One XLR and One 1/4")
Wattage: 80 Watts
Total Impedance: 4, 8, or 16 ohms
Power Tubes: 4 x JJ 6L6
Preamp Tubes: 2 x JJ ECC83S (12AX7)
Rectifier: Solid State

Reactions: LCW
Not really any different than the Marshall DSL40 with 2 power tubes... this is double the tubes, double the watts, aka 80...
very different actually from the DSL40, EL34 are rated 25w, so 40w for a pair not that bad

And timing couldn't be more perfect IMO for those young up & coming players crawling out of a pandemic, getting back to playing shows and having an affordable option presents itself.

Yeah, considering the current guitar gear landscape of everybody going to modelers and laptops with VST's and things like that, I do think it's great that this amp is going to (hopefully) provide a name-recognizable, low cost "big iron" tube amp for people who don't want to spend over a grand for a guitar amp.

And at $900 new, once these things start hitting the used market I'd imagine those types of players will be able to get these amps for a song.

I'm gonna weigh in. But I've owned 5150, Voodoo 5150, EVH 2x12 combo, EVh Stealth 100w. These look like garbage. The font is terrrible. It looks like Bugera 15 years ago. Anyone buying CCP garbage after this last year just stop. Wolfie should be ashamed, or whoever is in charge now at EVH.

I'm gonna weigh in. But I've owned 5150, Voodoo 5150, EVH 2x12 combo, EVh Stealth 100w. These look like garbage. The font is terrrible. It looks like Bugera 15 years ago. Anyone buying CCP garbage after this last year just stop. Wolfie should be ashamed, or whoever is in charge now at EVH.

I mean I don't know if I'd go quite that far, and I do recognize that the 5150 font is probably trying to mimic Eddie's old 5150 studio logo almost exactly, which is a nice thing for a guy to do in memory of his dad...

LP1TkbL.png

...but yeah I'd agree that the logo on the amp just based on aesthetics alone would probably give your average graphics designer a stroke. :)

But I do imagine that for people who really don't like the transparency it will be super easy to just cut out a simple piece of board, spary paint it black, and mount it behind the logo so it takes more of the OG 5150 look.

Last edited:
Remember when this was leaked in that studio photo and everyone was super stoked! Lol.

I’m definitely interested in hearing one but it ain’t worth “testing” at $900 I don’t think.
I told a few other folks, it’s likely a “content amp” for YouTube channels. Will be interested to see if any early adopters keep it.

Remember when this was leaked in that studio photo and everyone was super stoked! Lol.

I’m definitely interested in hearing one but it ain’t worth “testing” at $900 I don’t think.
I told a few other folks, it’s likely a “content amp” for YouTube channels. Will be interested to see if any early adopters keep it.

I bet it rips, and gets better with NOS glass, or at least for me, KT77's. Prolly be easy mods that take it to bliss land for those of us with the interest and initiative. Can't wait to see what happens!

I will wait until i hear one before even commenting on the tone of the amp but as for what i do know
they are aiming at players that Can/could not afford the standard 5150III.
With a name like "Iconic" i was hoping they were going for the 1978-84 EVH tones.
Maybe call this these the EVH Ironic amp?

Reactions: Geo
I bet this has some Amptweaker stuff going on under the hood. A couple triode gain stages on the input and then the PI and possible tone stack driver are all fet which is why it only has two preamp tubes. The little micro 5150s already do this.

"A speaker-emulated DI XLR (line out is located on rear panel) with power amp mute allows for accurate all-tube EVH tone for recording direct or using through any PA system"

my guess is that the power amp is hybrid like the Peavey 6505 mini. Preamp is full tube with 2 12ax7 - 4 gain stages like the 2 channel of the 5153, enough gain but not the supersaturated 6 gain stages of the original and rest of the series lead channels. loop must be solid state also

Anyone buying CCP garbage after this last year just stop. Wolfie should be ashamed, or whoever is in charge now at EVH.

You should be ashamed for being such a hypocrite.
Where was your laptop made? Your phone? Your TV? Can opener?

They're trying to hit a price point for those who can't afford made in USA.
Stop being so dramatic.

Last edited:
You should be ashamed for being such a hypocrite.
Where was your laptop made? Your phone? Your TV? Can opener?

They're trying to hit a price point for those who can't afford made in USA.
Stop being so dramatic.
made in USA 5150? i can afford one, please let me know where i can buy a new one

With two 12ax7s, I wonder what each one will be for. One for the phase inverter I assume, that leaves two gain stages... The 5150 and 5152 need five stages, and 6 for the 5153. So definitely going to be a mostly, if not all, solid state preamp/distortion. No thanks.

I am going to make a prediction for future reference. It's gonna sound super brutal and tight and djent and metal guys are going to fall in love with it, and it will be a huge success.

With two 12ax7s, I wonder what each one will be for. One for the phase inverter I assume, that leaves two gain stages... The 5150 and 5152 need five stages, and 6 for the 5153. So definitely going to be a mostly, if not all, solid state preamp/distortion. No thanks.

If I had to guess, probably has a lnd150 or fet style phase inverter circuit, and the same for the loop. So basically you have 4 triodes which is plenty for a ton of gain. Prob has lower voltages, and I bet no choke as well. I'm sure it will sound good....

If I had to guess, probably has a lnd150 or fet style phase inverter circuit, and the same for the loop. So basically you have 4 triodes which is plenty for a ton of gain. Prob has lower voltages, and I bet no choke as well. I'm sure it will sound good....
Yeah that's a possibility. Randall did an LND150 preamp with the satan 50w clean channel.
Being James Brown is well down the solid state distortion rabbit hole with his amptweaker pedals, personally I'm expecting something similar to his pedal as the preamp...

Back