A certain someone supposedly has a new shop in Cali and looks to be building amps again.....

• Thread starter Thread starter harddriver
  • Start date Start date
If Marshall were smart, they would have him design a new line of Marshalls. But I don't see that ever happening, so...

Marshall's sound better.

Dude neutered a Marshall
And everyone went ham.

Just dial the proper Marshall properly and don't inhale the whole cork anymore.👃

I’ve built a Plexi clone from scratch in a weekend if that means anything

This is why those new $4500 amps by ANYBODY is fucking reeeeeetaarrdedddddd. No matter how you want to justify it or like the builder. 🤣

Marshall's sound better.

Dude neutered a Marshall
And everyone went ham.

Just dial the proper Marshall properly and don't inhale the whole cork anymore.👃
Well, the last Marshall that I thought was worth a fuck was release in 1987. Haven't been really impressed with any of their newer offerings. While I don't own anything Cameron, and probably wouldn't pay the entry fee to that hot mess anyway... he does seem to develop a tone that a lot of people look for. But what do I know..? I'll just take my cork sniffing ass and sit back down.

Part of the magic comes from staring into the TAB on your Laptop, playing Def Leppard riffs, with a picking style that looks like your hand got caught in a wood chipper.

I can do it. So can many others. But I don't really want to because I got my own sound going on. I spent a lot of time learning and experimenting and arrived at my own take on it. Mark and I even played my fave build side-by-side with a few of his amps at his place a few years ago. He liked it and was nice enough to offer a few additional ideas/tips to try. But in the end, I lean toward a more modern prog-metal sound. Less compression, stiffer, more mid-range bark, less hair, angrier, more pissed off. I was able to take a peak at a few of his builds as well (I've also owned a few).

We probably have different tastes, which is totally ok. They Camerons I've owned were fine, just ultimately not my style. And I came to the same conclusion about the ones I got to play at his place. Well, actually there was one amp that did stand out. But it wasn't something he's ever offered to anybody before.
FourT6and2 builds GNARLY amps. I’ve played a couple of his amps and they are as good as the best builds out there. They have the perfect tightness, clear sound, yet high gain, great fretboard feel and are really fun to play.

The dude knows amps.

That's the road I'm on now. Mike knows Mike and both Mike's are right!!!

On another note, ChuggNorris got banned from RT...that takes work🤣

Last edited:
That's the road I'm on now. Mike knows Mike and both Mike's are right!!!

On another note, ChuggNorris got banned from RT...that takes work🤣
1726518692550.jpeg

Well, the last Marshall that I thought was worth a fuck was release in 1987. Haven't been really impressed with any of their newer offerings. While I don't own anything Cameron, and probably wouldn't pay the entry fee to that hot mess anyway... he does seem to develop a tone that a lot of people look for. But what do I know..? I'll just take my cork sniffing ass and sit back down.

Joel you remember the orange marshall I A/B'd when we were in the studio? that was a cameron.

Reactions: SFW
I remember Scameron had already f’d over those people. Brad and Dave entered the fray and started a company w/ Cameron to build amps that would, in turn, fund the Amps for those who got screwed. Brad even took a list of folks to make whole when they started.

I don’t remember Brad or Dave ever screwing anyone or assuming any debt—there was a big disclaimer by Brad that they were going to TRY to make those whole who got screwed. Cameron flaked again and Brad lost a ton of weight and thought he was Superman. Left his family and met some chick in LA, beat the snot out of her and went to jail. That’s all I remember.
#1. I have no dog in this fight outside of fellow R-T'ers getting screwed. By my count, there is 15 as of today. The Fucked Fifteen. They either lost their deposit, donner amp, or both. It is documented in the Sticky above (along with a bunch of other Scameron threads). I also don't blame Freidman, or Tone Merchants, or B.A.D or even Brad King for that matter. I think they truly meant to do good will. :dunno:

Unfortunately, if you look at some of the contract language used, also documented in one of those threads, the language used was atrocious. Just terribad. It was bound to fail. I'm not a lawyer and I forget who posted some of the screenshots but there is no way in hell I would do business under that "contract".

If I'm out of line please someone tell me :dunno:

What do you prefer between a Plexi boosted by a TS808 and a Cameron Jose mod?

What do you prefer between a Plexi boosted by a TS808 and a Cameron Jose mod?
FWIW, I think Cameron himself was quoted as saying it was hard to beat a good boosted Marshall. I agree. I've never had a Cam but I did have a Monomyth for a minute and it was well beyond a boosted Marshall wrt gain. It was actually too much gain for me, I like cranked Super Lead levels of gain.

My first one was a Red Bear chassis, cost me 180 i think and I found a cheap headshell for it. This went to my son for part of his grad present. Second was a JCM 800 1959 NMV that he made into a beast.....then, a 1986 2203 that he did a different type of mod....not super heavy but very cool. The last one was a 1969 Marshall Major that I got cheap; it had been turned into a Superlead with a pair of 70s 100w transformers. That one was damn amazing....It was very close to my 72 SL but fell just short. I traded it to Todd Duane for his Morin Pre; and Todd sold it eventually to another Rter. He loves it.
Nicks work kicks all kinds of ass.

These estimates of profits in amp building are way off, just FYI. $800 to build an amp with high end components and done the right way is never going to happen. Double that. Plus add all the wire, solder, shipping boxes, packing materials etc, etc…that you’ll be paying for. The profits are nowhere near what some of you guys are estimating.

Good transformers, tubes and a bare chassis will be over $700 by themselves, if you’re buying retail. Add $300 for a head shell. So you’re already at $1k. Then all the components, pots, PCB, fx loop, speaker and input jacks, power switches, face plates …the list goes on and on.

Parts and supplies are outrageously expensive compared to what they were just a couple years ago. Some have gone up 40% or more. A 1lb spool of good solder is $45 now.
Truth. Chassis, OT, PT, choke and headhsell is well over $800.
Add the boards, faceplates, all the components, and then time to put it all together...
You'd need to charge a good amount of $ to make it worth the time.

That's just paint by numbers.
Doesn't account for the knowledge and skill that folks like Jeremy have, who tweak each amp for optimal performance and tone.

And then there's customer service.
Some builders are totally accessible, happy to talk, help with any issues, and even tweak an amp to fit your needs.
Others have no interest in talking to you, helping you with common issues like fuses or tubes, much less make adjustments to an amp.
Some take your $, become difficult to communicate with, take way longer to produce the item you paid for then was stated...and sometimes it never shows up at all.

My first one was a Red Bear chassis, cost me 180 i think and I found a cheap headshell for it. This went to my son for part of his grad present. Second was a JCM 800 1959 NMV that he made into a beast.....then, a 1986 2203 that he did a different type of mod....not super heavy but very cool. The last one was a 1969 Marshall Major that I got cheap; it had been turned into a Superlead with a pair of 70s 100w transformers. That one was damn amazing....It was very close to my 72 SL but fell just short. I traded it to Todd Duane for his Morin Pre; and Todd sold it eventually to another Rter. He loves it.
Nicks work kicks all kinds of ass.

I didn't know that and he (Nick) seems like an honest straight up dude. Someone I would trust :yes:

Truth. Chassis, OT, PT, choke and headhsell is well over $800.
Add the boards, faceplates, all the components, and then time to put it all together...
You'd need to charge a good amount of $ to make it worth the time.

That's just paint by numbers.
Doesn't account for the knowledge and skill that folks like Jeremy have, who tweak each amp for optimal performance and tone.

And then there's customer service.
Some builders are totally accessible, happy to talk, help with any issues, and even tweak an amp to fit your needs.
Others have no interest in talking to you, helping you with common issues like fuses or tubes, much less make adjustments to an amp.
Some take your $, become difficult to communicate with, take way longer to produce the item you paid for then was stated...and sometimes it never shows up at all.
I know Splawns are polarizing but Scott Splawn sells his amps for what $2,300 ish? I don't know how he stays in business this long TBH and provides very good customer service. He doesn't strike me as the type who is out to be a rich dude so that is probably part of it. :dunno:

Back