Modelers suck

• Thread starter Thread starter Exo-metal
  • Start date Start date
I just think people miss the point a lot of times. Each person has different needs for what they are doing. When I got my Fractal, it blew my mind that I could finally hear these amps I've never even seen in person. To have those at my disposal, who wouldn't want that?

At the same time, it helped me trim down what I REALLY needed and wanted. Now I'm happy with a few amp tones. I'm a Marshall tone guy so anything close to that makes me happy.

I was thinking about this the other day. A lot of the early stuff was bad. But once it got to the Line 6 POD...was it the amps that sounded bad, or the speaker emulation? I run a POD through a Bassman sometimes, and turn off the speaker IR's, and it's not terrible. It would be interesting to go back and use some of the old school modelers through nice IR's and see the results.
I've wanted to try a few of the old rack preamps (ADA, Mesa, Marshall, ART, Rocktron, etc.) into a modern IR loader like Two Notes; I'm down to my old ADA MP-2, and a TriAxis with Phat Mod if I can find it. MP-1, JMP-1, SGX-2000 are long gone, as is my IR loader the original Two Notes torpedo.

I think the preamps wit 16-bit or higher would sound fine, good or better.

I've wanted to try a few of the old rack preamps (ADA, Mesa, Marshall, ART, Rocktron, etc.) into a modern IR loader like Two Notes; I'm down to my old ADA MP-2, and a TriAxis with Phat Mod if I can find it. MP-1, JMP-1, SGX-2000 are long gone, as is my IR loader the original Two Notes torpedo.

I think the preamps wit 16-bit or higher would sound fine, good or better.
I want a TriAxis so bad, I want those Mesa tones but with a SS power amp

the algorithms are what find new music for people without even having to look though, someone posted the band Girish here recently that i checked out and liked and now its linked me to a bunch of other bands i like i would never have heard otherwise.
Yep. Apple Music is the same. I’ve found so many killer bands I’d never heard of because of their “you might like” algorithms

Yep. Apple Music is the same. I’ve found so many killer bands I’d never heard of because of their “you might like” algorithms

it really is amazing, yet there is a large group here that for reasons i cant figure out wont use music apps who are always the ones complaining theres no good new music out there :dunno:

Power amp modeling is currently the weakest link in the modeler chain. Latest modeler I had was the FM3, as a preamp it was pretty close to sounding/feeling analogue and there’s some convincing IR’s out there but it just didn’t have the feel of real power tubes and if you tried to adjust power amp parameters, including changing simulated tube type & bias, it’s like there was almost no audible change.

Modelers are useful tools but the market is such that these companies can release their glitching half baked products and once they become stable the support is already on the way out as they release the next model. Modeler cult fan bois must be the greatest market share in order to allow such shitty business practices. Could you imagine a tube amp that’s like, oh don’t try switching channels with the reverb engaged and don’t expect the contour to stay engaged after you’ve toggled the boost 3 times, we’ll have that fixed in an indeterminate amount of time along with the inexplicable volume changes, we really didn’t test this thing for shit so you’re basically an unpaid product tester, so good luck on your tour!

My ideal rig would be something in a small form factor, like the Mooer Prime P2 and their F4 wireless footswtich, running PolyChromeDSP software plugin.

The P2 would be mounted where I can see it on the mic stand.

Wireless from guitar to P2; wireless P2 to line mixer; wireless in-ears that I can blend what I'm hearing.

My tube amps and larger rigs can stay at home where they belong. :yes:
I'm really about to get one of these myself but not for all the Bluetooth features but for some of the tones that I've heard and it's ease of use.

Reactions: rsm
I ordered a P2, should be here in a couple weeks. I used a link from vguitar forums to save $. Not the Amazon link.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=36333
Looks like Aliexpress has it for $161. I'm really tempted.

Noob question. I have a scarlett solo, this will connect to that with just a 1/4 instrument cable and play out of both of the monitors that are connected to it? Or could I even plug it straight into my PC and have it play out of the PC speakers?

Which Digitech RP's had the best whammys?

The Korn guys still swear by the XP-100, the Whammy/Wah, but I believe they love it because of the artifacts. Unless you're going for some different sounding effects, the current Whammy V is a killer Whammy, unless you go back to the WH-1 or WH-2.

The Korn guys still swear by the XP-100, the Whammy/Wah, but I believe they love it because of the artifacts. Unless you're going for some different sounding effects, the current Whammy V is a killer Whammy, unless you go back to the WH-1 or WH-2.
the xp were the best

Looks like Aliexpress has it for $161. I'm really tempted.

Noob question. I have a scarlett solo, this will connect to that with just a 1/4 instrument cable and play out of both of the monitors that are connected to it? Or could I even plug it straight into my PC and have it play out of the PC speakers?

yep, I ordered from the ali express link, with the other discounts it's around $100 off the amazon price. My total was $153.76 shipped. IIRC, Amazon is $245?

not sure about going direct into PC, could be latency?

I ran/run my P1 from the headphones out with a TRS to dual TS splitter cable into a PA mixer or a stereo powered monitor with L and R inputs; the P2 has a TRS out, so I can use the same TRS to dual TS out, with a 1/4" adaptor into Left and Right (two channels) in my mixer, each panned hard Left and the other Right...so you'd need to split the TRS output of the P2 and use two channels in your audio interface to get the stereo signal output from the P2. I'm guessing a TS connected to the P2 output would be mono?

yep, I ordered from the ali express link, with the other discounts it's around $100 off the amazon price. My total was $153.76 shipped. IIRC, Amazon is $245?

not sure about going direct into PC, could be latency?

I ran/run my P1 from the headphones out with a TRS to dual TS splitter cable into a PA mixer or a stereo powered monitor with L and R inputs; the P2 has a TRS out, so I can use the same TRS to dual TS out, with a 1/4" adaptor into Left and Right (two channels) in my mixer, each panned hard Left and the other Right...so you'd need to split the TRS output of the P2 and use two channels in your audio interface to get the stereo signal output from the P2. I'm guessing a TS connected to the P2 output would be mono?
Thanks for the reply and info/advice. I hope you get yours soon and I hope to hear clips soon if you decide to do so record. In the meantime I'm still going to do what I usually do and not make a decision on anything...yet. I need a little more research first.

My old boss told me once, that all the roads in the world are paved with squirrels that couldn't make a decision.

Agreed. It‘s the same as it ever was. Always have to search and find new and good music. It’s easier today than it used to be too with recommendations from Apple and others with like genre music. If you need to be spoonfed music then all you’ll get is spoonfed music. So many bands sounded alike in the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s 90’s, etc…had to dig through piles of music to find something cool or unique.

Back