You know?
Standard thing
You know?
You know?
You know?
Standard thing
I'll go through the modes
(inaudible)"

Never been a fan of Kirk's playing. But he seems genuinely grateful in his place. I give him props for that. I'm still a fan of Metallica nevertheless. The sum is definitely greater than the parts...
For sure :yes:

I’m watching the Gibson Icon Kirk Hammett episode, he really does seem like a nice guy but awkward. I can’t hate on him anymore. Not a fan of his playing but what a nice guy.

At least he's grateful that he lucked into being in the biggest band in the universe

Unlike most of you guys, I think his leads started sounding like shit on master of puppets - kill em all especially, the pentatonics sound so much cleaner than they would for the rest of his career, its hard to believe it was actually him playing.

RTL has some excellent solos too, but there is definitely some "filler" sections

I honestly think his playing has literally sounded worse every successive year for his entire career.

The fact that Kirk hammett is more famous than Jon Drenning, Kai Hansen, Andre Olbrich, Manni Schmidt, or Tommy T Baron, or any number of vastly superior and original lead players or that era is bordering on criminal to me

I think *most* of the defenses of him are by bad players who aren't technically skilled enough to really understand how weak he is - both compositionally, and technically. Metallica is the biggest band, so he MUST be a good guitarist! How many albums have YOU sold? Peter criss is an amazing drummer! How many albums have YOU SOLD?

I'm amazed that after 40 years of Metallica people are still just finding out that Kirk is a really nice, socially awkward, spaced out geek. I thought that this was understood at this point lol

At least he's grateful that he lucked into being in the biggest band in the universe

Unlike most of you guys, I think his leads started sounding like shit on master of puppets - kill em all especially, the pentatonics sound so much cleaner than they would for the rest of his career, its hard to believe it was actually him playing.

RTL has some excellent solos too, but there is definitely some "filler" sections

I honestly think his playing has literally sounded worse every successive year for his entire career.

The fact that Kirk hammett is more famous than Jon Drenning, Kai Hansen, Andre Olbrich, Manni Schmidt, or Tommy T Baron, or any number of vastly superior and original lead players or that era is bordering on criminal to me

I think *most* of the defenses of him are by bad players who aren't technically skilled enough to really understand how weak he is - both compositionally, and technically. Metallica is the biggest band, so he MUST be a good guitarist! How many albums have YOU sold? Peter criss is an amazing drummer! How many albums have YOU SOLD?
It’s never been about how technically proficient someone is at an instrument or how well a person can or cannot play. The goal of music is to emotionally move people in some way.

Kirk is more famous than the other guitarists you listed because Metallica as a band has written a lot of great songs that speak to people on some level.

Nirvana riff off is happening

Oh my...

"I'll go through the modes you know?
OK
You know?
You know?
Standard thing
You know?
You know?
You know?
Standard thing
I'll go through the modes
(inaudible)"

For sure :yes:
Not a fan of his playing but it gave me a new appreciation for KH the person. maybe i’ll run into him surfing. he seemed nervous having to demo his warm up routine to Beato who was probably trying not to giggle at those “jazz switches” and modes.

i’d personally like to see Greenie go to someone like EJ or Landau to have them extract the tone from it better. Kirk could lend it out, because through the boogie he sounded unwell.

I'm amazed that after 40 years of Metallica people are still just finding out that Kirk is a really nice, socially awkward, spaced out geek. I thought that this was understood at this point lol
I’ve never paid attention, I’m not a big Metallica fan (even less of a Kirk fan).

Every criticism of Kirk in this thread may be legit. And yet even with all that said, I'd still rather crank some Metallica, old or new, rather than endure Vai wanking around on a chromatic scale.
Old Metallica . Never been a Vai fan even though I know he's a tremendous guitarist . Not a Satch fan either but I like him more than Vai . Those types of players have never done anything for me .

I think all we can do is go back to the old Circus and Hit Parader listener polls to actually find out how good KH really is?
Where did he rank each year?
I think I remember Lars being the best drummer a few times, lol...

I watched this last night up until the point where he first grabs the guitar and says "hetfield came up with this riff that's never been done before; no one has ever did pulloffs on a gallop" and then proceeds to butcher it :poop:

Dude is living in an alternate reality

I watched this last night up until the point where he first grabs the guitar and says "hetfield came up with this riff that's never been done before; no one has ever did pulloffs on a gallop" and then proceeds to butcher it :poop:

Dude is living in an alternate reality

I like how he basically said him and hetfield play the same way lol

It’s never been about how technically proficient someone is at an instrument or how well a person can or cannot play. The goal of music is to emotionally move people in some way.

Kirk is more famous than the other guitarists you listed because Metallica as a band has written a lot of great songs that speak to people on some level.

That point makes sense if we are talking about Metallica as a band but we aren't

We are talking about Kirk hammett the guitarist not how much you like Metallica

I sense a lot of bitterness.

I think the "whole is greater than sum of the parts" statement as was made is huge for Metallica. Guitar forums are a tiny percentage of listeners. We will surely all have opinions on who is the best, but even if we all agreed, great, there is 47 people responding to some poll about who is the best guitar player/who sucks/whatever.

It has been my observation that most of the guitar players who are playing the music that is appreciated the most widely, aren't the most skilled, but are rather almost entry-level in their genre. As musicians progress they often do complicated for the sake of complicated and alienate the average listener.

he got me scared talking about losing his phone with albums of riffs on it, i must have literally hundreds of riffs in mine and now im thinking maybe i should go through and send them somewhere for backup lol

he got me scared talking about losing his phone with albums of riffs on it, i must have literally hundreds of riffs in mine and now im thinking maybe i should go through and send them somewhere for backup lol
iPhones have automated back ups :dunno:
I have an Android so I use MS OneDrive :dunno:
You're young. I figured you knew these things :dunno:

Also, yes guitar forums may be a small percentage of Metallica listeners but the flip side is that Metallica is a guitar driven band with guitar driven music and as such we talk about them a lot.

Keith Richards did a documentary on Netflix lately that I thought was pretty good. I watched while on a flight to Florida. I was not expecting much. I mean I like the guy OK and I like the Rolling Stones but I don't listen to him/them proactively if you know what I mean. But he went into pretty good detail about how he is constantly striving to be better and to find blues licks that will work for him and actively seeking out new stuff. The dude is 70 something and they are still touring. Granted, it may not be as technical as Metallica but the story resonated.

Back