Dave Murray now using Fractal

• Thread starter Thread starter 4406cuda
  • Start date Start date
They sound ok, but still not nearly as good as a real amp. It was easy to pick out who was using modelers at the hendrix experience tour I saw a couple of years ago. Big bands using modelers are still the minority. Of the dozens and dozens of concerts I've been to the last 15 years only 3 used modelers. As for the local guys, the modeler is only as good as the band's pa, which is usually junk. I've never heard a good modeler tone in a club.

LMAO… not as good as a real amp… who are you trying to convince? Us or yourself ?

Tell ya what… I’ll be happy to post a comparison clip with the same DI of my recto rev F, and the axe fx…. SaMe IR, volume matched etc..you really think you’ll be able to tell which is which? Or more importantly WHY you prefer one over the other? You don’t have a prayer, and neither does anyone else.

If you’ve only seen 3 bands in 15 years using a modeler of some kind, you haven’t been to that many shows in the least….. that, or you are going to jazz gigs.

I’ll give you that on local bands and PA’s though for sure, If there is one downfall to a modeler, it is that no doubt. However, if you use it with a cab and power amp , it’s no different than an amp being on stage with a shitty FOH as well.

i think it was 2010 or maybe earlier i got to check out megadeth's rig and they already had a rack full of Axe's then
I had spoken to Chris Broderick at NAMM about them using AXE FX's and he said they were using in-ear-monitoring with them.

It didn't sound like they had them going through any tube amps or power amps.

It would have been interesting to hear what it sounded like in the mix and live.

Reactions: rsm
So, just for the record…..what amps do you use? Do you gig?
Not OP, but I used to gig with a JMP-1 and moved the whole thing over to Fractal. Way better overall experience.

I'm unsure as to what people's issues is. If no one made a rig rundown, no one would know he changed to Fractal, and thus no one care?

Here's my old rig split up and safe at home

LMAO… not as good as a real amp… who are you trying to convince? Us or yourself ?

Tell ya what… I’ll be happy to post a comparison clip with the same DI of my recto rev F, and the axe fx…. SaMe IR, volume matched etc..you really think you’ll be able to tell which is which? Or more importantly WHY you prefer one over the other? You don’t have a prayer, and neither does anyone else.

If you’ve only seen 3 bands in 15 years using a modeler of some kind, you haven’t been to that many shows in the least….. that, or you are going to jazz gigs.

I’ll give you that on local bands and PA’s though for sure, If there is one downfall to a modeler, it is that no doubt. However, if you use it with a cab and power amp , it’s no different than an amp being on stage with a shitty FOH as well.

Last guy in my studio who made the claim "not as good as the real amp" failed every single A/B test I threw at them.

Proof people listen with their eyes more than their ears.

Not OP, but I used to gig with a JMP-1 and moved the whole thing over to Fractal. Way better overall experience.

I'm unsure as to what people's issues is. If no one made a rig rundown, no one would know he changed to Fractal, and thus no one care?

Brings back memories.

I used an ADA rig back in the day; 4 x vertical 2x12 SplitStacks for a full stack, ADA MP-1, MQ1, B200S, and Alesis QuadraVerb. It replaced an ART SGX-2000 and Peavey power amp. Eventually, I replaced the MP-1 and MQ-1 with a MP-2. I had backups for the MP-1 and MP-2.

Here was the last time they were together before the sell-off, but I did keep my #1 MP-2. It still works, but the weak point is the display, tough to find a replacement.

ADA-Main-Rack.jpg

Last guy in my studio who made the claim "not as good as the real amp" failed every single A/B test I threw at them.

It really is insane that people are still this hard headed about modeling at this point. My personality, I’m very much a traditionalist; just in general in all parts of my life. But, for some reason I’ve never had this problem with guitar equipment. I embraced it right when the kemper came out in 2011, bought one, and used it non stop for the next 6-7 years live. Maybe becsuse some guys don’t understand how expensive it is to move equipment from place to place? Or the hassle that it is? There is ALOT to playing at a level like Iron Maiden, and the guy who said they have bigger fish to fry than dissecting if the tone is a modeler or a tube amp, hit the nail on the head completely.

In all reality, if I was playing at THAT level, I’d probably actually use real amps becsuse I could afford it, have a tech etc. maybe… I say that but, the consistency of something like the axe fx is incredibly difficult to beat, it makes so many other things related to the actual show itself, run smoothly.

When I played for a living, my goal was to make my tone the absolute best I could, as easy as possible, and to have everything that I could control sound great, so when it came to the FOH or my monitor tech, there job was as easy as possible… or, if it sounded like shit, it wasn’t on my end. That was the goal. A modeler is pretty hard to beat for this. We played with tracks, every song to a click, stage bleed was non existent, the mix was super clean, there’s just tons of positives about it that completely outweigh a real amp live in my opinion.

No one here, nor could I myself, differentiate which one is my real recto or the fractal, it’s not going to
Happen. Will they sound different? Sure, slightly due to tolerances in electronics, what was actually used etc. but, no one is going to be able identify “well this clip is the digital product because of xyz in the tone”…. Not gonna happen.

Nice! Like someone mentioned, some good looking memories right there - I had the same GK amp back in the day, those little things were killer!

Brings back memories.

I used an ADA rig back in the day; 4 x vertical 2x12 SplitStacks for a full stack, ADA MP-1, MQ1, B200S, and Alesis QuadraVerb. It replaced an ART SGX-2000 and Peavey power amp. Eventually, I replaced the MP-1 and MQ-1 with a MP-2. I had backups for the MP-1 and MP-2.

Here was the last time they were together before the sell-off, but I did keep my #1 MP-2. It still works, but the weak point is the display, tough to find a replacement.

View attachment 219442

Amazing rig! But if you dare model it into a Fractal I will personally shit on your porch and tell you your tone is shit.

• Haha
Reactions: rsm
Amazing rig! But if you dare model it into a Fractal I will personally shit on your porch and tell you your tone is shit.
I'll add the MQ-1 was my secret weapon, I regret selling it, but it taught me the value of EQ; sometimes the only effect I use is an EQ pedal, currently a Source Audio EQ2.

this is what i was saying in one of my previous posts that confuses me about guitar players, even when you prove to them they cant tell the difference.. they still can tell the difference and thats it :dunno: this seems to be going on in all aspects in life though these days where facts just dont seem to matter much.

this is what i was saying in one of my previous posts that confuses me about guitar players, even when you prove to them they cant tell the difference.. they still can tell the difference and thats it :dunno: this seems to be going on in all aspects in life though these days where facts just dont seem to matter much.
Exactly. I often just move on quickly after exposing their cognitive dissonance. Some people can get quite emotional over such things and will attack you personally.

The only reason Dave's tone is now "bad," is because people where told he's using something different to what they like. It has NOTHING to do with the actual tone.

I've proven this a number of times by recording someone playing into their own amp using an IR. I then take the IR and run it through a Fractal preset with a similar set up. I tell them to choose A or B. Most of the time they go B and I tell them it's a Fractal unit. You can see the dogma leave their body in real time haha.

It really is insane that people are still this hard headed about modeling at this point.

of course articles were popping up in my social media about this maiden guy going digital so i had to read the comments.. totally different than anything you see on forums, 90% of the hundreds of comments were people who did go modeler and are staying there because they just sound too good and are too convenient to go back.

of course articles were popping up in my social media about this maiden guy going digital so i had to read the comments.. totally different than anything you see on forums, 90% of the hundreds of comments were people who did go modeler and are staying there because they just sound too good and are too convenient to go back.
As much as I love this forum, it can remind me of an old dogmatic grandpa who fears anything they don't understand. I see people on here get really emotionaly hung up on shit they would call others "snowflakes" for doing.

As much as I love this forum, it can remind me of an old dogmatic grandpa who fears anything they don't understand. I see people on here get really emotionaly hung up on shit they would call others "snowflakes" for doing.

i love it, i get oddly fascinated by people having such different view points and hang ups than my own. things like dying on the hill in the name of tubes, unconditional love and support for 1985 guy, refusing to use spotify or other streaming platforms for whatever nonsensical reasons.. these are exciting topics to me because i just dont understand at all and want to get to the bottom of

i love it, i get oddly fascinated by people having such different view points and hang ups than my own. things like dying on the hill in the name of tubes, unconditional love and support for 1985 guy, refusing to use spotify or other streaming platforms for whatever nonsensical reasons.. these are exciting topics to me because i just dont understand at all and want to get to the bottom of
I totally get what you mean. People love an enemy. An "us and them" mentality. A little internal battle to rear the serotonin feed-back loop.

The fact the threat/enemy is someone getting a great live tone with a Fractal... then that's fucking hilarious. Imagine setting an arbitrary rule for when music technology is no longer allowed to advance. And kids aren't allowed to dress weird, shred, and piss off the oldies like they did.

Whoever pays gets the rig...

Modelers are paying the touring musicians...like amp companies used to do back in the day...

JMP1s cannot be endorsed anyways...
We don't and have never paid anyone to use our products. I don't believe in that and it was a fundamental tenet of the business from day one. I want people to use our products because they like them, not because of an endorsement deal.

This is such a great point and something everyone on this forum (and the other three letter one that Shall Not Be Named) needs to remember: we are the minority. Us sitting here scrutinizing every minor facet of gear is absolutely not what 90% of guitar players are doing. Most people buy an amp or a modeler or a cab or a pedal or whatever, they either like it or don't, and keep it or move on. I'd also wager that 90% of people who buy a piece of gear are generally happy with it, especially at first.

One reason modelers, especially the AxeFX, make sense that I haven't heard mentioned here is the ability to recall sounds easily.

When you're on a huge tour, you aren't usually changing the setlist night-to-night. The setlist is already figured out during rehearsals before the tour begins. The backing tracks and tempo tracks get pulled up and sequenced for the show along with the visual effects. The guitarist needs to be able to recall sounds for each song and each section of each song easily, and might have to cover a huge catalog of sounds from a 1-30 year history of gear that was used on various albums. (Imagine something like the Foo Fighters, for example, who might want old Recto Boogie sounds for stuff from The Colour and the Shape but then want Friedman BE's for the newer stuff.)

The AxeFX makes this super easy. Each song in the setlist can be a patch and then each scene within that patch can be a part of the song. So you could start with a really clean Fender-style sound, move to a Marshall crunch for the chorus, a Boogie Mark for your leads, and a Vox AC-30 for the bridge. You can have different reverbs, delays, cabs, mics, etc on every single different scene -- literally anything you want -- all kick in at once without a huge switching system. It would take five amps, iso cabs, road cases, microphones, cables, amp switchers, pedals, etc. to recreate this in a huge touring rig "refrigerator." But with the AxeFX you can have it all preprogrammed so all you have to do is keep moving through your scenes and patches as the show goes on. Literally just one foot switch button at a time. And every night it sounds exactly the same with no maintenence or upkeep of any kind. And the best part? If your AxeFX shits the bed, they can just overnight you another one that will sound and operate exactly the same way and you can just pull your patches down from the cloud. You're literally right back on your feet exactly where you were.

And the kicker? This thing is only $3500.

I love my tube amps and I'll never go fully digital, but I love my Axe FX too. It's seriously the best money you can spend on a rig right now. No other product can give you all that in one package for that price.

We don't and have never paid anyone to use our products. I don't believe in that and it was a fundamental tenet of the business from day one. I want people to use our products because they like them, not because of an endorsement deal.
I'm actually stoked to see the industry moving in this direction. Brian Carstens of Carstens Amplification told me he doesn't give any amps away for free, even to artists, because "a free piece of gear gets treated like a free piece of gear." He feels his amps are something special and wants people to play them because they sound great and enjoy them. It makes me feel like the artist is making a deliberate choice to play those amps, which makes me want one even more.

Back