Bonamassa's Amp Rig

• Thread starter Thread starter mikehickey
  • Start date Start date
Badronald":35jc05zx said:
All that gear and I much prefer his older tone with a Fender Strat, Gigliotti Tele, Silver Jub and a Budda. :aww:

I guess it was his approach, as much or more so, than his gear.

My thoughts as well. IMHO is tone has gotten too thick or muddy for a lack of better terms. Too much going on in the EQ spectrum.

But Joe still is a monster and makes it work for him. :rock:

ejecta":sclbu6ex said:
Badronald":sclbu6ex said:
All that gear and I much prefer his older tone with a Fender Strat, Gigliotti Tele, Silver Jub and a Budda. :aww:

I guess it was his approach, as much or more so, than his gear.

My thoughts as well. IMHO is tone has gotten too thick or muddy for a lack of better terms. Too much going on in the EQ spectrum.

But Joe still is a monster and makes it work for him. :rock:

Yeah, +2 tp all of the above. I love Joe but man, I loved him so much more back in 2001-2004 when he was playing strats...

reverymike":22u1hyme said:
The Whale":22u1hyme said:
mikehickey":22u1hyme said:
The onstage sound of the EVs is a big part of the sound even with the Palmers.

Mike - could you talk about this a bit more. I am also very curious about this, as JB strikes me a tone-junkie. The audience hears the Palmers, then? how are the palmers set? Are the cabinets producing the same massive stage volume? This is so curious to me...

M

Purely speculation on my part, but the EVs are known for their non-distortion changing character of the amp's tone (it's not like a greenback that actually produces additional overtones), so by bypassing them for the FOH, I think you're not missing much (the Palmers are sending the tone the amps produce to the FOH, and the EVs are doing the same onstage). Joe and the band get the tone and feel from the speakers onstage (and I'm sure at the volume he runs, some of it bleeds into the room).

Am I close? Killer gig dude - congrats!

This is how I see it. You can definitely hear the amps in the house too.

Congrats on the gig Mike and many thanks for sharing the info and the pics. :thumbsup:

Awesome man.
One question...
Being a Marshall Vintage Modern user myself, I've read that Joe has used the head on occasion. Can you verify or refute this? Thanks!

polaris20":1mruv6t5 said:
verderacer":1mruv6t5 said:
I like that fact that its a simple rig... How did those Palmers work for him?

I bet about as well as they do for Alex Lifeson, which is to say awesome.

Yea, I saw them in his 2112 20th anniv tour rig and someone elses also which got my curiosity goin. What I like about Bonamassa's rig is its pretty much all tube so I am sure he loads those Palmers up pretty good.

mikehickey":1mruv6t5 said:
reverymike":1mruv6t5 said:
The Whale":1mruv6t5 said:
mikehickey":1mruv6t5 said:
The onstage sound of the EVs is a big part of the sound even with the Palmers.

Mike - could you talk about this a bit more. I am also very curious about this, as JB strikes me a tone-junkie. The audience hears the Palmers, then? how are the palmers set? Are the cabinets producing the same massive stage volume? This is so curious to me...

M

Purely speculation on my part, but the EVs are known for their non-distortion changing character of the amp's tone (it's not like a greenback that actually produces additional overtones), so by bypassing them for the FOH, I think you're not missing much (the Palmers are sending the tone the amps produce to the FOH, and the EVs are doing the same onstage). Joe and the band get the tone and feel from the speakers onstage (and I'm sure at the volume he runs, some of it bleeds into the room).

Am I close? Killer gig dude - congrats!

This is how I see it. You can definitely hear the amps in the house too.

So Mike, are the Palmers pretty much transparent with the EV's loaded in his cabs?

Wow, awesome thread - was late to this party, but thanks so much for the pics. Not sure what those plexi-panels are for, but hey, whatever works. Nice line up of heads.

Thanks for posting!!

Mo

Several years ago I used a Palmer ADIG-LB04 in my rig post amp to help control the volume levels. The Palmers sound good. I certainly found it to be a better solution than a Hot Plate. Some of that "air" and speaker distortion is somewhat lost, but the Palmer did a good job of emulating that what was lost. That was using vintage Marshall 4x12's with original cream and blackbacks. I see where they are becoming more available than they use to. Back then, I could only find one supplier to purchase them from. Good solution for silent recording too.

verderacer":3ezrbrii said:
So Mike, are the Palmers pretty much transparent with the EV's loaded in his cabs?

I am not sure what that means...

mikehickey":1yb0ptxi said:
verderacer":1yb0ptxi said:

I am not sure what that means...

Dont affect the signal, sounds as if the amp was plugged straight into the cab...

yes correct, they don't seem to have an adverse effect on the sound.

Where is the Larry British Purist ?

On average, how long does he usually go without swapping at least one amp out from the lineup ?

How many licks has Joe stolen from you? And have you played Venom riffs through his rig yet? :lol: :LOL:

thegame":15fxcvqm said:

On average, how long does he usually go without swapping at least one amp out from the lineup ?

I don't know of this Larry,,,,
only the one slot varies... the Jubilee, Cat5, and Van Weelden have stayed constant.

might stick a Marsha in there one day :lol: :LOL:

rupe":ekflcrc6 said:
How many licks has Joe stolen from you? And have you played Venom riffs through his rig yet? :lol: :LOL:

:lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: it is really about the licks I am stealing from him!

mikehickey":to5l7a5m said:
thegame":to5l7a5m said:

only the one slot varies... the Jubilee, Cat5, and Van Weelden have stayed constant.

Maybe its part of his Euro rig ?

Attachments

• 101_0873.JPG
    101_0873.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 1,535
  • 101_0874.JPG
    101_0874.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 1,535
  • 101_1315.jpg
    101_1315.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 1,540
thegame":1b7nssp5 said:
mikehickey":1b7nssp5 said:
thegame":1b7nssp5 said:

Maybe its part of his Euro rig ?
I'm pretty sure that's just a relabled Bugera

Back