Mark V --- will it do recent Cannibal Corpse tone/riffage?

• Thread starter Thread starter jack-2
  • Start date Start date
jack-2":4wcisiim said:
thegame":4wcisiim said:
jack-2":4wcisiim said:
thegame":4wcisiim said:
Do NOT expect the same results boosting a Mark series amp compared to almost anything else. All Mark amps have their tone controls BEFORE the gain stages. Turning up the treble & mid while turning down the bass gives an effect similar to boosting. Combine this with too much boost (pedal) in front of the amp = white noise.

I personally prefer Mark series Mesas over rectos, but they'll never have the thick wall of sound of a Recto.

id rather boost the signal from my guitar and keep the eq on the amp for....eqing the amp

You're not getting it.... tone controls on a Mark ARE a boost... of sorts.

you can say that for any amp. up the treb and mids and gain on an amp, its boosting those things. but the whole point im trying to make is that an external boost has a different sound and feel to playing....

No, it's not the same. It's where the tone controls are that makes the difference. You won't really hear the difference until you mess around with one for a while. A Marshalls tone controls and a Boogie's act like 2 different Galaxies altogether.

danyeo":w63xbife said:
jack-2":w63xbife said:
thegame":w63xbife said:
jack-2":w63xbife said:
thegame":w63xbife said:
Do NOT expect the same results boosting a Mark series amp compared to almost anything else. All Mark amps have their tone controls BEFORE the gain stages. Turning up the treble & mid while turning down the bass gives an effect similar to boosting. Combine this with too much boost (pedal) in front of the amp = white noise.

I personally prefer Mark series Mesas over rectos, but they'll never have the thick wall of sound of a Recto.

id rather boost the signal from my guitar and keep the eq on the amp for....eqing the amp

you can say that for any amp. up the treb and mids and gain on an amp, its boosting those things. but the whole point im trying to make is that an external boost has a different sound and feel to playing....

No, it's not the same. It's where the tone controls are that makes the difference. You won't really hear the difference until you mess around with one for a while. A Marshalls tone controls and a Boogie's act like 2 different Galaxies altogether.
i guess i wouldnt knwo till i get one one day.
do YOU think it can achieve Cannibal corpse tonezz?

jack-2":dhhvj3ik said:
danyeo":dhhvj3ik said:
thegame":dhhvj3ik said:
thegame":dhhvj3ik said:

i guess i wouldnt knwo till i get one one day.
do YOU think it can achieve Cannibal corpse tonezz?

Well, the Mark V probably isn't going to sound drastically different from the Mark IV on the lead channel. Try and find a IV and give it a spin.

danyeo":1jqsk7tv said:
thegame":1jqsk7tv said:

I was never a big fan of Chevelle but i thought for sure they were using Recto's, because it sure sounds like it. Suprised to see them use the Mark IV.

I like a Recto with a boost. I saw Hoobastank once and that guy's rhythm was absolutley crushing live. Not a big fan of them either but they sounded excellent live.

Yeah, I don't doubt that. I wouldn't be surprised if all those guys were going through Recto 4x12s, which sound ok but also make everything sound the same IMO.

Want an opinion from somebody who owns both a Mark III and Rackmount Recto, and also listens to Death Metal? The Mark series cannot get the Cannibal Corpse tone. The distortion character is just too different. Comparing them side by side, the Recto sounds "huge," and the Mark sounds "focused." The Mark's distortion is much smoother (think Necrophagist smooth). The Mark series also don't take boosts well, IMO. Sure, I could throw a boost in front to get some extra sustain, but it never really changes the character of the amp. The Recto, on the other hand, I will only run with a boost. It sounds crushing once boosted, and it really comes alive. The Mark series doesn't seem to like lower tunings as much as the Rectos do, either.

If you're going after the Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Coldworker, Dying Fetus, Hypocrisy, etc. tone, get a 2 channel Recto, preferably a rackmount model.
If, on the other hand, you're going for a Death, Decapitated, Necrophagist, The Faceless, etc. tone, get a Mark series.

Code001":1otpyw6c said:
Want an opinion from somebody who owns both a Mark III and Rackmount Recto, and also listens to Death Metal? The Mark series cannot get the Cannibal Corpse tone. The distortion character is just too different. Comparing them side by side, the Recto sounds "huge," and the Mark sounds "focused." The Mark's distortion is much smoother (think Necrophagist smooth). The Mark series also don't take boosts well, IMO. Sure, I could throw a boost in front to get some extra sustain, but it never really changes the character of the amp. The Recto, on the other hand, I will only run with a boost. It sounds crushing once boosted, and it really comes alive. The Mark series doesn't seem to like lower tunings as much as the Rectos do, either.

If you're going after the Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Coldworker, Dying Fetus, Hypocrisy, etc. tone, get a 2 channel Recto, preferably a rackmount model.
If, on the other hand, you're going for a Death, Decapitated, Necrophagist, The Faceless, etc. tone, get a Mark series.

very insightful. i love necro and the faceless tone. very tight, technical, and focused, like you said. what kind of tone/band does the mark series do if its setup like this:
clean boost in front of amp, bass at 6, mid at 4, high at 4, gain at 7-8/10....?

jack-2":9s8kgbgw said:
Code001":9s8kgbgw said:

very insightful. i love necro and the faceless tone. very tight, technical, and focused, like you said. what kind of tone/band does the mark series do if its setup like this:
clean boost in front of amp, bass at 6, mid at 4, high at 4, gain at 7-8/10....?

If you put those settings in a Mark amp, it would sound like flubby ass. As others have said, you can't run the Bass past 2 on these amps, and you have to keep the Treble above 7. The Mid knob barely does much, so feel free to put that on whatever you want. And like I said before, boosting the Mark amps don't do what you think they will. They're completely different from most any other amp out there.

Code001":2fcfa16e said:
jack-2":2fcfa16e said:
Code001":2fcfa16e said:

If you put those settings in a Mark amp, it would sound like flubby ass. As others have said, you can't run the Bass past 2 on these amps, and you have to keep the Treble above 7. The Mid knob barely does much, so feel free to put that on whatever you want. And like I said before, boosting the Mark amps don't do what you think they will. They're completely different from most any other amp out there.

so whats the point of a bass knob if you cant go above 2?

jack-2":2f5753r9 said:
Inearthed":2f5753r9 said:
As far as Mark IV's and death metal / extreme metal. Charles from Abysmal Dawn uses the Mark IV unboosted for his rhythm tone live and just flips the loop on with an Intellifex (I think) in it for leads. His tone is awesome and always crushed the other guitarist's tone (who used the Randall RM100 or whatever it was called)

When I saw Emperor in California Samoth's ENGL Powerball went out and he used the Mark IV for about half of the set. Worked perfectly fine.

As far as death metal bands and MT-2's. Cannibal Corpse used the MT-2 + Recto. Same with Malevolent Creation and I believe Monstrosity used the same rig as well (though I swear when I saw Monstrosity a bit ago it was Krank Distortion Pedal for all gain into a Framus Cobra set on clean, hahaha!). Morbid Angel was a RAT pedal (or rackmount R2DU) into JCM 900's.

Really. How was emperors tone different from powerball to mkiv?
Little less saturation, little bit more dry / defined sounding. Ihsahn was still using the Powerball though. His guitar work sounded great through it.

jack-2":2fqejh87 said:

When using the clean channel for good ol blues, you can run the bass higher, and the EQ for a lead boost.. The Mark amps weren`t made for tight metal riffing alone :) It`s just that when you run the EQ in a V, and treble high/bass/mids low, it sounds really tight and great for metal.

ke2":1o2omaf3 said:
jack-2":1o2omaf3 said:

When using the clean channel for good ol blues, you can run the bass higher, and the EQ for a lead boost.. The Mark amps weren`t made for tight metal riffing alone :) It`s just that when you run the EQ in a V, and treble high/bass/mids low, it sounds really tight and great for metal.
so it can't do thick, chunky, beefy, deep, tight riffs?

"the bleeding" is the best cannibal corpse tone and one of the greatest tones ever if you ask me. all you need is a 150 dollar crate :thumbsup:

RaceU4her":3jbhc6pq said:
"the bleeding" is the best cannibal corpse tone and one of the greatest tones ever if you ask me. all you need is a 150 dollar crate :thumbsup:

I can't agree. Modern corpse tone is one of my absolute favorite death metal tones.

I never played thru a amp that does this better than a IIC/III/IV.

You need to play thru one.
Make sure you get some setting from people who know the amp.
On first try I have never seen someone get good sounds with out this.

stephen sawall":2un2u9vz said:

I never played thru a amp that does this better than a IIC/III/IV.

You need to play thru one.
Make sure you get some setting from people who know the amp.
On first try I have never seen someone get good sounds with out this.

Why do u say it's so hard?

It is much easier to get bad sound than good from these amps.
The controls are very interactive.
If you change one knob others well need to be changed also.
A lot of people just get lost.
If you use someone's guide lines it well give you a good place to start.

stephen sawall":3q96fem2 said:
It is much easier to get bad sound than good from these amps.
The controls are very interactive.
If you change one knob others well need to be changed also.
A lot of people just get lost.
If you use someone's guide lines it well give you a good place to start.
seems like mesa would see this as a sale-diminisher...

They have done very well.
Sometimes this is what you need to do to make an amp more versatile.
This is how they get that sound.

stephen sawall":1elyzqfc said:
They have done very well.
Sometimes this is what you need to do to make an amp more versatile.
This is how they get that sound.
so basically, have patience haha

Back