The best deal

• Thread starter Thread starter mudf00t
  • Start date Start date
I bought a basically unplayed 1988 Soloist for $800, probably the best deal I ever made. Other than that my good deals mostly consist of buying stuff belonging in the $1500-2000 range for $1000-1200, so I haven´t got any awesome stories like a lot of you guys have.

Tone Zone":1dndixjr said:
I've had some decent deals on gear, but nothing spectacular I guess. I got a brand new PRS Satin Standard 24 (which I still own) for $700 when they were first released.

I bought a brand new Ibanez JPM P4 for $750 many years ago before it was announced that Petrucci was going to leave them for EBMM. Four years later, I sold it for $1400.

I paid $800 for my standard and thought I got a good deal lol. I would love to have a JPM P4. I have seen some deals around like this one that sold last year.

https://reverb.com/item/738730-ibanez-j ... mo-picasso

Traded an ES-335 I had $1000 into for a new SLO, I paid shipping both ways, so $1200 total for a new SLO.

Got my EVH 5153 Stealth for free because FedEx trashed it, overpaid me and then I got it repaired and modded by its designer, who is local to me. I actually made $63 on that one.

Rick Lee":2xah8r9l said:
Traded an ES-335 I had $1000 into for a new SLO, I paid shipping both ways, so $1200 total for a new SLO.

Got my EVH 5153 Stealth for free because FedEx trashed it, overpaid me and then I got it repaired and modded by its designer, who is local to me. I actually made $63 on that one.

:shocked:

And my most recent one - a VG condition 1979 Marshall JMP 50w, missing tubes and trannies for $250 shipped. Cost me $250 to straighten it out, but it's a lot of amp for $500.

1983 Mark 2C SRG-$799 mint. GC.com. Now a 2C+ worth 2K.

1995 Charvel SDIV $650-Mint..plays, sounds and feels equal to a Charvel Custom shop..built by them of course. GC.com

1988 Marshall 2554-$800 local Craigslist...sold for 1700 3 years ago.

1979 Marshall 1960A checkerboard cab with 65s..$300 local Craigslist.

1974 Marshall 1960A original Creamback cab..$400 GC.com

In 2001 I snagged a maple neck, beak stock Kramer Pacer with OFR and EMG singles for $220 at the local GC. I think I made $600 profit parting it out on eBay.

Back in '88 I snagged a '77 Les Paul Gold Top Deluxe, a Fender amp of some sort and a distortion pedal for $500. Sold the Fender and pedal for ~$300 so essentially got the LP for ~$200!!!

I bought 12 Kramer necks for $500 from a music store in NJ. Some were used, some were NOS, never even drilled. I sold 10 of them for between $150-$250 each on Ebay and kept 2 for myself. Pretty good score.

BrokenFusion":1xnyymv6 said:
I bought 12 Kramer necks for $500 from a music store in NJ. Some were used, some were NOS, never even drilled. I sold 10 of them for between $150-$250 each on Ebay and kept 2 for myself. Pretty good score.

I remember when the Kramer factory was closing down and having a blowout sale around 1991. I lived in NJ, but was going to be out of the country on the day of the sale. I remember seeing on TGP a few years ago a guy who scored a new Ripley at that sale for $200.

1985 Jackson Rhoads black/gold serial # 4xx for $550. My best playing and sounding guitar.

I found a Fender medium pick one time. It broke later that day. :aww:

Rick Lee":vm4j7qoa said:
BrokenFusion":vm4j7qoa said:

I remember when the Kramer factory was closing down and having a blowout sale around 1991. I lived in NJ, but was going to be out of the country on the day of the sale. I remember seeing on TGP a few years ago a guy who scored a new Ripley at that sale for $200.

Yea these were from the fire sale. Been collecting dust in the corner of the store since then.

Was the store Victor Litz Music or something like that ?

There's been some good ones on here:

Elmwood Modena 60 for $1k. shoulda scored that. dumb on my part.

My best is a 85 kramer baretta, off white, paid $550, sold a year later for $1400.
second was locally scored a mint Musicman Luke for $600 mint, played it for a couple years, sold for $1100.

Things like this don't happen so much anymore.

Just remembered another one. A guy had to be out of his apt. by the end of the month, had to sell an EVH Wolf Spec. and two EBMM Axises. Started out at $450 each, PP'ed and shipped. I already had a few of each, so I didn't bite. When it got down to $350, I had to snag an Axis. Came with a case and needed some work. But I spent nothing more than a set of strings and about two hours on it. Played it for a few mos. and then eBay'ed it off for $1125.

Someday, at an estate sale I'm gonna find an original '59 LP....next to a 2C+ coliseum. All for 50 bucks.

Anything I got at Black Market Music in San Francisco when they were still in business, Jcm800 and cab for 750, 3 x Les Paul Standards at 800, 800, and 900 I think. Fender Twin, a 73 I think for 400, and sounded killer, a 73 strat for 550!! That place ws huge, a giant warehouse stuffed with killer vintage gear. My buddy got one of Jake E Lee's red modded plexi's that sounded heavenly for 900 bucks!! That was the LA Black Market Music.

Peavey Wolfgang prototype-Some idiot traded it into GC and I bought it for $900 and flipped it for $3000

2015 Gibson True Historic 1960 reissue- $2800

Ibanez J custom JCRG613- bought brand new at GC on clearance for $1700. was only in the store for 2 months and they couldn't figure out why it went on clearance

VHT CLX-used gc $700

Blackstar series one 6l6- brand new from gc when they had leftover Daddys junky stock-$650

Peavey Wolfgang First Year quilt- gc used, they thought it was an EXP import when they brought it in-$500

There were a bunch more from when I was flipping but those are some of the better ones

Back