Are $2.5K to $8K Gibson's guitars investments or museum pieces ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Samhain
  • Start date Start date
Samhain
Samhain
Banned
cf4e4870-562f-476b-aeb3-e9b2be8c7c30-Rick_Nielsen-Cheap_Trick_with_59_Gibsons.jpg

https://reverb.com/p/gibson-custom-...-GMtR7p22tbSF6BzLMk5mhFNkqiqN9IwaAgiCEALw_wcB
Ive had the flametop LP's so expensive im afraid to take it out of the house.
At what point does a Gibson become a liability and not a gigging guitar ?

2.5k seems kind of a low estimate for the "museum piece" range.

That's right around Les Paul standard pricing, and I know of literally no one scared to gig those guitars - including me.
Screenshot_20211031-150011.png

Here's me playing a standard (and the Larry) at a misfits tribute band gig full of crust punks and beer flying everywhere.

2.5k seems kind of a low estimate for the "museum piece" range.

That's right around Les Paul standard pricing, and I know of literally no one scared to gig those guitars - including me. View attachment 99041

Here's me playing a standard (and the Larry) at a misfits tribute band gig full of crust punks and beer flying everywhere.
yeah silly me. I forgot the pre-covid $2.5K LP is now the $3.5K LP.
Just like the $1400 dollar JMP is now the $2400 JMP.

Play it and enjoy it!
Why leave it up on a wall or in a case for someone else to enjoy later?
No offense to anyone, but I can't think of anything less cool or interesting than "guitar collections"...like when someone owns 15 models of the same guitar or a room full of guitars in cases that haven't seen the light of day in years. What is the point unless you are seriously doing it as part of a long term investment plan? I have come to notice over time that most of the great players have a #1 and then a few other guitars to fill in a need tonally. I guess to each their own.

yeah silly me. I forgot the pre-covid $2.5K LP is now the $3.5K LP.
Just like the $1400 dollar JMP is now the $2400 JMP.
Either way, 2.5k or 3.5k, that's well within the range of "gigging instrument" by my standards 🤷

Norlins are even higher priced than that now, and tons of people gig those.

No one seems to bat an eye at gigging 5k Suhr, TA, or Mayones, interesting that there seems to be a different standard for Gibsons.

Either way, 2.5k or 3.5k, that's well within the range of "gigging instrument" by my standards 🤷

Norlins are even higher priced than that now, and tons of people gig those.

No one seems to bat an eye at gigging 5k Suhr, TA, or Mayones, interesting that there seems to be a different standard for Gibsons.
I really don't feel like it's a price thing, or should be. I mean if someone went and found a $15000 guitar and honestly thought it was their perfect guitar and played it and enjoyed it, there is nothing wrong with that at all. I think people are talking about LP's in this case because a lot of times...you see the big dollar ones never getting played sadly, and getting traded off 5 times. You see it a lot with PRS too. I guess my point is, a lot of these guys aren't buying it for playability, tone or quality..they are buying it to show off to their buddy to look cool and put it away. Which is their absolute right, and my right to call them lame as hell.

I really don't feel like it's a price thing, or should be. I mean if someone went and found a $15000 guitar and honestly thought it was their perfect guitar and played it and enjoyed it, there is nothing wrong with that at all. I think people are talking about LP's in this case because a lot of times...you see the big dollar ones never getting played sadly, and getting traded off 5 times. You see it a lot with PRS too. I guess my point is, a lot of these guys aren't buying it for playability, tone or quality..they are buying it to show off to their buddy to look cool and put it away. Which is their absolute right, and my right to call them lame as hell.

Agreed 1000%. I always feel like there's a grand canyon divide on guitar forums between the "collector" type hobbyists, and the people who actually play.

It's especially sad with high end guitars like that, because that Les Paul or PRS that changes hands 5 times is probably some guy who actually plays perfect dream guitar, and they'll never get to play one because the market is so insane and chock full of collectors paying top lawyer dollar.

It's REALLY bad with classic USA BC rich and Hamer guitars, unfortunately; which are highly desirable for both looks and playability for people who play heavy music. Unfortunately the collector types have pushed the prices into the stratosphere. Which is their right, just like it's my right to sneer at them when they post their video of them stumbling through "shout at the devil" completely out of tune and out of time.

And every PRS ive seen the last 2 months is listed a "10 top" when its barely AA flame.

I mean no offense to anyone. I personally swore I’d never be that guy that had more gear than talent that couldn’t tune a guitar or play pretty much anything musically I wanted. I bought my Norlin sisters this year and I won’t be buying more of them in the future. If anything I need to get my shit together and replace the strat I sold to help fund one of them👌

I don’t have a ton of guitars. 4 LPs and a super strat parts guitar. It’s all about balance.

They can be great players AND great investments. But price doesn't always dictate playability - it may dictate how perdy it is, but...ya, that's not really what we solely choose our fiddles on (at least I hope not).

I have some "in great shape" Lesters I play all the time, I have some "collectors" I play a lot. Bottom line is they're all great players. Would I take my actual vintage Lesters to a gig - fuck no. Those are vaulted. But everything else?? Sure. And depending on the venue - sorry - what were once venues before covid - I'd take the appropriate 1-2 guitars.

I pay a lot for the guitars and amps that I own and I play them out. I'm a better player than some here and a worse player than others. Guitars are tools. Expensive tools, pretty tools, investment tools, whatever. The only ones I would not take out are ones that are not replaceable. For example, I won't gig a Bogner 100b but I will gig a 2018 R9. If the R9 breaks, I can find another that will do it for me. I can't say the same for a 60's Classic. Just doesn't feel, sound or play the same. It's personal. The 100b I can't run out and get another.

I also flip expensive gear. FREQUENTLY. As do many here. Why does it matter? My $$, my perogative. Plus, someone else gets a good deal when I sell, so I am doing the community a service :ROFLMAO:

Buy what you want. Play what you want. Stop being concerned what others do. Adult. It's liberating.

I don’t have a ton of guitars. 4 LPs and a super strat parts guitar. It’s all about balance.
Yeah man, you're totally unbalanced on the Strat side. You need 3 more...stat. :LOL:

I only have 3 guitars that I didn't build; a cheap Martin copy, a LP Std, and an Explorer. Couldn't get $8k for the lot.

Back