Join me on a magical journey: Metro Plexi Superlead Build

• Thread starter Thread starter FourT6and2
  • Start date Start date
pfapin05":36gtehsd said:
Practice makes perfect, just take it from me... be glad you didnt use a drill to twist those leads! I did this on my 5E3 kit and it looked like utter shit! Good job for your first time!

Wish I could do it like this. But the Super Lead layout laaaaame.

Bias1.jpg

Email sent, mine has a dual output tranny and a MV mod, but you get the picture. Dave Friedman has since done a kitchen-sink mod with sat-fat-C45 options. Dave dosent like Sozo caps, so they are all gone
Anyway, take a look and tell me what you think ;)

JTyson":3ar0oosl said:
Email sent, mine has a dual output tranny and a MV mod, but you get the picture. Dave Friedman has since done a kitchen-sink mod with sat-fat-C45 options. Dave dosent like Sozo caps, so they are all gone
Anyway, take a look and tell me what you think ;)

Yeah, that build looks pretty clean. Filament runs look just like mine! :) Hope mine turns out like that.

FourT6and2":20yaogmk said:
pfapin05":20yaogmk said:
Practice makes perfect, just take it from me... be glad you didnt use a drill to twist those leads! I did this on my 5E3 kit and it looked like utter shit! Good job for your first time!

Wish I could do it like this. But the Super Lead layout laaaaame.

Bias1.jpg

The SLO chassis is the tightest piece work of amp assembly around.

Another small update:

Wired up the output transformer primaries.

bf10cf322d88b7377a9fd094dfbd2c34-d32bt8l.jpg

Drilled the impedance selector mounting holes, mounted the rear faceplate, wired up the output transformer secondaries and the output jacks.

bf82142b1f47e9a2bfca6429770a14e5-d32btf6.jpg

6190fab8987536b044ca49556de050ec-d32btgw.jpg

That's all until probably Sunday night or early next week.

Looking great! I hate twisting heater wires with a passion.

I built the same Metro plexi kit last year, it was a lot of fun. Your build looks very clean. One thing I would suggest is use shielded wire from from the input jack to V1.

I added the PPIMV and the zero loss FX loop, then did the cascaded gain.

I bought another chassis and parts to build another amp, trying my own design... That is this winters project.

Chuck

Seitz333":2uwzitup said:
I built the same Metro plexi kit last year, it was a lot of fun. Your build looks very clean. One thing I would suggest is use shielded wire from from the input jack to V1.

I added the PPIMV and the zero loss FX loop, then did the cascaded gain.

I bought another chassis and parts to build another amp, trying my own design... That is this winters project.

Chuck

Sounds cool, thanks for the suggestion. And do you have pics of your build or a thread somewhere?

Power section is done! (at least as the sockets go)! :) This part was actually kinda fun. Wasn't stressful like the filament wiring. I was able to sort of relax and enjoy getting everything super neat (hopefully).

67e12fd5e778f3dfa903a847849a69c2-d32dc2z.jpg

3520bf9823047e77e323df11c0892fdf-d32dcdf.jpg

b23751a654f8d392a1503a9d39078b2e-d32dchi.jpg

a7cff9a2d6de182ec4623b819636624d-d32dcld.jpg

Looks great. I've done three Metro heads now. My last was my 2203. I started on a Friday night and was playing it on Sunday night. Holy solder fumes! It turned out great and sounded killer. I since sent it to Friedman and it's now my #1 amp. :thumbsup:

Here's a few pics of it stock

IMG_1260_1.jpg

IMG_1262.jpg

IMG_1261.jpg

Lp Freak":2n4oczbb said:
Here's a few pics of it stock

IMG_1260_1.jpg

Do you have any noise issues with the OT primaries, secondaries and jumpers all bundled together like that? And not having twisted the OT secondaries going to the impedance switch? I just spent 45 min. unsoldering those connections, twisting them, and resoldering them because I was told it would prevent noise.

Not at all. Like I said this was my third build so I had a pretty good idea what to look for.:thumbsup:

Lots of progress today! Power switch, standby switch, power transformer, fuses, pilot light, filter caps, bias supply and all that other good stuff. This part was really fun. The instructions said this part would be crazy hard and intensive. But I found it MUCH easier than wiring the filaments. The way I chose to route the wires is slightly different than how it's usually done. I hope I don't have any noise issues. I've seen some of the runs from the switches to the fuses twisted like the heaters. But the instructions didn't say to do that. And my power transformer has a different layout than what people usually use, so I couldn't really twist them together. I guess we'll see what happens when I finally fire her up. :)

01599dbdcc6d9c9f4c724476eb7490a6-d32ffzj.jpg

5a7dff6c542b9b48255e408038914d4a-d32fg7s.jpg

Nice job man, it looks great.
Your getting close to launch :yes: :yes:

Back