Brad Gillis with ozzy

• Thread starter Thread starter Techdeth
  • Start date Start date
Wow , never knew that he was using Boogies in those days .
Night Ranger were sponsored by Mesa. All Mark tone from the beginning. When Gillis played with Ozzy he used the 2Bs he had in 1982. Also used 2Bs on the first NR album. Second album were 2Cs, then C+ for the rest of the 80s. Not sure if they switched to anything else after that. Jeff Watson sold a pile of 2Cs, C+s about 12 years back if my memory serves me.

I typically hate Mesa's compressed nasally tone, but when Speak of the devil came out we loved it and listened to it a ton! Loved the tone then and now. Curious if the more compressed thing came later in the boogie's ?

Side note I read Rudy's book 'Off the rails' and he said no one including Randy (while he was still alive knew they had to do the sabbath stuff) wanted to record it. Pretty well known. But what Rudy said was they only had a couple of rehearsals at madison square gardens and Oz did not even show up. At showtime he had a tele prompter and was pretty trashed, but oz did nail the harmonica part on the wizard per Rudy. :geek:

If he had used Marshalls, we would still be talking about him.
Lol
Night Ranger were sponsored by Mesa. All Mark tone from the beginning. When Gillis played with Ozzy he used the 2Bs he had in 1982. Also used 2Bs on the first NR album. Second album were 2Cs, then C+ for the rest of the 80s. Not sure if they switched to anything else after that. Jeff Watson sold a pile of 2Cs, C+s about 12 years back if my memory serves me.
i know there’s mark3 add with Gillis

Lol

i know there’s mark3 add with Gillis
Sure; he and Jeff Watson posed in ads for all things Mesa. I’m sure he had IIIs when they came out. But he toured and recorded with the B, C and C+. When Watson sold his Mesas they were all C/C+. Maybe his fav was a 3 and he kept it? But part of his listing was identifying which amp he used for each album. 15K was his asking price and that was 2 Colis, 3 DRGs. 3 were C and 2 C+. All wood headshells too from what I remember.

I typically hate Mesa's compressed nasally tone, but when Speak of the devil came out we loved it and listened to it a ton! Loved the tone then and now. Curious if the more compressed thing came later in the boogie's ?

Side note I read Rudy's book 'Off the rails' and he said no one including Randy (while he was still alive knew they had to do the sabbath stuff) wanted to record it. Pretty well known. But what Rudy said was they only had a couple of rehearsals at madison square gardens and Oz did not even show up. At showtime he had a tele prompter and was pretty trashed, but oz did nail the harmonica part on the wizard per Rudy. :geek:
I’ve got the bootleg soundboard version of the two shows they recorded at the Ritz for the speak of the Devil album with Ozzy un altered vocals lol and it’s awesome. Ozzy is just out of his head yelling obscenities

I’ve got the bootleg soundboard version of the two shows they recorded at the Ritz for the speak of the Devil album with Ozzy un altered vocals lol and it’s awesome. Ozzy is just out of his head yelling obscenities
Here are the two nights at The Ritz for anyone who hasn't heard them (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath isn't on these because it was recorded during soundcheck one of the nights). There's some cool shit on both of these and cool to compare to the finished product we're all familiar with:

I also saw Brad with Ozzy in Memphis. He had a great tone and did a good job for the short time he had to prepare for that tough gig. I remember him using a black Les Paul that sounded awesome.

Sure; he and Jeff Watson posed in ads for all things Mesa. I’m sure he had IIIs when they came out. But he toured and recorded with the B, C and C+. When Watson sold his Mesas they were all C/C+. Maybe his fav was a 3 and he kept it? But part of his listing was identifying which amp he used for each album. 15K was his asking price and that was 2 Colis, 3 DRGs. 3 were C and 2 C+. All wood headshells too from what I remember.
He also had a IIC++ according to this old post on the Boogie board.

https://boogieforum.com/threads/double-nad-night-ranger-iic-iic.53614/#post-382473

Man no kidding! I had tickets to see Randy in Florida, scheduled for right after the crash occurred. What a soul crushing day that was. Just like that, my guy was gone.
Yep, and I was supposed to see the Knoxville show, his last. My friends parents backed out on us making the two hour drive from Chattanooga. Had my unused ticket for years but lost those and most of my concert stubs over time.

Ya he probably just promoted the adds just because. Like I seem a Marshall add fit in flames . They always used 5150

I think Gillis did a good job during that time and definitely held his own, especially given the heavy circumstances he stepped into. But there are times I’d like to rip that whammy bar out and throw it in the garbage.

Here are the two nights at The Ritz for anyone who hasn't heard them (Sabbath Bloody Sabbath isn't on these because it was recorded during soundcheck one of the nights). There's some cool shit on both of these and cool to compare to the finished product we're all familiar with:

This is killer

That's a great book with some great stories from those days in it! That part about The Wizard blowing Rudy, Brad, and Tommy away because Ozzy was wasted, pulled the harmonica out and played that intro like nothing and they had no idea he could even play the thing hahaha

I was another one of those guys in 82 that had my boombox recording the Memphis show off the radio. It actually was a pretty decent mix sound quality wise.
As for the pro released s.o.t.d.album with Brad's mesa 2 b's,I believe there's places on there that you can hear a 2nd amp kick in and out at times.

Yep, and I was supposed to see the Knoxville show, his last. My friends parents backed out on us making the two hour drive from Chattanooga. Had my unused ticket for years but lost those and most of my concert stubs over time.
ouch.

i was one of those that already had tickets for the diary show when the news broke about the crash. i was outside listening to the radio on my jvc ghetto blaster doing yard work when they announced the story and it could not believe it.

Back