Celestion G12H 75 Creamback. Is it me? Do people like these speakers?

• Thread starter Thread starter CarlF
  • Start date Start date
CarlF
CarlF
The current cab I'm using with the JVM410h and Suhr SL67 is the PRS poplar 4x12 w/ Celestion G12H 75 Creamback speakers.
I'm used to Greenbacks or V-30's. These Creamback 75's just don't do it for me. I feel I'm missing things especially with my Strats. That kinda stringy feel under the wound strings. They sound like congested midrange w/ too much bass. I understand these are a high-power version of the G12H-30's, but I've had those speakers and IMO they are nothing alike.

I dumped the PRS HDRX head and I think the PRS 4x12 is next.
I'm not willing to wait for a NEW Marshall cab, so I been looking at Friedman's 4x12, which I think would be perfect. My 2 favorite speakers in one cab (Greenback/ V-30's)
Any feedback on the Celestion G12H 75 Creambackss and/ or the Friedman cab would be appreciated.

Doesn't like the sound of these at all. Overpowering bass response, piercing high-end. Should work for half-deaf poeple or modeller lovers 😀
Friedman with V30/GB combo is much more pleasing sound, voice of rock.

I had a Suhr 212 with the H75s and hated them. Really brash top end.

Disagree 100%. I find them punchy without the blanket over the cab effect. Was running a 100w plexi through a 1960 cab loaded with them last night and it sounded fantastic. Much more aggressive speakers than say a G12M greenback or a G12T75 tho so they can take a little getting used to.

They're great speakers. Sound best when mixed with other speakers like v30s IMO. The do have a little sizzle on the top end, so I can understand the "brash" description. I really don't like Greenbacks or many M magnet speakers...to me they sound dull, muted and lifeless. If you want less brash than the H75, go for Redbacks. Definitely my favorite speaker.

I totally agree with your assessment. I hate those speakers. I hated them also mixed with my V30’s. I don’t generally like the H magnet celestions. The midrange is too hollow/smooth/lacking character. They have more lows and highs than the M magnet celestions, but still pale vs other brands in the lows and highs like JBL’s, Altec’s and Fane’s and hugely sacrifice the midrange as a really bad trade off since that’s really Celestion’s forte vs other brands, the one thing it really has over them

The Friedman cab you mentioned I remember liking, but it’s been a while now since I last heard it

I like the H75 Creambacks in general but imo where they really shine is with Fender-based circuits. Use them with Boogies like a Fillmore or a Mark series and they will sound incredible. They also sound great with old Bassmans and Twin amps. With Marshall-style amps they're kind of hit-or-miss for me.

I like the H75 Creambacks in general but imo where they really shine is with Fender-based circuits. Use them with Boogies like a Fillmore or a Mark series and they will sound incredible. They also sound great with old Bassmans and Twin amps. With Marshall-style amps they're kind of hit-or-miss for me.
IMO the H75 Creamback sounds less Celestion-like than most Celestions. I agree that they can sound good with other (generally cleaner) amps.

That said, I’ve mostly moved mine and I liked the M65 Creamback less. Both of them have a ‘shouting in your ear’ thing that becomes fatiguing.

But I mostly use old Celestion M25-75 Hz in whatever ‘color’back I can get…so I’m used to (spoiled with) that.

Creamback / Celestion Gold has been my go to in a vert 2x12 with my Wizard MC25 for a few years and close to 200 gigs, and more recently a Suhr PT15 IR. Love the combo

I have a pair of G12H-75 in a 4x12 with Vintage 30 on the bottom. I definitely like them. Speakers are still getting broken in. But the cab has a fairly big modern voice. Plenty of bottom and nice rawness.

Well OP

I would say it's pretty clear you don't like creambacks

I used to like them before I heard rezas demos, now, like you, Im not into them either

Well OP

I would say it's pretty clear you don't like creambacks

I used to like them before I heard rezas demos, now, like you, Im not into them either
Reza uses I believe mostly Alnico Creams (90w) that sound pretty different from Creamback H75's or M65's. I don't like the way they sound in his demos either, but I have one that came in a 112 of mine (replaced it with one of my preferred vintage speakers) and actually think it can be pretty good. I don't use it due the great vintage speakers I have, but for something newer it's not bad at all imo. It sounds to me a bit like a more modern, higher wattage Alnico Blue with less mid hump

Reza uses I believe mostly Alnico Creams (90w) that sound pretty different from Creamback H75's or M65's. I don't like the way they sound in his demos either, but I have one that came in a 112 of mine (replaced it with one of my preferred vintage speakers) and actually think it can be pretty good. I don't use it due the great vintage speakers I have, but for something newer it's not bad at all imo. It sounds to me a bit like a more modern, higher wattage Alnico Blue with less mid hump

Yeah it was more of just a joke i don't really care for or own creambacks at all

They, in all their incarnations, seem to take out the midrange that is the defining attribute of celestion speakers, and I don't care for it

Other people (besides reza) seem to get good sounds out of them though

I had a 4x12 loaded with them, couldn’t stand them at all and could never dial that cab in no matter what amp I was playing through.

Now my early 70s Marshall cabs with REAL creambacks are a whole different story. Best cabs ever.

Yeah it was more of just a joke i don't really care for or own creambacks at all

They, in all their incarnations, seem to take out the midrange that is the defining attribute of celestion speakers, and I don't care for it

Other people (besides reza) seem to get good sounds out of them though
Yeah that’s why I don’t like most of the higher wattage or H magnet celestions (it compromises Celestion’s real strength), but I still like the Redbacks and 444 cone G12-80’s. If I want strong lows or highs I’d just with go JBL’s, Altec’s, Cletrons or Crescendo’s

I have a Carstens 2x12 that has a 90w Alnico Cream and a 100w Weber ceramic Blue Dog. Very cool cab. It mellows out amps with that raspy spitty kind of sound. I use it with the Grace, obv, but it also sounded great with my old Trainwreck Express clone.

I had a 4x12 loaded with them, couldn’t stand them at all and could never dial that cab in no matter what amp I was playing through.

Now my early 70s Marshall cabs with REAL creambacks are a whole different story. Best cabs ever.
Yeah those ‘70’s RIC cone Creambacks are really good, but the real pinnacle IME with Celestion’s are the ‘60’s 20w Greenbacks and ‘60’s Alnico. Not cheap, but incredible

I've been using the G12H-75 for many years now and I do like them a lot. I haven't tried the M65 yet, but would like to at some point. Anyway... I think the H75s are dope. Punchy, mean growly mid range, tight lows. The highs can be a little bright at times, but easy enough to turn the treble/presence on the amp down. Also... I prefer the 8ohm versions over the 16. There is a sonic difference.

I had 2 of them in a splawn 2x12 cab for a while. I didn't like em as much as my greenbacks so i sold the cab

Back