Hammett On Beato

• Thread starter Thread starter RevDrucifer
  • Start date Start date
iPhones have automated back ups :dunno:
I have an Android so I use MS OneDrive :dunno:
You're young. I figured you knew these things :dunno:

Also, yes guitar forums may be a small percentage of Metallica listeners but the flip side is that Metallica is a guitar driven band with guitar driven music and as such we talk about them a lot.

Keith Richards did a documentary on Netflix lately that I thought was pretty good. I watched while on a flight to Florida. I was not expecting much. I mean I like the guy OK and I like the Rolling Stones but I don't listen to him/them proactively if you know what I mean. But he went into pretty good detail about how he is constantly striving to be better and to find blues licks that will work for him and actively seeking out new stuff. The dude is 70 something and they are still touring. Granted, it may not be as technical as Metallica but the story resonated.
If someone was putting a gun to me head and said you have 2 minutes to play rhymically, perfectly a Metallica song or a Stones/Faces song, I’m picking Metallica. Was watching a vid of an AC/DC tribute where someone in the comments said most of the band also did a VH tribute. I was left thinking why is the guy who can play Ed’s parts still not playing Malcolm’s part on A long way to The Top correctly….lol

Eddies early stuff always told a story .

Check this piece out , starting at the solo .

I need a few listens to digest it well, but I like that one definitely on initial listen. I’m not sure though yet if I’m convinced yet by the end of it, but I’m being nitpicky maybe. I admit very different than the other leads by him I’m familiar with

Eddies early stuff always told a story .

Check this piece out , starting at the solo .

Or the outro to 'One Foot Out the Door' - one of Ed's best solos ever.

here....

Metallica would probably have been an even greater band if their lead guitarist had even the slightest melodic or compositional skill to add to that synergy.
After the Black album, I agree. Some great solo’s could have helped salvage the shit on Load etc. Black Album I don’t like because of songs, the solo’s aren’t bad. The 80’s stuff was great and I wouldn’t change a note. Hell, it’s why we still talk and argue about them in 2023. You don’t see any 10-20 page threads about Raven or Saxon..lol (luv ya Saxon 😉)

If someone was putting a gun to me head and said you have 2 minutes to play rhymically, perfectly a Metallica song or a Stones/Faces song, I’m picking Metallica.

I would too; a lot of Faces tunes have riffs that are damn near never played the same way twice. Miss Judy's Farm is a good example of this; trying to play that song note-for-note would be a hell of a task

I need a few listens to digest it well, but I like that one definitely on initial listen. I’m not sure though yet if I’m convinced yet by the end of it, but I’m being nitpicky maybe. I admit very different than the other leads by him I’m familiar with

You have revealed everything I need to know about you my friend and now I understand why you feel the way you do . I had a feeling this was the case but I had to throw something at you to confirm my thinking .

You have admitted you're a younger guy than most on here so that's important to know . I now clearly understand why you view EVH as you do .

Many younger generation folks simply do not get the whole EVH thing and that's why they sometimes say things that so many others find insane .

I just gave you a sample of a solo from a song on one of VH greatest albums and you said "I'm not sure, I need to listen to it more" . That comment right there tells me you have very very little experience and listening time with the material that changed the world of rock guitar forever.

How on earth can you comment about EVH not being all that when you aren't even familiar with some of his best work ?

You're entitled to your opinion but it's an opinion based on extremely limited knowledge .

You have revealed everything I need to know about you my friend and now I understand why you feel the way you do . I had a feeling this was the case but I had to throw something at you to confirm my thinking .

You have admitted you're a younger guy than most on here so that's important to know . I now clearly understand why you view EVH as you do .

Many younger generation folks simply do not get the whole EVH thing and that's why they sometimes say things that so many others find insane .

I just gave you a sample of a solo from a song on one of VH greatest albums and you said "I'm not sure, I need to listen to it more" . That comment right there tells me you have very very little experience and listening time with the material that changed the world of rock guitar forever.

How on earth can you comment about EVH not being all that when you aren't even familiar with some of his best work ?

You're entitled to your opinion but it's an opinion based on extremely limited knowledge .
Well agree to disagree then. Me saying I need to listen more is the case with almost anything I’m hearing for the first time. Most of my favorite pieces of music I didn’t care for the first few times I listened to them and then they grew on me/clicked over time. We all have our own ways of understanding music. I don’t typically have yet strong opinions on music I’m hearing for the first time. My strong opinions are on songs I’ve heard many many times

My opinion is admittedly on his more famous songs that I happened to be exposed to. Most of them didn’t do much for me, so I didn’t look further. Not saying I’m not missing out on examples like you showed, but just how it was for me. I’m not firmly attached to all my opinions I may have. I have some flexibility in that way

After the Black album, I agree. Some great solo’s could have helped salvage the shit on Load etc. Black Album I don’t like because of songs, the solo’s aren’t bad. The 80’s stuff was great and I wouldn’t change a note. Hell, it’s why we still talk and argue about them in 2023. You don’t see any 10-20 page threads about Raven or Saxon..lol (luv ya Saxon 😉)

It's not raven or saxon's fault people have terrible, basic bitch taste in music 😂

But Paul Quinn would have written way WAY cooler shit than Kirk hammett ever wrote

I enjoyed that interview very much. Watched it in a few parts over the course of last week. I admire Kirk and his career, I see nothing to critique, just admire.

The guy's resume speaks for itself and is one of the biggest in the entire buisness, yet people who the rest of the world have never heard of btw, sit there and throw jabs at him.🤣.

Well agree to disagree then. Me saying I need to listen more is the case with almost anything I’m hearing for the first time. Most of my favorite pieces of music I didn’t care for the first few times I listened to them and then they grew on me/clicked over time. We all have our own ways of understanding music. I don’t typically have strong opinions on music I’m hearing for the first time. My strong opinions are on songs I’ve heard many many times

My opinion is admittedly on his more famous songs that I happened to be exposed to. Most of them didn’t do much for me, so I didn’t look further. Not saying I’m not missing out on examples like you showed, but just how it was for me
No need to explain I understand and I have no doubt you're being honest .

If I had only heard things from a band that were played on mainstream radio and only heard something for the first time I think I would feel the exact same way as you .

Nobody is going to be able to tell anything about EVH if they have such little exposure and hear only mainstream songs like Jump and Panama.

It's not raven or saxon's fault people have terrible, basic bitch taste in music 😂

But Paul Quinn would have written way WAY cooler shit than Kirk hammett ever wrote
Paul Quinn is a criminally underrated guitarist. Easily my favorite lead player of all NWOBHM. I would actually put him in my top 5 of all time for lead playing (for my taste)

Paul Quinn is a criminally underrated guitarist. Easily my favorite lead player of all NWOBHM. I would actually put him in my top 5 of all time for lead playing (for my taste)
As far as NWOBHM I like Brian Tatler and especially Steve Ramsey better, but Paul is criminally underated and right there it's true

Saxon's later period Renaissance with lionheart etc is so fucking rad

His leads always have such rhythmic phrasing and are "vocal" in a sense

This is a serious question - what is on Kirk's resume besides being in Exodus before anyone cared about them and Metallica?

Bud... How is that a serious question?

"What's on your resume besides being the lead guitar player in the biggest metal band of all time?"

His riffs are better than Kirk's so he def needs to do something then :yes:

ha, you guys are all so kind ❤️

This thread would make a lot more sense IF Hammett was labeled and viewed as some type of guitar God but correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think he was ever viewed that way.

He's just one of the guitar players in a popular band not some guitar extraordinaire.

he totally was in the late 80s/90s, he had to win more "best guitarist" polls in all the magazines than anyone back then. bob rock calls him "mr guitar player of the year" in that one famous part in the documentary when hes cussing kirk out.

Bud... How is that a serious question?

"What's on your resume besides being the lead guitar player in the biggest metal band of all time?"

Idk when I hear "biggest resume" I automatically think tons of different sources of experience.

I'm also mildly retarded though.

Idk when I hear "biggest resume" I automatically think tons of different sources of experience.

I'm also mildly retarded though.

I don’t think James would allow him to do anything else, he couldn’t handle newsted having a side project

I don’t think James would allow him to do anything else, he couldn’t handle newsted having a side project
That, and as mentioned, Lars had a heavy hand in Kirk's solos.

But would Kirk have been as big if he was never in Metallica? Doubtful.

Back