Are $2.5K to $8K Gibson's guitars investments or museum pieces ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Samhain
  • Start date Start date
I pay a lot for the guitars and amps that I own and I play them out. I'm a better player than some here and a worse player than others. Guitars are tools. Expensive tools, pretty tools, investment tools, whatever. The only ones I would not take out are ones that are not replaceable. For example, I won't gig a Bogner 100b but I will gig a 2018 R9. If the R9 breaks, I can find another that will do it for me. I can't say the same for a 60's Classic. Just doesn't feel, sound or play the same. It's personal. The 100b I can't run out and get another.

I also flip expensive gear. FREQUENTLY. As do many here. Why does it matter? My $$, my perogative. Plus, someone else gets a good deal when I sell, so I am doing the community a service :ROFLMAO:

Buy what you want. Play what you want. Stop being concerned what others do. Adult. It's liberating.
By that logic every amp I own but the 5150 II is irreplaceable and not gig worthy.

Honestly I’d gig any of my amps. I’d choose the 5150 for venues more sketch though.

By that logic every amp I own but the 5150 II is irreplaceable and not gig worthy.

Honestly I’d gig any of my amps. I’d choose the 5150 for venues more sketch though.
I was gigging pretty much in exclusively in downtown STL starting in 05.... and around 2014, I decided I am not bringing anything expensive into the city anymore. The car break in's were so rampant that it was happening every night...bands were sitting ducks unless you had someone out there guarding the vans. And even then, if they have a gun and wanna jack you...you pull your gun...congrats you are in a fucking shootout in a dark parking lot. When this covid shit is finally over and places start booking, if I am forced to play downtown I will bring my POD bean and a fucking Squire strat with a badass pickup in it.

I was gigging pretty much in exclusively in downtown STL starting in 05.... and around 2014, I decided I am not bringing anything expensive into the city anymore. The car break in's were so rampant that it was happening every night...bands were sitting ducks unless you had someone out there guarding the vans. And even then, if they have a gun and wanna jack you...you pull your gun...congrats you are in a fucking shootout in a dark parking lot. When this covid shit is finally over and places start booking, if I am forced to play downtown I will bring my POD bean and a fucking Squire strat with a badass pickup in it.
That’s rough.

Cant say crime is that high everywhere. When I do gig again I do want to put GPS trackers on/in everything. They’ve come a long way in terms of security.

That’s rough.

Cant say crime is that high everywhere. When I do gig again I do want to put GPS trackers on/in everything. They’ve come a long way in terms of security.
Oh it's for sure not. St.Louis is just a shithole lol

Not sure about an investment, but my re-serialed CC#29 has been gigged regularly along with my Wizard MC25, including 3 shows in the last three weeks...I was more concerned about taking out my Hamer Korina Vector but said fuck it, I have it to play it...its worth 5x what I paid for it.

And every PRS ive seen the last 2 months is listed a "10 top" when its barely AA flame.

Bought my first PRS in the early 90s at a place in Boston.
They had their only 10 top in a case up high out of reach.
And that was only a single 10 out of a pretty big inventory.

Just took a quick look at Wildwood and on one of the PRS pages 11 of 16 guitars are listed as 10 tops.

Something about the math isn't working. :ROFLMAO:

Bought my first PRS in the early 90s at a place in Boston.
They had their only 10 top in a case up high out of reach.
And that was only a single 10 out of a pretty big inventory.

Just took a quick look at Wildwood and on one of the PRS pages 11 of 16 guitars are listed as 10 tops.

Something about the math isn't working. :ROFLMAO:
Yes the PRS thing has gotten Fn stupid. A new 10 top is pushing 5k. A new LP standard just had a price increase and is 2699. I've always been into PRS , but this is complete bullshit! It's a flame top it isnt silver , gold or mailmans stained boxers. I'm over PRS, bragging he didn't lay anyone off during the pandemic yet raping your fellow consumers isnt cool. Yes guitars/ wood is jacked but not like that. Of course if people pay it price ain't coming down, Gibson guitars kick ass so hopefully they stay within reason. Maybe this PRS walmart of guitars, (what's next an explorer or Tele style build) comes to an end or goes to the highest form of non playing Drs Lawyers collecting champs.....etc. Raaaaant over

I know many consider it a non-issue but I always felt
Paul switched from luthier to businessman when he accepted
the larger neck heel so they could better automate a couple of steps.

I know that can be a very unpopular opinion with many, but I never
liked it and never bought any of the other reasons given for why they
changed.

Same, as per the pic, I gig my Larry which is a 1:1 and completely irreplaceable🤷

I got it to use it - what's the point of curating and dialing in these insane rigs if you can't let them fly when it's time?

Just the comments from the handful of guitar players in the other bands makes it worth it, lol

Same, as per the pic, I gig my Larry which is a 1:1 and completely irreplaceable🤷

I got it to use it - what's the point of curating and dialing in these insane rigs if you can't let them fly when it's time?

Just the comments from the handful of guitar players in the other bands makes it worth it, lol
I'm gonna sneak into a gig and take the Larry! Nobody will be the wiser ahaha..until my tone got good

I'm gonna sneak into a gig and take the Larry! Nobody will be the wiser ahaha..until my tone got good
54d46015dd1f0_-_esq-taken-de.jpg

I have certain skills. Skills like syncopated quadruplets and pentuplets at 160bpm. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let Larry go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.

I traded my lowly 2002 LP Classic off, thinking it wasn't worth much.
Turns out I'm an idiot.
Every single Gibson I've sold is worth more now than when I sold them, much less bought them.
I don't get it. The newer ones play and sound as good or better.
Honestly, a good new Slash series is on par with some custom shop R8s, and easily eclipse my ol 02 Classic.

Dude when you gonna have me over to play thru the Larry?!

Dude when you gonna have me over to play thru the Larry?!

Next time you're in the Pacific northwest I imagine ;)

I haven't made it down to DFW in a while (I think thats where you're located, right?) and if I did, I probably wouldn't want to try to take a 100w head as carry on baggage 🤣

If you're ever in my area you're more than welcome to give it a go though!

Only reason my two les Paul’s don’t get time live, is due to the weight. Shouldering a 10lb lp for 5 hours is doable, but don’t want to agreavate my shoulder injury. One of the big reasons I got a Gibson es339 a few years back. It sure doesn’t punch like a les Paul, but is a cool guitar in its own right and nice and light.

I do have a good number of guitars, that get rotated, for me it keeps things fresh.

I've only plaid out a little bit. I kinda wrapped it up after playing my favorite venue but if I ever decide to do it again there would be a few things I wouldn't use cause people target band's gear in some areas. I would probably also use a cheaper used cab vs my KSR 4x12. I use it constantly at home but it's almost like an expensive piece of furniture to me. Besides of the functional aspect, it's pretty.

I haven't been in a band since like 2001, and will probably never be in another one at this point.
I have like 15 or 16 guitars, and should probably sell most of them.
But, on a positive note, the only duplicate guitars I have are 2 Hello Kitty Strats.

Back