Is Randall Smith no longer with Mesa?

• Thread starter Thread starter IIBornotIIB
  • Start date Start date
Not announcing his „retirement“ officially leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Kinda like Gibson is trying to sweep this under the rug.

They should have kept him as long as he wanted to stay, even if his contract ended. If he got fired, it‘s even worse.
Bad signal to the public.

I honestly see no point in reissuing the IIC+. I have zero confidence it's going to sound exactly like the originals and it's nowhere near as versatile as Mesa's current amps.

Give me a Mark VII any day.

Then again there might just be enough "OH MAN THE METALLICA AMP!!!" guys who will buy it to make it worth the R&D investment.

At the very least, maybe a reissue might bring real IIC+ prices down a peg or two.

They can use these as templates for the Murphy Lab version.
IMG_7201.jpeg
IMG_7202.jpeg

yeah, is it all just rumors or is there an official source yet?

This is not a rumor at all, I don’t know how else to say it, I’ve seen the amp with my own eyes lol. Like, on a cab, next to the chrome chassis rev G model that’s coming out as well. They exist and it’s for sure a thing, this is not speculation or rumor.

For the Murphy Labs the could just have amp techs who've worked on Mesa's take out their frustrations on production batches. Best part is they'd do it for free, so higher profit margins.

If the JP2+ is supposed to be a copy of Petrucci’s actual amp, what could they claim makes this new iteration closer?
IMO the push/pull knobs and the switches.

I thought it was pretty clear cut and dry he retired or is that not the case?
I thought he designed some nice combos for Gibson but I haven't heard shit about them, but I love vintage Gibson combos

I thought it was pretty clear cut and dry he retired or is that not the case?

I heard he was staying on as a consultant for a while to help with the transition and general expertise stuff, but again, that’s just from the rumor mill.

If he has left recently, it could be because his tenure as a consultant has simply expired.

Ultimately it could be anything… or nothing. He might not have left at all. We haven’t heard anything for sure about RS leaving from any official source.

Back