Votes: 117 29.1%
  • 51-60

Votes: 128 31.8%
  • 61-70

Votes: 35 8.7%
  • 71-80

Votes: 8 2.0%

• Total voters
52 and grateful for having been in my teens for the explosion of thrash and death metal. Musically the best time of my life. 🤘
Heard that. I'm 52 also, moved to Tampa in 1988. Needless to say, I was smack-dab in the middle of things to come..This was officially the death metal capital of the world. First, was Death, then Obituary, (I worked with Trevor Perez at a hose shop while he was working on Slowly We Rot. We used to go get high at lunch together).. Morbid Angel practiced next door to the band I was in at a storage facility. Iced Earth was there. Cannibal Corpse moved to Florida. Malevolent Creation. Atheist. I could go on. On top of that, bands like Coroner, Krokus, and other bands from Europe were flocking to Morris Sound to record with Scott Burns and Mark Prater. And because it blew up like it did, ALL the big names were here constantly doing shows. It was INSANE in the early 90's.

Heard that. I'm 52 also, moved to Tampa in 1988. Needless to say, I was smack-dab in the middle of things to come..This was officially the death metal capital of the world. First, was Death, then Obituary, (I worked with Trevor Perez at a hose shop while he was working on Slowly We Rot. We used to go get high at lunch together).. Morbid Angel practiced next door to the band I was in at a storage facility. Iced Earth was there. Cannibal Corpse moved to Florida. Malevolent Creation. Atheist. I could go on. On top of that, bands like Coroner, Krokus, and other bands from Europe were flocking to Morris Sound to record with Scott Burns and Mark Prater. And because it blew up like it did, ALL the big names were here constantly doing shows. It was INSANE in the early 90's.
You guys had the best music store on earth, Thorobred Music in Tampa! We used to drive down there every other month and get shit tons of gear from those guys, I had a guy there I could tell to keep his eyes peeled for a specific something and he'd call within a week or so and have me hooked up! The last time I was in there, Joe Satriani was in there trying out a bunch of stuff. I miss that place.... Good memories

You guys had the best music store on earth, Thorobred Music in Tampa! We used to drive down there every other month and get shit tons of gear from those guys, I had a guy there I could tell to keep his eyes peeled for a specific something and he'd call within a week or so and have me hooked up! The last time I was in there, Joe Satriani was in there trying out a bunch of stuff. I miss that place.... Good memories
Yeah, Elliott Rubinson owned Thoroughbred Music, who later bought Dean Guitars.

We went there every Saturday. I shit you not. It was packed, we would literally be there ALL day looking and playing. I bought a brand new Marshall VS100 for $499? I bought a brand new black Gibson Explorer for like $699. BRAND NEW. Several Charvels, the old-school shredders with the Jackson headstock. I bought Kramers, all kinds of goodies. Spent ALOT of money there, but back then, good stuff was AFFORDABLE.

Damn dude. I measure myself in experience, lessons learned, and the acquisition of profound knowledge. When I solved the great mysteries such as contacting the greys (of quadrant 84a on the universal map, 2437ly) and they explained the advanced code used (obviously we live in a matrix like simulation) to create everything we see, know, feel, and experience, I now understood that it’s unquantifiable and I will never fully understand it so I will live solely for pleasure, enjoyment, fulfillment and even the chaos that is love. Time passes way too fast, and the older you get, the faster it passes. Stress, tension, anxiety, fear, discomfort, pain, are things I don’t want and will actively avoid. Who cares what others think!! Do what you want to make yourself happy!!(within reason of course)! and don’t focus on years, and the limitations people say they place upon you! Live life!!

Guitars are profound tools of joy and fulfillment! You can never learn everything, there is always another song to write, melody to play, solo to create!!

Viva is life and guitar!

47. But feel and look 35. Lol

Bro, I’m like a confused and impulsive child, have no idea what’s going on, constantly seek pleasure, fun, and happiness and will do whatever I have to to remain that way. Life is too short. It’s a miracle we were even born in the first place, the miracle of life is staggering, and I want to experience all of it. Age is a number I am not willing to let regulate my life.

the old mitts don’t stretch and dance like they used to and the r/l hand to brain coordination has slipped a few rungs but if i practice regularly i can be about 90% happy with my playing🤣

and that mean old Sammy doesn’t think i should be driving (55) 😁

Love all ages that embrace playing. I’ve mentored lot younger gen players. Passion is there. Just has to be guided little old school style. Lol

We went there every Saturday. I shit you not. It was packed, we would literally be there ALL day looking and playing. I bought a brand new Marshall VS100 for $499? I bought a brand new black Gibson Explorer for like $699. BRAND NEW. Several Charvels, the old-school shredders with the Jackson headstock. I bought Kramers, all kinds of goodies. Spent ALOT of money there, but back then, good stuff was AFFORDABLE.
Im pushin mid 50s now,but around 23 or so I ordered so much stuff from thoroughbred music that they shipped it to my way out in the country house in a full semi roadway truck.it was a hoot watching that driver try to back that thing up my driveway.( ordered mesa quad,295 poweramp,2 mesa cabs,tc 2290,abacus midiboard, 8 space mesa rack,and a kramer lightning nightswan)

I remember being in high school. Me and s buddy would skip school. Spend all day going to different music stores. When we got back I would load up my Peavey backstage plus. DOD American metal pedal go to his place and we just jammed together. Neither of knew any songs. Just like intros. Haha
Think this was 1988. Really was great times.
When on our are day trip I remember listening to Cinderella Night songs thinking it was the greatest thing out then.
Haha

Yep, it was a different world back then..
If you had a good working relationship with those guys they would price things accordingly, they kept us going back there for a long time.
We would show up in the morning to pick up whatever we made the trek over for, but we would seldom be in there less than 5-6 hours playing anything and everything in there. Those guys were super knowledgeable about everything they had in the building, and they were very connected with people in the music world who could do anything you needed done. I ordered a JCM 900 before they were officially released (big mistake at first) and called them and said "this amp sounds like ASS" He told me to send it to this guy in cali I'd never heard of and he would make it a face melting beast.. He gave me Todd Langner's phone number and the rest was history :inlove:
I couldn't believe it was the same amp I sent him, it was the best sounding amp I'd ever heard.. 275.00 dollars :shocked:

Last edited:

Back