Derek St Holmes and Ted Nugent live in the 70's. Fuuuuck!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnnyGtar
  • Start date Start date
JohnnyGtar
JohnnyGtar
Derek takes the first solo, Ted the second one. Sweet Jeebus on a pogo stick, those motherfuckers could fucking RIP. It also features best introduction to a rock tune in the history of humankind.

This thread ain't about politics, so please save that for the Off Topic forum.

I remember being at my neighbors house when I was like 7 with my parents for some party, this song came on and I was intrigued, I asked my father who was a DJ if he had the record and surprisingly he didn’t so the dude put this, foghat, deep purple and a few other 70s rippers on a tape for me, it might actually be the first time I said “those guitars are ripping” lol

Those years when Ted and Frank Marino were doing the big Jam Concert circuit - that really raised the bar. Arguably the inception of shred.

Those years when Ted and Frank Marino were doing the big Jam Concert circuit - that really raised the bar. Arguably the inception of shred.
I'd have to agree. Steve Morse said "Ted Nugent was shredding before it was a thing." Frank Marino... I'm not worthy!

I saw both of those guys in 1980. The lineup for Ted's gig was Def Leppard, Scorpions, Ted. I got more than my money's worth that night!

Frank's at Alpine Valley gig started off with a band called Missouri (I think Mother's Finest was supposed to play the opening slot but they weren't there), Humble Pie (First time I heard them. I found them to be boring. Couldn't wait for their set to be over!) then Angel, then Frank.

(I know Steve Marriott is a legend and the object of worship to many, but I never liked his voice. Irritating to my ears, and his stage raps were the dumbest I've ever witnessed. And yes, I know Frampton was in Humble Pie in the classic lineup.)

Reactions: PDC
Derek St Holmes is grossly underrated as a vocalist and guitarist.
The First Whitford St Holmes album is a must have.
I’ll add, the St Paradise album is also great. Album cover is my avatar. Great tones and playing from Derek along with Denny Carmassi and Rob Grange.

Derek takes the first solo, Ted the second one.

This album came out when I was 7, older brother had it, so I know it like I know my own hands - But it never occurred to me that Derek handled any solos, it literally never crossed my mind - Had no idea he was such a killer slinger as well as singer!
That being said, it makes me that much more disappointed in the Whitford St Holmes record, that first one should have been a grand slam given the caliber of players. It wasn't even a base hit to me. Womp womp.
Unapologetic Uncle Ted fan.

I saw Frank open for Ted at my first concert in '76. Loved Ted at the time and had never heard of Frank but instantly became a big fan of his. Some new band named Foreigner actually opened that show before Frank.

Reactions: PDC
Fucking-A! Always loved Ted and Derek St Holmes' work together - some great, great music out of that era

Thanks for posting this! I love footage of Ted with Derek in the band. Nugent's later stuff doesn't hold a candle to the era when Derek and Rob Grange were in the band. One exception, though: Ted's "Intensities in ten cities" kicks ass.

This facemelter still makes me wanna hold my lighter high up in the air.

I saw Ted many times in the 70's. I thought he was cool but cheesy, like KISS was. I listened to Poontang just now and it was quite cheesy, especially the extra cheesy rapping in the beginning. Tarzan with a guitar.

Yeah, don't tell me Gonzo wasn't doin' coke in the 70's..
His jaw is moving like a car crusher.. LOL

Back