Mogami vs. Monster Cables.

• Thread starter Thread starter dbsens13
  • Start date Start date
yup, only connector that has broken on me was a monster cable... i think i still have it with one end missing somewhere...

i havn't found my preferance yet for instrument cables. but I found this HUGE thick gauge planet waves speaker cable.. it was the bomb
it disapeared in bassist auditions... only god knows why...

i find monster instrument cables dull.

I use monster for the warranty and only have had one fail.I also never broke one.I definately have gotten my moneys worth out of them....cable gets that memory twist...get a new one...

For you guys that use Monster because of the warranty should know that both Planet Waves and Mogami have the same type warranty.

Personally I would never buy Monster anything, but if you insist on spending that kind of money, buy Mogami.

i use and like both ... i kind of favor mogami for the front of the amp, and i like monster cable everywhere else, like loop and speaker cable

both are good and made well

dimarzio speaker cables

mogami with neutrik ends on anything out front of an amplifier

planet wave cable with neutrik ends for anything out back/in rack.

ive ran through alot of cables - colossal, mom/pop store brands, monster, and these, and this sounds/works the best for me.

there is also somewhere on this forum a soundbyte comparison on how neutrik ends sound versus switchcraft and there IS a difference you can hear. search for it and see for yourself :)

Mogami and Canare....I've been trying one of the Lava cables lately and so far it seems really good, still need to beat the shit out of it for awhile to see if it can stand up, but after a few months, no problems and it does sound pretty good.

Been using the Monster Studio Pro 1000 cables, both instrument and speaker since '98. So far I've replaced 2 instrument cables. They sound pretty good to my ears. Gonna try some Zaolla stuff eventually.

Martin

The one down side about Mogami is the price. I currently have gepco and canare. Absolutely great wire for less $$$. Though i feel the Canare GS6 wire has a stiffer jacket that bugs me a little. So I only use canare on my board. Everything else is gepco X-Band wire with switchcraft ends right now

Haven't scrolled this whole thread... I just wanted to say up front that I never gave much thought to instrument cables before. I happened to get a lead on some great pricing on EA and Vovox and a couple others - I thought "whoop-deee-dooo, I'm perfectly happy with this cable I've got :dunno: ". Well, I was sent a mess of EA, Vovox, and some sample Lava brand cables (Soar??) and a few others (can't remember names)... Blasted if I wasn't kinda taken aback!! There IS a difference!!!

I'm now fully laden with Vovox cables for both instrument and speaker. Done.

Just my 2 cents,
V.

Almost all of my cables, both speaker and instrument, are Monster cables (either studio pro or the "rock" series). I have gone on plenty of tours using the same monster cables and I think I only ever had to replace one cable, if that.

That being said, when I bought a GCX audio switcher i also bought bulk Mogami cable and Neutrik/Switchcraft connectors and made my own patch cables. I really felt like I heard a vast improvement in my overall tone.

Monster is nice for the warranty, but if you don't play out a lot and want to save a few bucks, buy some bulk mogami cable and some good connectors and you'll be set. I always get my parts from Redco Audio by the way.

spectraflex, when they were under 25 bux for the 20 footers...were a real bargain..i have a bunch of them, and used a few to wire my rack with and never really looked back.

i have a monster speaker cable that was left at a 10 band gig my band hosted years ago, and we posted on our website but no one claimed it. i notice no difference between it and my APC speaker cables.

if i ever need new ones though, i'll just make them like in that video.

ones i will NEVER use are george L's. i DESPISE the cheapness and the way they sound.

droptrd":bexziql7 said:
Also, you should just build your own anyway. Its the best and cheapest option for high quality cables.

This is a cool vid for anyone interested in making their own...

Thanks very much for that. :thumbsup:

funny too, i was checking through my box of gig gear/spares/etc
and found two 20 foot canare cables with the gold ends ! SCORE! forgot i even had them!
bought them wayyyyyy long time ago on ebay 2 for 40 !

I've had the same Monster cables (8 patch, 4 twentyfive footers, and 2 speaker) for over 12 years. These cable have been to at least 400 bar gigs 6 recording sesions and many drunkin jams with them being stepped on, kicked around, and all the rest of the abuse that a guitar cable suffers and I have NEVER had one break down. They have lasted longer than any cable I bought before. They sound better than any of the other cables I had at the time (those are all gone now, all broke, thank you Planet Waves, Fender, Livewire) My .02

one company that has a joke of a warranty is bullet cables, I had a white coil cable that broke at the jack, bullet supposedly had a lifetime warranty but when I called the dealer they said that I have to contact bullet directly and the only number they have is disconnected or not in use. Never buy their shit again.

I've had similar negative Monster experiences. One cable that randomly became intermittent and another that basically blew apart when it received a healthy but not extreme tug while being plugged into a bass. The end came apart and the tip literally fell right out of the sleeve like the whole thing was only held together with wishes and dreams. They are also a shitty company ethically.

I use Mogami stuff in my studio and an Evidence Audio cable in front of my AxeFX.

Back