Rig-Talk M.I.A

• Thread starter Thread starter VonBonfire
  • Start date Start date
I'm pretty well stocked, just pay it forward in the future at some point.
I'll put a sample pack together over the weekend and get it out to you probably Tuesday afternoon since I have a doctor's appointment then.

Thanks Lisa!

I will lurk and try to find someone in need of some of my weird hard to find shit - I have a fuckton of pentodes and stuff like that that I won't ever use

:yes:
UZkWWfD.jpg

I'm trying to deliver some hiwattness at the moment - I'm not dan reeves as you can probably tell from my soldering but i did my best

1000012655.jpg

I've got the big guns out, nos tungsram in V1, nos mullard in v2, a Baldwin (Sylvania) au7 in V3, and a particularly spicy shuguang in v4 - some random ruby 34s that biased nicely

1000012653.jpg

I've only tested it at stepdad volume and for short bursts so far, but the volume is unbelievably crushing - I was actually surprised even compared to the real deal dr103s I've tried. Part of that is the 12L though.

Attachments

• 1000012654.jpg
    1000012654.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
I've only tested it at stepdad volume and for short bursts so far, but the volume is unbelievably crushing - I was actually surprised even compared to the real deal dr103s I've tried. Part of that is the 12L though.
Looks awesome Dan. My plexi I used to have wth 6550's was insanely loud and punchy, I can't imagine an amp that is even louder. You have to finish this up and do at least one gig with it dimed out just to say you did. Thanks for sharing it.

Edit: EVM12L???

SWEET!!!!:love:

Looks awesome Dan. My plexi I used to have wth 6550's was insanely loud and punchy, I can't imagine an amp that is even louder. You have to finish this up and do at least one gig with it dimed out just to say you did. Thanks for sharing it.

Edit: EVM12L???

SWEET!!!!:love:

I'm waiting on the headshell and Lisa is gonna send me a 12at7 then it will be done - I have an au7 in that spot now and it works but it's a little noisier than it should be

The mojo shell will be here Friday

I already have a Hiwatt logo as well

I probably need a colorsound power driver of some description as well - the headroom is so high I don't know what to do with myself honestly

It's so different than my normal amps that there's gonna be a learning curve

I'll post pics when it's finished for sure

I'm waiting on the headshell and Lisa is gonna send me a 12at7 then it will be done - I have an au7 in that spot now and it works but it's a little noisier than it should be

The mojo shell will be here Friday

I already have a Hiwatt logo as well

I probably need a colorsound power driver of some description as well - the headroom is so high I don't know what to do with myself honestly

It's so different than my normal amps that there's gonna be a learning curve

I'll post pics when it's finished for sure
What my final rig was when I was using single coil strats into the big Marshall and had to keep a lid on the volume was to stack two overdrives. One for a rhythm sound and then a second one I could kick in for lead. I wound up with two Blue Notes and it was a great combo into a clean Marshall since they have a wide range of adjustment in the mild OD department and have a lot of inherent clarity so I was never fighting mud. Or alternatively maybe try running some hotter than your usual pickups to drive the front end a little harder. Def look forward to your experiences with that puppy.

What my final rig was when I was using single coil strats into the big Marshall and had to keep a lid on the volume was to stack two overdrives. One for a rhythm sound and then a second one I could kick in for lead. I wound up with two Blue Notes and it was a great combo into a clean Marshall since they have a wide range of adjustment in the mild OD department and have a lot of inherent clarity so I was never fighting mud. Or alternatively maybe try running some hotter than your usual pickups to drive the front end a little harder. Def look forward to your experiences with that puppy.

Yeah I'm either going to have to use multiple boosts or an attenuator or some combination for it, because I'm planning on mostly single coils with it. A junior and my teles

The headroom and sheer volume is actually understated by people online tbh with old Hiwatts - it's like a clean version of a wizard in that respect

It's painfully loud and fucking glorious, and the top end chime and crunch is unlike anything else

Yeah I'm either going to have to use multiple boosts or an attenuator or some combination for it, because I'm planning on mostly single coils with it. A junior and my teles
Teles through a Hiwatt? You are going to get somebody killed Dan, lol. I tried the attenuator route. I had a bad cat "Leash" (not the later unleashed re-amp version). By the time it was attenuated down to acceptable levels for those smaller clubs I felt the tone suckage was too high and I got better results with the pedals. Granted there are better attenuators out there but some of them are new guitar money and I'd rather have a new guitar. I'm excited to hear what you come up with as a final gig ready arrangement. I suffered with big, loud, and clean amps for years and now I can't stand squishy little low watt tube rectified amps for gigs I got so used to it. Big clean amp demands flawless technique and are demanding to play but are also more rewarding IMO.

Teles through a Hiwatt? You are going to get somebody killed Dan, lol. I tried the attenuator route. I had a bad cat "Leash" (not the later unleashed re-amp version). By the time it was attenuated down to acceptable levels for those smaller clubs I felt the tone suckage was too high and I got better results with the pedals. Granted there are better attenuators out there but some of them are new guitar money and I'd rather have a new guitar. I'm excited to hear what you come up with as a final gig ready arrangement. I suffered with big, loud, and clean amps for years and now I can't stand squishy little low watt tube rectified amps for gigs I got so used to it. Big clean amp demands flawless technique and are demanding to play but are also more rewarding IMO.

Yes, I'm aware of the technique change - I actually go back and forth between forgiving and unforgiving amps depending on the gig

And I'm confident a power station would be perfect and have no tone suck, I've owned one before. It's probably going to be a combo of a ps100 and pedals to make it do what I'm after with teles, because I'm going for full on "take heads off" tone - plus having owned a power station before I know it's 100%worth it

For my punk stuff I'm working on a lower gain Townshend/johnny thunders idea for a sound - that's the main idea for the Hiwatt plus singles

As I'm doing big chord extensions and dissonances
Makes sense, hence the LP jr eh? Def want that clarity and string separation for the big chords. You are def on the right track. What EVM 12L's are you using? Newer classics? Black Labels? Older originals? Me and @7704A are constantly talking JBL's and EV's. Your hiwatt rig is gonna haunt the dreams of blues police around the world.

Makes sense, hence the LP jr eh? Def want that clarity and string separation for the big chords. You are def on the right track. What EVM 12L's are you using? Newer classics? Black Labels? Older originals? Me and @7704A are constantly talking JBL's and EV's. Your hiwatt rig is gonna haunt the dreams of blues police around the world.

It's one of the super hard to find newer 16ohm classics

1000012665.png

I have it in a hugely OS 1x12 cornford cab

I've played older ones and black labels and the newer classics have the most versatility IMO tho they're all versatile

Back