Mark V --- will it do recent Cannibal Corpse tone/riffage?

• Thread starter Thread starter jack-2
  • Start date Start date
shred-o-holic":1y056uzy said:
Meh I love the death metal tones.......I can't wait to try the Mark V when it comes in......it has an Extreme gain setting BTW......there are actually people who still don't get what a clean boost does for feel?? :doh: :lol: :LOL:

Exactly. Lower the amp gain, compensate with a clean boost, different feel and attack all together!

why not just get a recto and boost it with a metalzone like they do?

jack-2":rndcvy8p said:
shred-o-holic":rndcvy8p said:
Meh I love the death metal tones.......I can't wait to try the Mark V when it comes in......it has an Extreme gain setting BTW......there are actually people who still don't get what a clean boost does for feel?? :doh: :lol: :LOL:

Exactly. Lower the amp gain, compensate with a clean boost, different feel and attack all together!

Yup it's what I do....with all my amps..

RaceU4her":2eow4pb4 said:
Do they still do this or is it what the used to do? So many better pedals out there for boosting these days.......why not try boosting a Mark V? Oh the horror.. :lol: :LOL:

shred-o-holic":1bw10n85 said:
RaceU4her":1bw10n85 said:
Do they still do this or is it what the used to do? So many better pedals out there for boosting these days.......why not try boosting a Mark V? Oh the horror.. :lol: :LOL:
Certainly seemed a bit odd to me. A Tubescreamer or Bad Monkey maybe but not that Metal Zone thing.

I used to think Vai was crazy for boosting with a DS-1......

Sick Michael":1om4hzyu said:
shred-o-holic":1om4hzyu said:
RaceU4her":1om4hzyu said:
Certainly seemed a bit odd to me. A Tubescreamer or Bad Monkey maybe but not that Metal Zone thing.

I believe the drive is off, and that the semi-parametric EQ plays a big role. I`ve read about several DM band boosting with a metalzone, because of the EQ on it.

ke2":1sx7yr8b said:
the drive is off, and that the semi-parametric EQ plays a big role. I`ve read about several DM band boosting with a metalzone, because of the EQ on it.

+1

ke2":667jflq6 said:
Sick Michael":667jflq6 said:
shred-o-holic":667jflq6 said:
RaceU4her":667jflq6 said:

I believe the drive is off, and that the semi-parametric EQ plays a big role. I`ve read about several DM band boosting with a metalzone, because of the EQ on it.
Ah, right, gotcha.

ke2":3fpp3n2v said:
Sick Michael":3fpp3n2v said:
shred-o-holic":3fpp3n2v said:
RaceU4her":3fpp3n2v said:

my question is, does the metalzone really not negatively effect the tone doing this?

jack-2":18ul2us9 said:
my question is, does the metalzone really not negatively effect the tone doing this?

TBH, I don`t know how much gain there is left in an MT-2 with the drive off... but the EQ would make it a great tool for shaping the exact frequenzies you want to boost or cut. I used my cheap Behringer parametric as a boost once, and it was great :rock:

As far as Mark IV's and death metal / extreme metal. Charles from Abysmal Dawn uses the Mark IV unboosted for his rhythm tone live and just flips the loop on with an Intellifex (I think) in it for leads. His tone is awesome and always crushed the other guitarist's tone (who used the Randall RM100 or whatever it was called)

When I saw Emperor in California Samoth's ENGL Powerball went out and he used the Mark IV for about half of the set. Worked perfectly fine.

As far as death metal bands and MT-2's. Cannibal Corpse used the MT-2 + Recto. Same with Malevolent Creation and I believe Monstrosity used the same rig as well (though I swear when I saw Monstrosity a bit ago it was Krank Distortion Pedal for all gain into a Framus Cobra set on clean, hahaha!). Morbid Angel was a RAT pedal (or rackmount R2DU) into JCM 900's.

ke2":2vvzpqqs said:
jack-2":2vvzpqqs said:

TBH, I don`t know how much gain there is left in an MT-2 with the drive off... but the EQ would make it a great tool for shaping the exact frequenzies you want to boost or cut. I used my cheap Behringer parametric as a boost once, and it was great :rock:

Metalzone gain on 0= DS1 almost full on :lol: :LOL:

For extreme death metal, the metalzone set as a "boost" into a Dual Rec really does sound like what the OP wants, he's not looking for the Mark series tone. :lol: :LOL:

Shiny_Surface":208b0ac6 said:
ke2":208b0ac6 said:
jack-2":208b0ac6 said:

Metalzone gain on 0= DS1 almost full on :lol: :LOL:

For extreme death metal, the metalzone set as a "boost" into a Dual Rec really does sound like what the OP wants, he's not looking for the Mark series tone. :lol: :LOL:

So no SRV-sounds from the Metal zone then? :hys:

Inearthed":39fr4sva said:
As far as Mark IV's and death metal / extreme metal. Charles from Abysmal Dawn uses the Mark IV unboosted for his rhythm tone live and just flips the loop on with an Intellifex (I think) in it for leads. His tone is awesome and always crushed the other guitarist's tone (who used the Randall RM100 or whatever it was called)

When I saw Emperor in California Samoth's ENGL Powerball went out and he used the Mark IV for about half of the set. Worked perfectly fine.

As far as death metal bands and MT-2's. Cannibal Corpse used the MT-2 + Recto. Same with Malevolent Creation and I believe Monstrosity used the same rig as well (though I swear when I saw Monstrosity a bit ago it was Krank Distortion Pedal for all gain into a Framus Cobra set on clean, hahaha!). Morbid Angel was a RAT pedal (or rackmount R2DU) into JCM 900's.

Really. How was emperors tone different from powerball to mkiv?

Do NOT expect the same results boosting a Mark series amp compared to almost anything else. All Mark amps have their tone controls BEFORE the gain stages. Turning up the treble & mid while turning down the bass gives an effect similar to boosting. Combine this with too much boost (pedal) in front of the amp = white noise.

I personally prefer Mark series Mesas over rectos, but they'll never have the thick wall of sound of a Recto.

thegame":do0sv7g8 said:
Do NOT expect the same results boosting a Mark series amp compared to almost anything else. All Mark amps have their tone controls BEFORE the gain stages. Turning up the treble & mid while turning down the bass gives an effect similar to boosting. Combine this with too much boost (pedal) in front of the amp = white noise.

I personally prefer Mark series Mesas over rectos, but they'll never have the thick wall of sound of a Recto.

id rather boost the signal from my guitar and keep the eq on the amp for....eqing the amp

jack-2":1ljv2xri said:
thegame":1ljv2xri said:

id rather boost the signal from my guitar and keep the eq on the amp for....eqing the amp

You're not getting it.... tone controls on a Mark ARE a boost... of sorts.

thegame":1ertueyx said:

I was never a big fan of Chevelle but i thought for sure they were using Recto's, because it sure sounds like it. Suprised to see them use the Mark IV.

I like a Recto with a boost. I saw Hoobastank once and that guy's rhythm was absolutley crushing live. Not a big fan of them either but they sounded excellent live.

jack-2":2t861f53 said:
thegame":2t861f53 said:

You need to use the graphic EQ to shape the sound on a Mark series Boogie. The treble acts like a gain boost and the bass and mid are best left on 1 or 2. It sounds wierd but after you play with it for a while you'll see how it acts.

thegame":28xppcrq said:
jack-2":28xppcrq said:
thegame":28xppcrq said:

You're not getting it.... tone controls on a Mark ARE a boost... of sorts.

you can say that for any amp. up the treb and mids and gain on an amp, its boosting those things. but the whole point im trying to make is that an external boost has a different sound and feel to playing....

Back