Best clean on a high gainer ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dyllheaven88
  • Start date Start date
Forgot it somehow, but actually to me the best clean imo I've heard in a high gain amp so far was the Friedman Marsha I had. In general I'm not a Friedman fan at all, but it was definitely the best one I've tried (almost all of them including some modded Marshall's) and the cleans also were a real surprise. I would even choose its cleans over some dedicated clean amps I used to have, but definitely not over my latest keeper clean amps. I think it was supposed to be based off a Fender iirc, but it seems like most of these clean channels are lol

Last edited:
Diezel Herbert...easily the beat clean on a modern high gainer that i have tried.

Diezel Herbert
Diezel D Moll
Engl Invader
Mesa DC5(headroom and punch for days)
Mesa Mark IV

That's what I popped in to say.

I have a Rectoverb 50 and it has a separate clean channel/separate controls

I have two RoV 50 heads ( series one ). Not sure what they changed in the circuit from the early Singles, but they're not as bright and chimey. But, the dirt channel is great because I like the difference of it being darker/smoother compared to my Singles. Took away my jonesin' for a Roadster. 🤟

The Mesa Mark VII is shockingly good.

But the Framus Cobra clean I had years ago haunts me.

Not sure if mentioned but the JVMs have good cleans too, including that pushed Green channel thing. Never owned one but I've played maybe 5 or 6 different ones. Preferred the 205/210. Don't care for the dirt on these amps though.

I have two RoV 50 heads ( series one ). Not sure what they changed in the circuit from the early Singles, but they're not as bright and chimey. But, the dirt channel is great because I like the difference of it being darker/smoother compared to my Singles. Took away my jonesin' for a Roadster. 🤟
I can't compare contrast but good info. I have a Series II Rectoverb and admittedly don't use the clean channel all that much (as I love the OD channel like you said - smooth and dark) but the loop is much more usable than my Dual Rectifier (modded to Series actually).

Also of note, My Splawn has a great loop and super pedal friendly and the clean channel can be pushed pretty loud before breakup so I suppose that would be a great clean/clean pedal platform for a gigging musician.

I've had 4 C+s, and that amp used to be the king of the clean ch on a high gain amp but this PRS MT100 clean is even better. Great amp for 1800 new.
Honestly that was my first thought too - the MT100. A lot of the Bogner stuff has great cleans too.

I dunno I’d call it a high gainer but the 20th Shiva cleans could be an amp unto itself

I really liked the cleans on my 97' Bogner 101b, Friedman Custom, and my Mark III++ Green Stripe. Probably the best I've tried out of the amps i've owned.

20th XTC cleans are great. Reinhold really dialed the boost in too for a pushed feel with nice harmonics and compression

I love the ED and the cleans are great, very similar to the Mark VII.
And the gain tones are original
King animal by Soundgarden is the sound of the electrodyne . Pretty unique tones on that album. Not for everyone though

And the gain tones are original
King animal by Soundgarden is the sound of the electrodyne . Pretty unique tones on that album. Not for everyone though
I really love the gain on the ED also. A Vox meets Marshall flavor. I don't consider it high gain. Boosted it can get there for sure.

Back