Join me on a magical journey: Metro Plexi Superlead Build

• Thread starter Thread starter FourT6and2
  • Start date Start date
duesentrieb":1f7phe3u said:
Sure.
With the DPST and no IEC
or with DPDT and IEC?

DPST and no IEC.

Also, someone on the Metro board just posted this. Does it seem right?

file.php

duesentrieb":1vbpbiff said:
If black is L then it is correct.

Thanks! I'll have to cut all my zip-ties now and rewire this thing. :)

Turret board is in! I've decided not continue until I get some more wire-ties. I had to remove a few to rewire the power section to modern standards so I don't die. :) And I've added a few ground wires (I'm doing a hybrid style of grounding - check out the pots). So, I'm not going to go any further so I can tidy everything up first. And it'll give everybody a chance to look it over and see if anything is wrong. I don't want to have to pull the board up.

a110d94742d3fb79bbd31a3ad60d5f6e-d32jef0.jpg

9e2c7e754083ea374e1dbf853ea9b182-d32jelc.jpg

Just double check your solder connections. It only takes one bad one and it's a pain to trouble shoot.

Lp Freak":s2qn9uhm said:
Just double check your solder connections. It only takes one bad one and it's a pain to trouble shoot.

I've been double checking as I go with a multi-meter for continuity. Is that what you mean? Or are you talking about cold joints?

FourT6and2":2loiodo5 said:
Lp Freak":2loiodo5 said:

I've been double checking as I go with a multi-meter for continuity. Is that what you mean? Or are you talking about cold joints?
Both.

Moving pretty quickly. I'm glad there are people like you to do these types of projects. I'm so curious to how it will sound, seriously looking forward to clips :D

duesentrieb":1q4wyb19 said:
The chassis is aluminum/aluminium, right? So adding a rect. cut out shouldn't be that hard - or get those rect. punch drills from RS - probably Mike Fortin or Dan can help you . . .
. . . or someone else?

100_1553.jpg

100_1552.jpg

Although I don't know, whether the seen number still is a current RS number.
I've buyed this punch already 18 years ago.

HTH

But 5 minutes later (or 5 days :confused: ) it looks like here:

100_1982.jpg

100_1983.jpg

100_1984.jpg

100_2000.jpg

If you're interested on reading the whole building story (in German :D ), then check here:

http://www.historiclespauls.com/forum/v ... f=3&t=1764

Larry

hmmm, are IEC's a standard size? And who/what is RS? I might get a punch and put an IEC in. How does a punch work, do I need any other tools?

And Larry, how's my build look to you as far as routing/grounding all that stuff?

No, it's too large in size!

Use this one:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &x=16&y=15

How to work with this thing?
Believe me, as soon as you have it in your hands, it's self explaining.
First you have to drill a (round) hole of about 9/16", that you can stick the square bolt through...
... but further I can't explain in English. Don't know the part's name in English :confused: , but last comes the nut :yes:

Larry

novosibir":1b9tjxdc said:
No, it's too large in size!

Use this one:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/sear ... &x=16&y=15

How to work with this thing?
Believe me, as soon as you have it in your hands, it's self explaining.
First you have to drill a (round) hole of about 9/16", that you can stick the square bolt through...
... but further I can't explain in English. Don't know the part's name in English :confused: , but last comes the nut :yes:

Larry

:lol: :LOL: Thanks!

So, how does my build look so far? I know you're fairly knowledgable about this stuff. :)

EVERYTHING'S DONE!!!!

Well, except the board. ;) Saving that for later. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out so far. I've definitely learned a few tricks and what not to do for my next build (an SLO Clone) :) But I don't wanna speak too soon. Haven't fired this baby up, yet...

Things I have left to do besides the board:

Put weight-releif washers on the PT and OT mounting bolts and throw some blue Loctite on them for good measure.
Power cord.

834d689ad474eb8cfbd5da3047893efe-d32ne2m.jpg

21bdcf936fa4413c4e094d2e314d512f-d32ne98.jpg

51b1fc3ef3a96cfd8ebd1d0f7d1991cb-d32nece.jpg

Yeah, it's looking nice so far!
The heater wires are twisted nicely!
All the cables to the Volumes & the Tone controls away from the board, routed in the chassis' edge - perfect!
To use 4 independent 5.6K grid stoppers on the output tubes instead of the orig. 2 * 1.5K also is a good decision.
The ground bus NOT soldered to the pot's backs :thumbsup:

Just both the green grid cables to V1a, V2a & V3a I'd rise up a bit off of the black heater cables, to avoid possible hum induction.

Larry

novosibir":3ngfrrym said:
Just both the green grid cables to V1a, V2a & V3a I'd rise up a bit off of the black heater cables, to avoid possible hum induction.

Larry

Yeah, I actually just had the same idea! I also read up a bunch on some of your posts on the Metro Forum before I began, so that helped me a lot with lead-dress and where to route everything. Thanks! :)

Haha - nice to hear, that my posts are helpful!
Very appreciated! :)

Larry

Back