Most important/influential rock guitarist ever?

• Thread starter Thread starter yngzaklynch
  • Start date Start date
most important? Me! LOL

Most influential? Probably Elvis. Yeah he played guitar

danyeo":3uxfj371 said:
electrophonic.tonic":3uxfj371 said:
Chet Atkins?
Not a "rock" player by todays standards, but he influenced a shitload of rock guitar players.

In the 80's in High School anyone that played guitar that I knew wanted to play like Eddie, then Randy, then Jimmy Page, Iommi. Then Yngwie came out, then Metallica. Chet Atkins? NO.
Because 80's high school is the ultimate litmus test :lol: :LOL:
Yeah I graduated in '88 and every player at my school was trying to cop Yngwie licks.
Lynch and Demartini were also pretty popular, and of course Eddie. Tons of dudes were playing Maiden and Priest too.

EVH to me and most people of this generation methinks.
All time?
Gotta go Jack Butler
Butler_Guitar.jpg

Ventura":2ywdy2ko said:
But then Chuck Berry wouldn't have "been" if it weren't for Les Paul.

But after this epoch moment in 6 string history?

Beck and Clapton are in there.
Then Jimi.
Then Jimmy.
Then MacLaughlin (tying back to older roots of Django)
Then EVH
Then Rhoads
Then Vai
Then....

It's all personal preference. Not Guthrie Govan, for the record. But ya, jeeez, hard to nail down. It's all subjective. Some peeps will say Scotty Moore of Elvis and some will say that ponce Michael Angelo Batshit. Ygnwie also brought speed into the equation. Satch schooled Vai. Frank Zappa stands firm in the last 50 years. What about the minimalists like Adam Jones and even Cantrell (nod to my text to Reza moments ago).

Way too personal to just pick one.

But I could argue any of the above and feel vindicated in my stance.

If it was not for Chuck Berry there would be no Buck Cherry..

Most important/influential to me? Frank Zappa, Steven Wilson, Nuno Bettencourt. In terms of songwriting, nuance, and personality no one else in this thread holds a candle to them IMO.

Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated guitarist of all time IMO. There are multiple guitarists of his own era that don't get as much "the best ever" talk as he does, but to me are better musicians.

I've always felt like his image and untimely death took him a lot further than his actual guitar playing did. The thing he's most famous for isn't even playing guitar, its lighting one on fire and smashing it, which Pete Townshend did the set before, well without the fire :D

Ventura":3eayp37b said:
Chuck Berry if you wanna start from scratch.

True.

Anyone at a pinnacle of rock guitar is standing on Chuck Berry's shoulders. They did not reach that peak on their own.

EVH is the obvious for sure. He rewrote the modern rock guitar book.

I'm going with Eddie.

For me this goes in order of most influential ever

Hendrix
EVH/Randy Rhoads (I pefer Rhoads)
Yngwie

KISS and Led Zepplin also got a lot of people playing but the 4 guys lI listed had a profound impact on the guitar players.

Who's the dude with the guitar hanging down to his fucking knees? :lol: :LOL:

crankyrayhanky":jpb0fddo said:
EVH to me and most people of this generation methinks.
All time?
Gotta go Jack Butler
Butler_Guitar.jpg

Didn't the Karate Kid beat him in that guitar contest? :thumbsup:

Heritage Softail":2t4j4dgg said:
Anyone at a pinnacle of rock guitar is standing on Chuck Berry's shoulders. They did not reach that peak on their own.
They didn't? ;)

Back