Is Randall Smith no longer with Mesa?

• Thread starter Thread starter IIBornotIIB
  • Start date Start date
He's approaching 79 years old. He cashed out (well deserved) his life's work and got a nice lump sum. Was probably contractually obligated to transition his team over to Gibson, then move on quietly. This is a traditional path in many industries when an acquisition of this type occurs. The terms, conditions and timing of his exit was likely pre-negotiated as part of the M&A package. They probably agreed not to do a largely publicized announcement of his departure on the account that it would raise questions and concerns regarding quality control and future designs (particularly considering Gibson's challenged history in these areas). Pretty simple, the end of an era for sure.

Are we sure he was “fired” in the traditional way where two people have some falling out or unresolvable disagreement and one gets fired, or is it that his consulting term (agreed to at the acquisition) has officially ended as it was always going to have ended and he’s simply moving on now?

I need to reach out to someone who knows a guy who works there....maybe we can get some confirmation.

He said for years that the 2c can't be accurately replicated because some of the parts aren't made anymore.
But then you read the manual of a MV and it's like yeah this is it.. Well, WTF?

Will Gibson will try to cash in on this hype and do a reissue?

Likely because RS leaving wasn't on good terms with Gibson.
I sold all my Boogies after Mesa sold. Seen it a mile away.
If anyone actually thinks Gibson is capable of producing & servicing amplifires, buckle up.
I would go a step further and bet Gibson is not or did not live up to the terms of the sale hence Smith aint gonna put his name on Gibsons bullshit.
Bro rage quit Mesa but plays Gibsons.
Sounds right 😂

Perhaps Gibson saw signs of cognitive decline after Randall Smith kept babbling on about the imaginary Mark 6 amp.

"Randall, hey, Mark Agnesi here. Look, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but we are gonna have to let you go. You aren't really fitting into our lifestyle brand and nobody ever used a 2c+ on any albums of note. Anyway, enjoy your retirement chief"

Hahaha NAILED IT!

He said for years that the 2c can't be accurately replicated because some of the parts aren't made anymore.
But then you read the manual of a MV and it's like yeah this is it.. Well, WTF?

Will Gibson will try to cash in on this hype and do a reissue?

It’s not a question, it’s being reissued. Saw it with my own eyes, looks exactly like the original.

On that note, is anyone really surprised Gibson is gonna try and make some cash on the hype of that amp regardless if it sounds like the OG or not? I’m sure as hell not.

It’s not a question, it’s being reissued. Saw it with my own eyes, looks exactly like the original.

On that note, is anyone really surprised Gibson is gonna try and make some cash on the hype of that amp regardless if it sounds like the OG or not? I’m sure as hell not.
Where did you see it? Post some links if you have them..

Perhaps Gibson saw signs of cognitive decline after Randall Smith kept babbling on about the imaginary Mark 6 amp.
The one and only Mark VI:
IMG_1431.jpeg

Randall just started going on about Hannibal Lecter for some reason and it really freaked out Agnesi. Gibson then decided to activate the emergency, orange clause in the contract.

Last edited:
A direct IIC+ reissue doesn't sound appetizing to me if they make it 100% accurate to the original design. That's why I like the JP2C so much more, it's a IIC+ reissue that's new and improved. The things that always drove me nuts on my IIC+ amps were;
  • Reverb bleed even when reverb was turned off. I had to keep my Reverb equipped units at 0 even when off.
  • It's really just a 1 channel amp, clean isn't really usable if you dial in for high gain.
  • 1 EQ is super limiting after experiencing the JP2C.
  • Any non EQ IIC+ is hot garbage.
  • Too much variance between similar models. Multiple S's sound different from eachother. Multiple H's sound different from eachother, etc.. Even with the same tubes loaded between them.
  • Volume is unusable past 2-3. I cannot overstate how loud these amps get so fast and it's damaging.
  • Two footswitches to control channel switching, eq and reverb? Really Mesa? I produced a bunch of footswitches for people that consolidated it to one footswitch, but man what a pain in the buns.
I am looking forward to it completely tanking these outrageous prices on IIC+'s though. Thank you for coming to my RT IIC+ Ted Talk.

"Any non EQ IIC+ is hot garbage."

The MV Manual stated they cloned their best NON EQ for the MV.. It sounds weak compared to the MV's MIV mode.. Not really usable.. Total fail..

If they're making a reissue, then it can't really be a RI if it's not exactly like the original with all' it's shortcomings. Hence the Mark III and Mark IV..

Hype I say!

The JP2C was 'supposed' to be a legit copy of Petrucci's fav HRG C+. Many here, Steve K and a few others, that at the time owned real C+ bought the JP to compare. Very quickly they were returned. I eventually travelled to St Paul and played one. They also had a MKIV in the store; I felt the IV did a better C+ impression than the JP.
That's not to say the JP isn't a great amp in it's own right, it is...and has some great features for guys that play out.
But a C+ it ain't.

Back