Bonamassa's Amp Rig

• Thread starter Thread starter mikehickey
  • Start date Start date
Carol-AnnAmps":2uerg1xp said:
Spaceboy":2uerg1xp said:
I think it's rad to see Bonamassa using those Palmers! He's definitely one of the last people I would expect to use speaker sims.

He has two amps running at a high SPL at any one time with a plexi-glass screen a foot away from the cabinets. You get a hell of a lot of phase cancellation and other weird anomilies from the reflected sound waves off the screen coming back to the mic on various axis. The screen is zig-zagged to reduce direct 180 deg reflection as much as possible but inevitably weird stuff still happened. . Channel seperation of the different amps was very difficult too because of the massive amount of sound pressure in such an enclosed space. all amps have a mic and overspill from the two amps not in use is totally unavoidable. It certainly doesn't make for an easy mic up situation. It was pretty inconsistent night after night. On some occasions the FOH sound was nowhere near the same as the stage. Other times it was fine. Mic placement and plexi-screen placement are so critical and so difficult to repeat night after night. The FOH sound quality of the guitar was incredibly better once the Palmers were used on all of the amps. At first just the Jubilee used the Palmer if I remeber correctly, but now they all do.

A buddy of mine uses two pieces of wood he put together with hinges and painted black. On the amp side he has sound foam. Blocks the sound and has no reflection (or VERY little). Seems to work perfect when I gigged with him. A couple bucks at Home Depot.

That's seems like a much better solution to the Bonamassa wall of plexiglass. You can't see the cabs behind, but who cares? You can see his head up top. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back