It’s turning into a buyers market

• Thread starter Thread starter LP Freak
  • Start date Start date
I hope you get to do it. I will be in the Caribbean next november. Booked a cruise last April for the wrong year (wife was pissed). It was a really good price. Now i know why
nice; my retirement dream is to get an oceangoing sailboat I can singlehand, and spend part of my time each year sailing the Caribbean.

Here's an example of a sailboat I want, this is a Fountaine-Pajot Lavezzi 40 (40' cat) :) which is about the upper limit for singlehanding, and real stretch for my current sailing ability. But I really don't want to get a boat I'll outgrow vs getting a boat on my upper limit!
FP-Lavezzi40.jpg

Last edited:
nice; my retirement dream is to get an oceangoing sailboat I can singlehand, and spend part of my time each year sailing the Caribbean.

Here's an example of a sailboat I want, this is a Fountaine-Pajot Lavezzi 40 (40' cat) :) which is about the upper limit for singlehanding, and real stretch for my current sailing ability. But I really don't want to get a boat I'll outgrow vs getting a boat on my upper limit!
View attachment 269100
Yeah. Well. That is a good dream. If it becomes a reality, and you need a fishing partner, let me know

Reactions: rsm
Yeah. Well. That is a good dream. If it becomes a reality, and you need a fishing partner, let me know
Gotta dream big; that's my ultimate sailboat; the reality is likely to be in the 28' - 35' range, at a much lower cost. I don't plan to sail across an ocean, but the boats that are designed to do it are usually superior in all aspects vs coastal cruisers.

??
What recession? There is none. People keep saying this and that, yet no recession. They've been saying it for 2 years. Unemployment is super low, jobs out there for everyone...We just need the Covidflation to recede.

Oh, so you're gonna bring up FACTS now? How dare you?!

I dont know...
A few months back I got a mint Eventide eclipse on Reverb for just 850 Euros (around 1.000$ maybe less)...
There are great deals out there...if you are not looking for some collector brands such as Gibson and fender CS...

I don't ever recall a time where there weren't people fishing for people unaware of the going rate.

The big C19 craze is long gone and people are actually playing more in bands etc than sitting at home and GASing.
Then of course there`s black Friday and its extended days. Most people spend their money on the deals or were waiting for them the last weeks, so less used gear is sold.

I agree that it is becoming a buyers market but not completely there yet and one of the reasons is shown in this thread.

There are some that are convinced we either are in or will go into recession. And that inflation is crazy high. But there are others that think since there has been no recession and inflation has come way, way down that we have achieved the ‘soft landing’. I’m more in the latter camp but interest rates are still elevated so I’m not sure we are out of it yet.

Regarding gear, there was a spike in interest in music gear during Covid accompanied by supply chain shortages so prices went up. But now there is excess gear everywhere and some of that interest faded so prices will probably continue to come down.

Taking that loss is a hard pill to swallow so it takes time for those prices to come down.

Traditionally used anything is around 50% of retail. Typical bids are 30 to 40%.
This is all products...not just music gear.
The current market doesn't reflect this.

The States might have low unemployment numbers. But that doesn't show the percentage of people not working. By far this is the largest number of people not working currently.
Current inflation rates might be more stable. But the numbers have gone up so much in the last few years it is far from balanced. Prices compared with income.

Supply is still limited. In the industries I have worked in we are still having a difficult time getting products.

Employees come and go so fast I don't usually know their name. Staying at a job for stability is not what a lot of people are doing anymore.

The market is definitely changing. Most people perspective is still hesitant.

Last edited:
Meh, I'm lucky I don't have to sell anything; if it sells at my price or reasonable offer then great; if not then great. I'm in no hurry or in a hurry to lose money.

I have something listed for $3,500 on reverb; got an offer for $2500 and I didn't even respond. Dude sends me a message about how much he really wants it blah, blah blah and I didn't respond. It's not a common item, I purchased it new in the early '80s and it's an early model which is more desirable in the market historically (same model and year Sting and others used), and there aren't many from that year, few come up for sale.

for anything I sell with make an offer, I think a reasonable offer is up to 15% off my asking price.

:dunno:
You should have told him he couldn't afford a nice piece of gear like this.. He'd probably come back offering more than you wanted just to prove you wrong :ROFLMAO:

I knew a guy who sold BMWs that would do this all the time and out sold everyone. They'd come and want to look at a certain car. He'd say you can't afford that let's look at a lower model and then he'd end up selling a higher model then they came to look at just to prove to him they could afford it.

View attachment 269100
This family almost sold me on the life

Of course this hottie makes these video enjoyable too

Reactions: rsm
I was just thinking the buyers are finally pulling the trigger more after about a year of no activity.

I’m willing to sit on my stuff until I get my price or a sweet trade. Equipment doesn’t eat.

Fair enough. I’m willing to not buy used gear at inflated prices and instead just buy new. Rare and collectors stuff is a different game though.
Oh, are we talking about inflated prices? I’ve dealt with lowballers the past year but I’m willing to play the game. Sold some stuff last week though.

This family almost sold me on the life

Of course this hottie makes these video enjoyable too

I watch many of these channels; Lagoon is another great, popular brand of catamarans.

My problem with nearly all of the cat builders these days is they keep larger and larger boats that are more like luxury condos on the water. The living space has taken priority over the sailing. The largest new Fountaine-Pajot sailing cat is 80' long!

Why I like the older Fountaine-Pajot models, like the Lavezzi I posted above, is they were performance cruising cats - i.e. designed and built for sailing first, and living on them was more like camping in a small RV than living in a luxury condo. There are older performance models 40' down to 32' which are tough to find for many reasons, and one is because of their design for sailing.

Oh, are we talking about inflated prices? I’ve dealt with lowballers the past year but I’m willing to play the game. Sold some stuff last week though.
Curious, what do you consider low-ball? Peeps trying to sell a 1k new guitar for $975 mint should not consider a $700 offer low ball in my view.

What I've been seen lately is that is becoming really hard to sell the cheap gear, that got over inflated within the last three years by pure speculation. The more expensive, really hard to find and collectable pieces, are still going up, and still moving really fast.
Personal example... bought five Pete Cornish pedals for 10K a little over a year ago. They were a Super Chorus, Super Flanger, TES, NB3 Boost and a Mute/Buffer. It all came with two Cornish cables, a pedal board and a road case. Recently, either one of the Super Chorus, Super Flanger or the TES are selling alone for $4K to $5K. One in particular went for $6K!!!
Another perfect example... I had a MK-3 Purple stripe on the classifieds that I've lowered its price down to $1700.00, and still, no one bought it. At the same time, look at how many people ordered a brand new Bogner Uber Ultra, a Mesa MK-7 or a Wizard Hell Razor.
So, while the cheap but overinflated gear is not moving, the rare and expensive stuff is still flying out the door.

Back