Harley-Davidson goes woke

• Thread starter Thread starter rsm
  • Start date Start date
I never really got into riding with more than two or thee guys. Guys I knew the way they rode already. The one time I witnessed an accident firstrhand was because I was on a beach picking up my check and somehow got stuck in a huge toy run with people I didn't know Bikes to me are like guitars and amps. There is a bunch of junk I don't like that people use but like guitars and amps it's a way people can express and individualize things to their own tastes. Best not to spite a fella over that, it's not really necessary. But if someone wants to debate about it then if your Hog has a front brake it already kinda looks like crap to me, just saying.
All my years of riding, I like a front brake.
Not into ABS, but the extra stopping power is fantastic.

Ill go as far as saying how much I like a dual caliper set up on the front.

I will say though, the red GS in my pic, the engine brakes so heavy, its like driving a big truck. Jake/retarder.
I rarely use the brakes and downshifting is all that is needed...

Yeah I can always tell a HD coming down the road, and mainly from the stereo.
So many people ride by just to hang out at HD. so fucking corny!

I gave up on the group rides, fundraisers and poker runs. Too many novices/weekend warrior types to contend with.
No safety gear, gloves or jacket.
I see a lot of t-shirts, shorts and flip flops.

Hate to say it, but its not "if" you go down, its "when"...

Here’s my old ‘92 FLSTF.
Bad pic, iPhones weren’t invented yet.
Beauty!
I ride a Softtail myself:
CCBA1CFC-91EA-49F0-8BA4-E6816CF5DC2E.jpeg

Bought it new in ‘22, mostly for the 114CI but wanted a new one I could break in myself and avoid someone else’s problems.
Hah! Someone mentioned HD quality (or lack thereof); before it had 1,000 miles I almost lost the taillight, hanging on with one screw. Almost lost the front light bar when one of those screws broke…..they used to be attached to the forks and the yoke with four 3/8 bolts, now mounted only to the forks with two 1/4” bolts and one broke. Yeah, “downsizing”…a damn shame, HD used to be the best and yeah, a lot of them are being traded for Indians, no big mystery there.

Beauty!
I ride a Softtail myself:
View attachment 330225
Bought it new in ‘22, mostly for the 114CI but wanted a new one I could break in myself and avoid someone else’s problems.
Hah! Someone mentioned HD quality (or lack thereof); before it had 1,000 miles I almost lost the taillight, hanging on with one screw. Almost lost the front light bar when one of those screws broke…..they used to be attached to the forks and the yoke with four 3/8 bolts, now mounted only to the forks with two 1/4” bolts and one broke. Yeah, “downsizing”…a damn shame, HD used to be the best and yeah, a lot of them are being traded for Indians, no big mystery there.
Funny how they are "softtails" and yet mine was the stiffest, most unforgiving machine I ever rode.

With the way the roads are driven today, I'm pretty happy to be out of the "straight line" bikes, the non-maneuvers.

I jumped on my old bosses Heritage Classic a couple summers ago, cruising right along and headed for a curve.
Thinking no problem until I got into it and realizing I had forgotten how to approach curves on one.

All my years of riding, I like a front brake.
Not into ABS, but the extra stopping power is fantastic.

Ill go as far as saying how much I like a dual caliper set up on the front.

I will say though, the red GS in my pic, the engine brakes so heavy, its like driving a big truck. Jake/retarder.
I rarely use the brakes and downshifting is all that is needed...
I went from an Electra glide to a Softtail and 2 front calipers to one, drastic difference in stopping power. Drastic.

Funny how they are "softtails" and yet mine was the stiffest, most unforgiving machine I ever rode.

With the way the roads are driven today, I'm pretty happy to be out of the "straight line" bikes, the non-maneuvers.

I jumped on my old bosses Heritage Classic a couple summers ago, cruising right along and headed for a curve.
Thinking no problem until I got into it and realizing I had forgotten how to approach curves on one.
My neighbor has a heritage and a standard and the heritage is way too soft for my tastes.

If you're going to go Harley; nothing later than a shovelhead, hardtail, and kickstart only.

or the modern build it yourself equivalent: S&S engine and transmission, open, chain, primary, and chain final drive (extra master links), kick start, and Santee or Paughco frame.

IMO

not an exact match, but close to what I'd want if I was getting a new bike. just need a boulevard cruiser around here

yhlJuy0F8ES_cab65yM-ugb.jpg

Motorcycle culture used to be people who live on their bikes, like roaming gypsies, like in the movie Easy Rider.

But, the upper middle class and wealthy has turned it into something lame.

I started riding when I was 13 on dirt bikes, I definitely caught bike fever.I would ride my enduro almost everyday. To work, after work, even at night.

Right around that time my boss buys a HD, all the leathers and started blathering about riding with something called a "Road Captain".

Last edited:
Reactions: rsm
My first job out of college, my first paycheck, I went to the Harley dealer and purchased my first bike. It was only a new 883 shortster, but I learned on it, and was able to trade it in at the price I purchased it a few months later, and got a late 70s/early 80s AMF Low Rider, shovelhead with blacked-out motor similar to this:

1981 Harley-Davidson® SHOVELHEAD LOWRIDER FXS 1340 ...

then purchased my last Harley, a new 1990 softail custom in blood red with scarlet accents, similar to this:

1990 Softail Custom - Harley Davidson Forums

“H-D, all the noise without the pesky acceleration”.

A joke that went around during the AMF days.

Reactions: rsm
I try to hang on to the old days but yeah, the “cult” has changed drastically. A perfect example:
At work and looking out the window at the MC parking area when 3 execs walked up to the bikes, started down-dressing, put on leathers and rode off, true rebels.
And that’s who HD caters to these days, and why more riders are trading in their Harleys at Indian dealerships.
Indians are nice bikes but they don't have the same amount of options in terms of accessories/upgrades - not saying there are no options at all... In Australia at least they don't have the same sized dealer network as HD. None of that means it's a deal breaker - it's just a little more convenient to have a HD over Indian.

I also have a BMW S1000R - it is quicker and more capable, has a far higher power to weight ratio, but it's also more sterile and less engaging. It's good to have both types of bike. The HD Sport Glide has Stage 2 and makes about 100hp at the rear wheel - nominally 121hp at the crank weighs about 320kg. The BMW has 165hp and weighs about 197kg wet. The I never feel like I wish I was on one bike or the other - they are both great fun and totally different.

1723064597019.png

Last edited:
Indians are nice bikes but they don't have the same amount of options in terms of accessories/upgrades - not saying there are no options at all..
Thumbpicker I like your bikes man. This ^ is pretty much why I have always wanted a Harley. Bolt on customization and lots of it. Currently putting a Sportster 883 together @rsm . Someone gave me it. in pieces. I agree with you on the shovelhead or just going S&S and custom frame but you need some tools to do it....where is @Smash he's got a really nice HD set up just like a bike should be.

Indians are nice bikes but they don't have the same amount of options in terms of accessories/upgrades - not saying there are no options at all... In Australia at least they don't have the same sized dealer network as HD. None of that means it's a deal breaker - it's just a little more convenient to have a HD over Indian.

I also have a BMW S1000R - it is quicker and more capable, has a far higher power to weight ratio, but it's also more sterile and less engaging. It's good to have both types of bike. The HD Sport Glide has Stage 2 and makes about 100hp at the rear wheel - nominally 121hp at the crank weighs about 320kg. The BMW has 165hp and weighs about 197kg wet. The I never feel like I wish I was on one bike or the other - they are both great fun and totally different.

View attachment 330270
HD had a tremendous head start on Indian but they’re catching up. A negative for me is Indian dealerships (and repair work) are still few and far between. I looked at an Indian Chieftain classic in all black, very retro and I should have got it.
Dig your bikes.

btw, it would be beyond cool to see an Indian dealership open up across the street from Harley.

I love all bikes. I had a klx300 before this bike. Fucking blast jumping the curb and going exploring any time i want. But i love the harley. Almost got a kawasaki, indian, yamaha, or triumph. Too hard to pick one. But they are all fun. I dont really care what anyone rides, but i do hate the loud stereos on bikes. That one is weird.

Really wanted to build something like this
1000001557.png

Back