Mogami vs. Monster Cables.

• Thread starter Thread starter dbsens13
  • Start date Start date
I use both, I prefer mogami/switchcraft because you can roll your own, but there is nothing wrong with monster cables other than way overpriced and marketing bs.

kasperjensen":7toqfq2v said:
I would like to hear some A/B testing on this...

I don't really know anything about cables, or which sound better or worse... So I am not going to discount there being a noticeable difference. That being said, I have never noticed any significant difference when I have switched.

a/b testing aside, you can build better cables with mogami and neutrik that will far exceed $99 Monster cables for about $20 or less. Not much to test. Even if they tested the same, you win by not buying monster. Canare cable is excellent as well. Monster is all marketing.

I really don't get it. Ok, it wasn't a cheap cable option going for the gold connectors... But so far they are the only cables that havent given me any trouble... And they feel rock solid.

As far as them being all about the marketing... Show me a company that isn't! Especially in the guitar industry.

I use all Monster Cable. and never had any issues. If i break em, they replace them. And they sound way better than cheap shit IMHO.

I do agree tho that the Mogami stuff does sound a touch better. But just a tocuh. ;)

I use mogami with switchcraft jacks that i wired up myself and they've been trouble free and fantastic. You cant really get monster cable stuff here easily, i guess the equivalent on our market would be the high end planet waves stuff and its SHIT. Lifetime warranty is no good when it craps in soundcheck. I had a buddy working at a music store who used to get them cheap, gone through a whole bunch, even the expensive ones are rubbish and the plugs are huge and wont fit into a lot of guitars if they have a recessed or angled jack, they also stretch the jacks on whatever you plug them into causing more problems

PaulyPanacea":1u55hkgk said:
I use all Monster Cable. and never had any issues. If i break em, they replace them. And they sound way better than cheap shit IMHO.

I do agree tho that the Mogami stuff does sound a touch better. But just a tocuh. ;)
I like your point. While i agree that cables do sound different, the differences are minor. Waxing over what cable sounds better is kinda funny in a way. Im guilty as charged. but its not like a cable is gonna make a rig that sounds like shit sound like gold :lol: :LOL:

I had about 10 Monsters break on me. most due to jacks breaking. As stated above, lifetime warranty doesn't do any good in the middle of a set. I was tired of screwing with them. I make my own. Mogami or Canari cable and whatever ends you like.

My guy (supplier, tech, distributor, etc) is dead set on Evidence Monorail cables with George L ends for connecting my Preamps to Poweramp, for custom lengths.

Outside of this, he's dead set on either the precut and packaged Evidence or Vovox speaker cables, and of course, same goes for instrument. He also said sound test for sound test, the Lava Cable with either Neutrik ends or George L's sounded awesome compared to a lot of the other brands out there - Monster, etc.

Peace,
V.

i've got both, with various assortments of the monster. had one monster die in bout 3 years and i play at church everyweekend, plus other random gigs. not bad in my opinion, and the lifetime warranty is awesome, just took the dead cable back into guitar center and they handed me a new one. To those saying there's are quiting in the middle of a gig, bring back back up cables.....

I don't get how you guys are breaking the cables? Stepping on the ends? I've had the same Monsters forever and I haven't broken one. Maybe lucky.

If your not concerned with tone, but want a great warranty, go with Monster. I use only Mogami and Canare. No need for a warranty.

chunktone":60kx71qh said:
If your not concerned with tone, but want a great warranty, go with Monster. I use only Mogami and Canare. No need for a warranty.
I don't think the Monster Rock cables sound all that bad. I started using them after years of Spectraflex, GeorgeL's, and home-made cables and IMO they're giving me the best tone I've had yet. (That said I will be ordering Mogami 2319 to make cables for my board.)

RoidRage":1pniq4c0 said:
Monsters are a waist of money... Thin & Weak sounding...

ROAD HOGS for a Quarter of the price RULE!

Just Try em'

Roid RAGE

I bought loads of the Road Hogs before from Tour Supply and they are definitely good stuff. Can't find them always though.

As for Monster, I use Monster speaker cables. Instrument cables are Zaolla.

Steve

I've got one Monster that's never ever been a problem. I could tell a noticeable difference as soon as I replaced the cheap chord I was using. I agree that the company's ethics are questionable. I've also got a pair of 16 year old spectraflex cables that are indestructible.

I have both Mogami and Monster cables here. I mostly prefer the mogami in sound. It just seems to sound better in most applications to my ears. I vote for Mogami

Every Monster cable I've owned has broke. Most of the one's i broke when i was playing out. Once i clearly remember walking across the stage and my foot caught the cable that was going into my pedal board. It wasn't that hard of a tug, but enough that the cable started crapping out. In the past 7 years I've been in my basement but I've had 2 Monster cables crap out.

The good thing is you can go to GC and get a new one. But I'm going to stop using them because they're such crap.

dbsens13":3fpv8ypn said:
I mean for either instrument cables or speaker cables. Which do you prefer and why? Which is better?

Mogami. Nothing beats the Mogami Platinum instrument cable. The Mogami Gold is also excellent. I've done extensive cable testing for mic and speaker cables, and the cables do matter! Monster was good, but i does attenuate the high end. Mogami has a fuller frequency response and better dynamics.

Mogami Rocks. I've used monster at the store I work at. I prefer Mogami 2524 for instrument.

Back