Are Mexican Charvels really Charvels or Mexican Strats ?

• Thread starter Thread starter shar-vell Dan
  • Start date Start date

Are Meican Charvels real Charvels or just MIM Strats ?

• yes real Charvels

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • no not real Charvels.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well, the neck profiles are not the same. The fretboard radii. The necks overall are not the same. The placement of the truss rod, the number of frets, the fret size.

Pretty sure the bodies aren't the same either. The neck pocket has to be different for the spin wheel truss rod, and most of them come with Floyds rather than non-locking trems.

So are they made in the same factory by the same parent company? Yes. Are they around the same quality level? Probably. Do they look similar? Yes. But they feel and are spec'd quite different.

MIM Charvels are noticeably better than MIM Fenders at the same price point IMO, and I don't just mean "I prefer the specs" (I don't)

MIM Charvels I've played, at least at our dealers, are livelier, don't come with missing screws, have a higher quality bridge, etc

I really don't understand how or why given that it's the same plant, just diffferent internal division (or company. IDC what their hierarchy is like)

My preference is Japan Charvels. Ive had the Mexican and some are okay but the neck is like a Fender "D" complete opposite of Japan.

Reactions: rsm
giphy.gif

Back