Floyd Rose releases Stone Tone granite block

• Thread starter Thread starter shgshg
  • Start date Start date
Bluplirst":4kdjplkp said:
Rocky Knight":4kdjplkp said:
This post is for Steve Henning...As you move forward with your install ...you might already be aware of this, but when you swap out a metal block for the granite Stone Tone block, you lose your continuity through the springs/claw...for keeping the guitar quiet it is a good idea to solder a ground wire from the copper strip to your trem claw/electronics cavity....I have found that this is a good practice anyway as it seems superior to using the springs for continuity...hope this helps...

Hi Robert! You don't need to create a new account for helpful tips! That's a good thing, and can only help your rep...

Good morning! I do know Rob as I have purchased some of his Stone Tone Rock Blocks and some Floyd Roses, Springs, Nut Locks...He is an authorized Floyd dealer by the way...I was just offering that tip to Steve as some folks in the past had issues with hum, noise, etc. due to ungrounded strings...

OK folks... Here is a clip of the Ti Block. I'll do the Stone next:

Dirt and Clean clip of the guitar with the original Ti Block

BTW - Same amp, same settings. I just turned the volume down on the guitar to get the clean. Recorded with a Royer R-121 close mic'd into my Great Rivers Pre. Dirty part is doubled (poorly! :lol: :LOL: )

Oh, yeah - this clip was made with a guitar that has low output OX4 PAF clones in it - 8.3K bridge, 7.5K neck. Heavy was the bridge pickup, Clean was the neck pickup.

Settings (You can see there is a ton more gain on tap!):

br_settings.jpg

Mic position:

br_mic.jpg

Steve

JTyson":37usd2n7 said:
Wow, that amp cleans up nice Steve, Well done :yes: :thumbsup:
:rock: It's my new 50 Watt Henning Bottle Rocket set reasonably heavy. Much more gain on tap though!

Steve

crankyrayhanky":2ppz3wc1 said:
Well... Dude! I have to take the guitar apart and put it back together with the Stone block. Gimme a bit of time...

Steve

Holy balls, that amp sounds fantastic! Selling any profiles :) ?

I am actually looking more forward to what you have to "SAY" about Stone tone block.
since you have used a big brass block for a while now and play the same guitars as i do
your comments will cover what i need to know :thumbsup:

stone.jpg

OK, so I got the block into this Ti Floyd, put the guitar back together and set it up...

I'm gonna be honest here and say that as a scientific kinda guy (electrical engineer), I was pretty skeptical about the science behind this block and I really wanted to prove that it was just bullshit to get people's money. Obviously, I have no relationship with the company whatsoever...

Well... regardless of the actual science, the bottom line is that my subjective opinion after playing with and without plugging in for awhile is that this block has made the MOST significant change to my guitar than a block of any other kind, and I've had the big brass ones and the Ti ones. Without plugging in, the whole guitar vibrates in your hands so strongly when you strike a chord, it is almost disturbing. The body does the same thing under your right arm. It feels like it's ALIVE or something... Based on my testing, both chords and single notes sustain MUCH longer than with the previous Ti block. And remember, I'm testing a 42mm Ti block against a 32mm Stone block. The Ti one is way longer and heavier. When I plugged in, the guitar sustained much longer as well and it sounds "throatier" for lack of a better word.

I have no idea how this is going to translate to a recording. Truthfully, I expect the difference will not seem like much, but I'm going to play the same exact things as the previous clip and record them the same exact way to see. One thing that is undeniable is that the guitar FEELS much different - the vibrations of the strings through the body and neck are unbelievably stronger. I dig that feeling a lot, but it's weird at first. I compared it to my white relic strat guitar that has a big brass block and it is night and day - the feel of the vibrations with Stone block are way stronger and the guitar felt exactly like the white relic strat with the Ti block.

Crazy...

Clips soon... as I said, dunno if it'll make a difference...

Steve

wow...I actually thought it would be effective compared to stock blocks, but did not expect it to have a 3rd party review where it destroyed big brass blocks.
Looks like I need to see if I can fit one in my HP :yes:

Well, that particular difference means a lot to me personally as that is how I always first play any guitar I'm interested in (as I stated above)
I would not doubt at all a lot of that will translate into the recording. If it sounds good acoustically, it should sound good plugged in.
Thanks for doing this Steve, I know you have no dog in this fight. I also know it will be whatever you say it is (or isint)
Honestly, I almost wanted you to find less than was stated, just because of the way it was presented, but the truth is always what it is :rock:
Looking forward to the clip :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sah5150":ofkk8os9 said:
One thing that is undeniable is that the guitar FEELS much different - the vibrations of the strings through the body and neck are unbelievably stronger.

That's similar to what the TEK2 bridge I have in one of my warmoths. All in all, I think I prefer the standard strat bridge for the sake of simplicity (easy to string, TEK2 is a minor pain) but it's cool nonetheless.

Keeping in mind I only have one guitar with the TEK2 and one with the standard hardtail strat bridge, the TEK notes are as many have described, more piano like. Again, cool but I don't that I like it better than the strat style bridge.

Bob Savage":3bhltcg9 said:
sah5150":3bhltcg9 said:
One thing that is undeniable is that the guitar FEELS much different - the vibrations of the strings through the body and neck are unbelievably stronger.

That's similar to what the TEK2 bridge I have in one of my warmoths. All in all, I think I prefer the standard strat bridge for the sake of simplicity (easy to string, TEK2 is a minor pain) but it's cool nonetheless.

Keeping in mind I only have one guitar with the TEK2 and one with the standard hardtail strat bridge, the TEK notes are as many have described, more piano like. Again, cool but I don't that I like it better than the strat style bridge.
Yeah, I get what your saying. It's very subjective whether that strong vibration feels good or not, but there is no question it out-sustains any block I've tried. And I like the throaty sound of it too...

Steve

JTyson":23xw434h said:
Well, that particular difference means a lot to me personally as that is how I always first play any guitar I'm interested in (as I stated above)
I would not doubt at all a lot of that will translate into the recording. If it sounds good acoustically, it should sound good plugged in.
Thanks for doing this Steve, I know you have no dog in this fight. I also know it will be whatever you say it is (or isint)
Honestly, I almost wanted you to find less than was stated, just because of the way it was presented, but the truth is always what it is :rock:
Looking forward to the clip :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Yeah, no problem - I was pretty curious myself. Hopefully I can get to a clip this weekend, but my wife is having surgery tomorrow so it may be a few more days...

Steve

Wow - well that is an unexpected result. Can't wait to hear the clip.

jcmlespaul":1ztd7dmb said:
Any noticeable changes eq wise?
It's subtle, but as I said, it sounds more "throaty" for lack of a better description.

Steve

The vibrations through the body and neck are why I've pretty much have just been playing LP's since 2012.

This block sounds promising. I may have to give one a shot since I have an assload of OFR strats/super strats around :)

I'm one of those who thinks if a guitar doesn't feel right, sound right or sustain righ unplugged...it gets put down an never gets plugged in...sustain isn't an electrified thing for me...if you make it sing unplugged it will sing plugged in..just my opinion.

thanks for doin this Steve....I loved the clean tone...the dirt was lacked some mid to bottom end to my ears, a bit top heavy.

Shawn Lutz":2zs9vbjz said:
The vibrations through the body and neck are why I've pretty much have just been playing LP's since 2012.

This block sounds promising. I may have to give one a shot since I have an assload of OFR strats/super strats around :)

I'm one of those who thinks if a guitar doesn't feel right, sound right or sustain righ unplugged...it gets put down an never gets plugged in...sustain isn't an electrified thing for me...if you make it sing unplugged it will sing plugged in..just my opinion.

thanks for doin this Steve....I loved the clean tone...the dirt was lacked some mid to bottom end to my ears, a bit top heavy.
No problem - happy to help out with stuff like this. On the tone of the heavy part - I bet it would sound killer in a mix based on my experience with EQing heavy guitars for mixes and soloing them during that process...

Steve

Back