MXR sig RR Polkadot Disto +?

• Thread starter Thread starter Kapo_Polenton
  • Start date Start date
I'm surprised no dip switches on this as well, his sister said "other surprises" but she might have been talking about other pedals (maybe your guess isn't too far off). The fact that only 3200 are made is sweet for collectors

I think the " other surprises" are just the booklet.. wasn't aware of limited run but that could mean triple value in 10 years.. if you have the candy that goes with the box.

It's so funny.. nothing on the pedal. It's a distortion + with polkadots...but here are all these people talking about how awesome he was lol.
There's a bit of playing but you're right. Technically, we don't really know if that's the pedal or the amp because he's not fiddling with the knobs. I mean, it's probably the pedal... probably.... butttt 😆

I think the " other surprises" are just the booklet.. wasn't aware of limited run but that could mean triple value in 10 years.. if you have the candy that goes with the box.
I didn’t know it was limited. Contacted one of my vendors to see if they are getting any. Will go good with my 1959RR.
First Dist+ I bought was a Script logo and it was awesome. Have a block letter now and it is ok, but not like the script. Hopefully this will be like the script if I can get ahold of one.
Using these thru a clean amp is not the way to go with these.

I didn’t know it was limited. Contacted one of my vendors to see if they are getting any. Will go good with my 1959RR.
First Dist+ I bought was a Script logo and it was awesome. Have a block letter now and it is ok, but not like the script. Hopefully this will be like the script if I can get ahold of one.
Using these thru a clean amp is not the way to go with these.

Yes, I have put in an order too.. just to have it. They probably want to test the market and the appetite first but seeing as i would like to try one with my Marshalls, probably a good idea to try one that was modelled but the component values/drift in his actual rig pedal.

Sweetwater already showing no longer available

IMG_0355.jpeg

Sweetwater already showing no longer available

View attachment 333828

That's probably because they can't have all of them so look at other dealers around.. Mine is listed as a special order and i suppose they could come back and tell me none are available but I think if there is only what, 4,000? first run, then they will have wanted to spread them out some. Sweetwater can't be the monopoly.

probably because they can't have all of them so look at other dealers around.. Mine is listed as a special order and i suppose they could come back and tell me none are available but I think if there is only what, 4,000? first run, then they will have wanted to spread them out some. Sweetwater can't be the monopoly.
3200 of them total. They will  NOT have some non-limited version of it later so don't get your hopes up!

Here's the best video so far:

Sounds EXACTLY like Randy Rhoads tone. They nailed it. I knew the other demos were inaccurate because of how they recorded and the rigs they used.

3200 of them total. They will  NOT have some non-limited version of it later so don't get your hopes up!

Here's the best video so far:

Sounds EXACTLY like Randy Rhoads tone. They nailed it. I knew the other demos were inaccurate because of how they recorded and the rigs they used.

That's more like it...but that said, looks like he is using an Ox which means he is also likely using an altec IR which contributes as much or more to that sound. I have one if these on order either way bit pretty sure with an altec, you can use a number of overdrives and get that tone. The mxr has the teeth though, no question. That splatty unruly sound.

That's more like it...but that said, looks like he is using an Ox which means he is also likely using an altec IR which contributes as much or more to that sound. I have one if these on order either way bit pretty sure with an altec, you can use a number of overdrives and get that tone. The mxr has the teeth though, no question. That splatty unruly sound.
I'll be making a demo as well, but I'll be using a clean Marshall JTM Studio (1x12 Creamback) tube amp. That way you and others can hear a whole other side of the pedal :)

Or at least how it reacts with that amp.

I'll be making a demo as well, but I'll be using a clean Marshall JTM Studio (1x12 Creamback) tube amp. That way you and others can hear a whole other side of the pedal :)

Or at least how it reacts with that amp.

Playing it through a clean JTM isn't gonna bring the Rhoads in any way though..

I agree.
I was playing back when the Distortion+ came out. I made it work w/ a Marshall Super Tremolo, but the pedal is best overdriving something like an 800 Marshall.
Judging by the demos the only thing different on this new one is the Polka Dots. It remains the POS it has always been. Much better pedals these days to drive your amp.
Also, as mentioned before, if anybody is going after Randy tones with this POS, a 10 Band EQ is required.

I know but that's just how I demo all my pedals (through a super clean Marshall sound that's robust but also very balanced). I will also demo it by boosting pedals/stacking with overdrive pedals in the future. So in other words, I'll probably bring a type of demo that will be different from everyone else's.

I agree.
I was playing back when the Distortion+ came out. I made it work w/ a Marshall Super Tremolo, but the pedal is best overdriving something like an 800 Marshall.
Judging by the demos the only thing different on this new one is the Polka Dots. It remains the POS it has always been. Much better pedals these days to drive your amp.
Also, as mentioned before, if anybody is going after Randy tones with this POS, a 10 Band EQ is required.
I don't think it's just a half-baked half-assed cash grab clone disguised with a different paint job, at least the people who've recieved theirs (who own the regular one too) are saying it's a different beast.

I'm not so sure, perhaps MXR designed it to work well with modern clean amps despite the original being used to boost stuff. I get mine in a few days, so I'm excited to try it and I'll be posting alot of dumb shit as usual 👍

Some more thoughts. Back in 1974 this pedal was actually a god-send in that there weren't many choices back then, and this was before amps with gain in them.
I used it until 1978, when the Boss DS-1 came out. With Strats and Marshalls the Boss worked better.

I tried MXR Distortion+ a few times years later. To me they weren't as good as the original 70's ones.

Maybe not in the beginning but RR did end up using his Marshalls with a factory cascade so that would sort of go into JCM800 territory then boosted. I agree though, I think this thing will definitely need an EQ after it. I just so happened to buy a GE-10 on Reverb a few days ago so I think they will pair well.

Seems like the DS-1 addressed a lot of the issues with the MXR as did the DOD 250 and Grey era boxes. tighter bass, better volume. Gary Moore got some killer tones with a DS-1 kicking the front end of a Marshall.

Local shop here in town got some in, priced at $169.

I grabbed the last one this afternoon.
mxr.jpg

Back