Hagen-Proto Review - first video and audio clip inside

• Thread starter Thread starter Niilz
  • Start date Start date
Niilz
Niilz
Well,

some days ago I visited Peter in his workshop since I wanted to see how he builds his amps and - more important - how he tunes the sound of his amps' channels.

Long story short: I bought the Hagen after Peter had fine-tuned the prototype and played it the whole sunday and monday in the studio and compared the thing with other amps. :D

CH1: "Hiwatt"ish clean with little break up if needed (gain 14:00h or "later" ;-) and - that's what Peter tuned "for" me - a top end sparkle like a Blackface/Silverface Fender (I'd compare it to a 65 Deluxe Reverb or Princeton).

CH2: Somehow a modern JTM45/Bassman with the usual Diezel Poweramp punch but more organic, faster, more direct but still similar to the second channel of a VH4.

CH3: THE NEW BIG THING!!!! Wow! Think of a VH4 3rd channel with the grease of a JCM 900 SLX, the fast, tight attack of a Mesa Mark V ("Extreme" mode or similar - but not "ice pickish"), somehow "5150"ish upper mids, the low mids and upper bass of a Herbert (without that Herbert subbass "omph!"). ...and it has really a low noisefloor.

CH4: More gain, less attack than CH3 - perfect for lead-sounds or mid-scooped crunch sounds. (By the way: mid scooped does not mean "liveless" nor does it mean, that you cannot be heard in a band context. The voicing of this channel fits perfect for a more technical-death-metal style or djent stuff if you do not use to much gain.

In other words: A dream for every metal/hard-rock player who likes Mesa's Mark IIC+/IV/V or Marshall JVM/JCM900/AFD or Bogner XTC 20th Anniv. w/EL34 or Peavey's 5150(+) (or 6505).

...for a Diezel-Hagen-and-Diezel-factory-picture-love-story please check out my facebook page! ;-)
here: http://www.facebook.com/niilz

MourningEngine":6ldzh6d0 said:
No access to the pictures on facebook :(

Ohhh! SORRY!!! :confused:

Now you can see them if you are registered and logged in @ FB - I just set my account privacy for pictures to "free to see for all users" ;-)

"my" amp ;-)
imagekoom.jpg

Peter and a Herbert mk.II (?) board
imagewey.jpg

Peter's new reverb circuit
imagefgxi.jpg

the circiut-board-program on Peter's laptop
imagevyk.jpg

the serial no.
imagexsa.jpg

... :rock: :rock: :rock:
imagetfq.jpg

I like everything that I am hearing about this amp. I love my VH4 and Herbert...But I am also a long time fan of the Peavey 5150 series and Mesa Mark (particularly M-III Red Stripe). It really sound like this amp may be a great fit for me. I hope that you have the opportunity to post some clips at some point. Thanks for the review. :thumbsup:

I love those pics, especially the one with the computer showing all the circuit board!
Nice stuff!, I bet the amp sounds killer like all Diezels do!

This makes me SO happy to read... I was JUST thinkinng today, having never really HEARD my soon-to-be Hagen, what does this thing sound like?? I was looking at the channels and their labels, I thought:

Ch.1: No idea, maybe mre sparkle and punch, a bit more glassier feel to it. Sounds as though reality is beyond my expectation, dude, Fender cleans?? Lookout. And lemme guess, same Diezel percussiveness?? So sweet.

Ch.2: I thought maybe along the lines of the Tex mode Einstein. I'm very pleased with my VH4's Ch.2 as it's the last frontier in Diezeland tone, SO much stuff in there. Pleased to read this.

Ch.3: I thought it was the same as the V's Ch.3 but with a little more looseness to it. Sounds to me as though this is the business. Sounds to me as though this is CATS ASS PAJAMAS!!!! Whoa. A new signature tone, SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!

Ch.4: Liquid lead. I think I was expecting exactly what you had written, thinking maybe it was the flavor of the Herbert's mid cut high gain style tone.

I was JUST informed this morning that my Hagen is coming very soon. THANK YOU Peter, and man, you've got a GREAT guy here in Canada rep'ing your products (Andy Cherna). Thank you Nilz for the update and review. I think I've made the right choice here to try something a little more grinding and chewy. I've been hoping for this new style of sonic pallete from Diezel, with the Diezel tone, of course. Very exciting.

Awesome review...!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

V.

Argh it makes my choice even harder now (and not only it :P). Could you please make some samples ?

Niilz":zckcpb4c said:
Well,

some days ago I visited Peter in his workshop since I wanted to see how he builds his amps and - more important - how he tunes the sound of his amps' channels.

Long story short: I bought the Hagen after Peter had fine-tuned the prototype and played it the whole sunday and monday in the studio and compared the thing with other amps. :D

CH1: "Hiwatt"ish clean with little break up if needed (gain 14:00h or "later" ;-) and - that's what Peter tuned "for" me - a top end sparkle like a Blackface/Silverface Fender (I'd compare it to a 65 Deluxe Reverb or Princeton). The

CH2: Somehow a modern JTM45/Bassman with the usual Diezel Poweramp punch but more organic, faster, more direct but still similar to the second channel of a VH4.

CH3: THE NEW BIG THING!!!! Wow! Think of a VH4 3rd channel with the grease of a JCM 900 SLX, the fast, tight attack of a Mesa Mark V ("Extreme" mode or similar - but not "ice pickish"), somehow "5150"ish upper mids, the low mids and upper bass of a Herbert (without that Herbert subbass "omph!"). ...and it has really a low noisefloor.

CH4: More gain, less attack than CH3 - perfect for lead-sounds or mid-scooped crunch sounds. (By the way: mid scooped does not mean "liveless" nor does it mean, that you cannot be heard in a band context. The voicing of this channel fits perfect for a more technical-death-metal style or djent stuff if you do not use to much gain.

In other words: A dream for every metal/hard-rock player who likes Mesa's Mark IIC+/IV/V or Marshall JVM/JCM900/AFD or Bogner XTC 20th Anniv. w/EL34 or Peavey's 5150(+) (or 6505).

...for a Diezel-Hagen-and-Diezel-factory-picture-love-story please check out my facebook page! ;-)
here: http://www.facebook.com/niilz

Wonder if I can get one for half price for Channels 3 and 4? :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

No problem Uncle Steve. Just stop by and
take the chain saw.

:lol: :LOL:

Ventura":18fpkl6r said:
...I was looking at the channels and their labels, I thought:

...Ch.3: I thought it was the same as the V's Ch.3 but with a little more looseness to it. Sounds to me as though this is the business. Sounds to me as though this is CATS ASS PAJAMAS!!!! Whoa. A new signature tone, SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!

Well, IT IS!!! :D :rock: :yes:
...always keep in mind, that there still is a lot of Marshall flavour in Peter's amps, but this channel has all it needs for a new legendary Diezel signature sound which can be recognized like a Rectifier, Mark IIC+, JCM800 and similar amps.

the front of the new factory
imageage.jpg

Schmidt
imageywq.jpg

Herbert mk.II
imageink.jpg

Congradulations Nils on getting the Proto Hagen. :thumbsup: :rock:
The amp sounds wonderful the way you had Peter tune it for you.
I hope you find many happy years of enjoyment using it.
Stephen

Ventura":2z9j5ge8 said:
This makes me SO happy to read... I was JUST thinkinng today, having never really HEARD my soon-to-be Hagen, what does this thing sound like?? I was looking at the channels and their labels, I thought:

Ch.1: No idea, maybe mre sparkle and punch, a bit more glassier feel to it. Sounds as though reality is beyond my expectation, dude, Fender cleans?? Lookout. And lemme guess, same Diezel percussiveness?? So sweet.

Ch.2: I thought maybe along the lines of the Tex mode Einstein. I'm very pleased with my VH4's Ch.2 as it's the last frontier in Diezeland tone, SO much stuff in there. Pleased to read this.

Ch.3: I thought it was the same as the V's Ch.3 but with a little more looseness to it. Sounds to me as though this is the business. Sounds to me as though this is CATS ASS PAJAMAS!!!! Whoa. A new signature tone, SAY IT AIN'T SO!!!!!

Ch.4: Liquid lead. I think I was expecting exactly what you had written, thinking maybe it was the flavor of the Herbert's mid cut high gain style tone.

I was JUST informed this morning that my Hagen is coming very soon. THANK YOU Peter, and man, you've got a GREAT guy here in Canada rep'ing your products (Andy Cherna). Thank you Nilz for the update and review. I think I've made the right choice here to try something a little more grinding and chewy. I've been hoping for this new style of sonic pallete from Diezel, with the Diezel tone, of course. Very exciting.

Awesome review...!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

V.

Please know that you will be held accountable for a full detailed review within 24 hours of recieving said Diezel Hagen...Inquiring minds want to know.

Back