Hammett On Beato

• Thread starter Thread starter RevDrucifer
  • Start date Start date
I was getting nervous watching him hold Greeny, at one point the headstock was a few inches from the ground!

Overall it was a cool interview, I give him props for taking that much time to chat with Rick and talk shop. He lost me a few times and started rambling but he’s still very passionate which was awesome to see and the fractal part was insightful. I will say the talk of improving solos was lame - people want to hear those note for note and we all know that’s where a lot of the Kirk bashing comes from.

He still does his old solos note for note, and rather well these days and for the past several years. It’s all the new shit he’s improvising on and I’m definitely a much bigger fan of him working solos out before hand.

I totally get his points about improvising and agree with most of them, but a metal band with very structured songs isn’t generally the place to start improvising solos. He talks in that interview about them making everything build in the song but the dude hasn’t built anything within a solo for quite some time now.

And funnily enough, my favorite Hammett solo is most certainly improvised (Outlaw Torn) but I don’t want to hear him do it on everything. That worked in that solo because the open space it was in and he still managed to build up to something in it.

And hell, Gilmour improvises all his solos too, “Comfortably Numb” is about 3 improvised solos that are just mixed together. Improvise all ya want, just make it have a point if you’re gonna leave it on a recorded song.

Steve Vai wrote an entire song on one hand when his picking shoulder had surgery. It's unfair to put Kirk in the same sentence as Vai when Kirk can't even make it through a single sentence let alone riff without stuttering. Kirk did some cool stuff back in the day, but is just a big let down nowadays.

And what’s crazy is Steve and s holding back .

If only we could maintain that 18 year old mindset and not degrade like human beings do as we age, I'm talking about how the mind changes much more so than the physical aspects of aging .

Did he say Greenie has had three headstock breaks? I was half expecting Kirk to drop it during the interview. That guitar should never be on a guitar stand.

Did he say Greenie has had three headstock breaks? I was half expecting Kirk to drop it during the interview. That guitar should never be on a guitar stand.
but he also paid 1000000 for it..
probably cash lol
i like his view on owning it.

i made it about 2/3 of the way through and couldnt hear about greenie anymore, did i miss anything cool after that?

I guess I'm in the minority here. I'm about 75% the way through this interview and Kirk comes of as a really nice, down to earth and even slightly goofy character. I've had a few very limited interactions with him in the past and he presented exactly the same in person when not being recorded. Generally speaking he seems very likable.

I guess I'm in the minority here. I'm about 75% the way through this interview and Kirk comes of as a really nice, down to earth and even slightly goofy character. I've had a few very limited interactions with him in the past and he presented exactly the same in person when not being recorded. Generally speaking he seems very likable.
….aaaand this is my conundrum, Kirk really does seem like a REALLY nice guy, but I HATE everything he’s ever done. Just atonal shit all the way down the line. I know I’m in the minority, but I’d rather hear Metallica without him. They should have kept Mustaine.

….aaaand this is my conundrum, Kirk really does seem like a REALLY nice guy, but I HATE everything he’s ever done. Just atonal shit all the way down the line. I know I’m in the minority, but I’d rather hear Metallica without him. They should have kept Mustaine.
Nothing against Dave, but absolutely could not work. Two Type A, alpha personalities in one band is an assured implosion. two captains on a small boat will never make it to port.

I like his personality. I just listened to the solos on justice and I miss it

I like his personality. I just listened to the solos on justice and I miss it
His Justice leads were very well composed and had this odd yet amazing stylistic blend to them; gutsy, earthy and bluesy in certain spots and very progressive and ultra-modern sounding with use of exotic scales in others...often within the same lead section. Even the notes that he would bend out of tune seemed to somehow fit the frantic nature of the songs on that record. And that bone dry, in your face lead tone had this aggressive ripping feel to it like the speakers were going to tear at the cone. Unique and really inspiring if you ask me.

His Justice leads were very well composed and had this odd yet amazing stylistic blend to them; gutsy, earthy and bluesy in certain spots and very progressive and ultra-modern sounding with use of exotic scales in others...often withing the same lead section. Even the notes that he would bend out of tune seemed to somehow fit the frantic nature of the songs on that record. And that bone dry, in your face lead tone had this aggressive ripping feel to it like the speakers were going to tear at the cone. Unique and really inspiring if you ask me.
I love that era . I honestly I’m ok with everything Metallica did until st anger

Kirk's solos ruled on AJFA, MoP, and Black Album. He was a unique player but his solos were a perfect fit for the music. It seems like the quality of his writing and solos fell off a cliff after that but in that mid 80's to mid 90's period he did some really inspiring work.

The thing that gets me about both Kirk and James is that they always talk about themselves and Metallica as if it's still some scrappy startup garage band and that they still "just can't believe" they've sold X number of tickets on the latest tour or were able to play with bands Y and Z or whatever, when it's really no secret that they're far and away the biggest metal band of all time, if not one of the biggest bands of all time period. It's almost annoying at times, like if they acknowledged that reality, then they could get into some really cool topics in interviews, like for example what it's been like to get to where they are and how it feels to be in that unique position, stuff like that. Sure it's great to stay humble and all but to still talk in present tense about being concerned about "making it" or staying relevant or whatever for them is kind of a stretch.

Also, biiiig negative points for not knowing how many bands of EQ the Mark series amps have. Are you kidding me. Then again maybe I should go easy on him because after all he's only used those things as his primary tone generating tool almost exclusively for the past forty fucking years, so maybe he just hasn't had the time to bother casually glancing at arguably one of the single most important pieces of equipment most responsible for his entire livelihood.

Last edited:
I came here after watching because I knew there'd be a thread about it. :ROFLMAO: Just have to say:

*I can't fking believe he damaged Greenie already.
*Is he drinking or drugging these days? He seems borderline drunk here.
*Ditto to the others here who caught the rookie confusion on the 5band EQ. Un-F'ing-believeable.

I've always disliked his playing but found him to be so nice & likeable. That shall continue...

I came here after watching because I knew there'd be a thread about it. :ROFLMAO: Just have to say:

*I can't fking believe he damaged Greenie already.
*Is he drinking or drugging these days? He seems borderline drunk here.
*Ditto to the others here who caught the rookie confusion on the 5band EQ. Un-F'ing-believeable.

I've always disliked his playing but found him to be so nice & likeable. That shall continue...
Believe it or not...Kirk has been completely sober continuously for about 9 years, Those odd, semi-slurred, wonky speech patterns are completely natural for him.

I thought it was a pretty good interview. He is a good player that seems to really like his wah pedals. That part cracked me up. Never was big into Metallica, only have a couple albums. I am sure he can play way more than what he does in Metallica.

The thing that gets me about both Kirk and James is that they always talk about themselves and Metallica as if it's still some scrappy startup garage band and that they still "just can't believe" they've sold X number of tickets on the latest tour or were able to play with bands Y and Z or whatever, when it's really no secret that they're far and away the biggest metal band of all time, if not one of the biggest bands of all time period. It's almost annoying at times, like if they acknowledged that reality, then they could get into some really cool topics in interviews, like for example what it's been like to get to where they are and how it feels to be in that unique position, stuff like that. Sure it's great to stay humble and all but to still talk in present tense about being concerned about "making it" or staying relevant or whatever for them is kind of a stretch.

Hahaha that was all pretty much the underlying topic of Some Kind Of Monster and everyone called them pussies for it. :LOL:

Hetfield has spoken about that plenty, but Lars and Kirk have talked about it throughout the years as well.

Back