OUTSIDE of Eddie... Who's the most Full of it when it comes to their rigs?

• Thread starter Thread starter reignman454
  • Start date Start date
I think it’s all a gimmick. I realized years ago when I seriously got into the amp game that it didn’t matter what I did, I would not sound like zakk or whoever. But it is still fun to fuck around with and play. That’s after I spent thousands on the zakk halfstack. These guys that can emulate evh or zw…I think it’s awesome. I can never do it.
Yeah, the tone in the fingers thing is definitely not a crock because I've played so many "setups" of the guitarists I love and never sound like them. There is a tone there obviously like Angus straight into Marshall versus Eddie's or Yngwie's, etc. but never get close to nailing it.

I think volume, studio magic, fingers, etc. make those sounds and I finally know that. When I was in high school in the 80s, ogling over Charvel and Marshall advertisements, I thought of I owned those, I'd instantly be satisfied.

All of them saying it's ALL in the fingers, and yet they hide their rigs so no one can replicate their sounds. If it's ALL in the fingers, they shouldn't worry one bit. Don't get me wrong...I know the fingers are part of the sound, but not as much as many say. I think it's 60/40 in favor of the fingers.

John Petrucci is all open about his gear and even shows all his settings, and still no one sounds like him. He's confident enough in himself to know that. And the other part is that he cares a lot about his fans, and therefore shares all his philosophy about tone. All cred to him.

Last edited:
John Petrucci is all open about his gear and even shows all his settings, and still no one sounds like him

And then there's Eric Johnson who's so specific, yet open about his stuff that people think he's just fucking with them :ROFLMAO:

All of them saying it's ALL in the fingers, and yet they hide their rigs so no one can replicate their sounds. If it's ALL in the fingers, they shouldn't worry one bit. Don't get me wrong...I know the fingers are part of the sound, but not as much as many say. I think it's 60/40 in favor of the fingers.

John Petrucci is all open about his gear and even shows all his settings, and still no one sounds like him. He's confident enough in himself to know that. And the other part is that he cares a lot about his fans, and therefore shares all his philosophy about tone. All cred to him.
Every entity has trade secrets. Coke, Pepsi, KFC, Dr. Pepper… Al hide their ingredients so that the original, novel, unique quality stays intact. In 1978 when VH 1 was released every player in the world suddenly tried to rip EVH… right down to his technique. It’s no wonder he was trying to keep it a secret.

Every entity has trade secrets. Coke, Pepsi, KFC, Dr. Pepper… Al hide their ingredients so that the original, novel, unique quality stays intact. In 1978 when VH 1 was released every player in the world suddenly tried to rip EVH… right down to his technique. It’s no wonder he was trying to keep it a secret.
His biggest secret was turning the variac up to 140V.

㊙️

It’s all in the fingers….

Michael Small.jpeg

His biggest secret was turning the variac up to 140V.

㊙️

That was in the April 1980 GP Magazine, right?
That was really low. 😑
I wonder how many young guys blew up their Marshalls because of that comment.

I guess he apologized for that comment years later… From what I understand.
Too little, too late.

Last edited:
That was in the April 1980 GP Magazine, right?
That was really low. 😑
I wonder how many young guys blew up their Marshals because of that comment.

I guess he apologize for that comment years later… From what I understand.
George Lynch said the exact same thing during a guitar mag interview.

:rolleyes:

All of them saying it's ALL in the fingers, and yet they hide their rigs so no one can replicate their sounds.
Some guys with all the tone in their fingers keep their hands hidden in their pockets offstage.

1725642919059.png

Back