The heaviest riff from The Black Album

• Thread starter Thread starter Tone Monster
  • Start date Start date
Ironically, visiting friends in Seattle for Metallica tonight and Sunday night lol!
Isn't it frowned upon on this forum to openly admit going to a Metallica show? I say this in jest as I'm taking my wife and sons to the same shows this weekend.

Yes it’s full of Metallics haters. Then they’ll circle jerk to Ratt. I like Ratt but whatever
If you say you're going to see Stephen Pearcy play at the Idaho state fair, nothing but love for 73 pages. Say you're going to Metallica, 73,000 pages of how their tone now is terrible, sold out, last good album was kill em all, blah ba-blah bafucking blah

If you say you're going to see Stephen Pearcy play at the Idaho state fair, nothing but love for 73 pages. Say you're going to Metallica, 73,000 pages of how their tone now is terrible, sold out, last good album was kill em all, blah ba-blah bafucking blah
No one hates Metallica just because. Metallica haters hate the utter squandering of musical potential that could have been. I can’t think of any artist in music history that has fallen artistically as far as Metallica did at their worst.

No one hates Metallica just because. Metallica haters hate the utter squandering of musical potential that could have been. I can’t think of any artist in music history that has fallen artistically as far as Metallica did at their worst.

This is it. You can't just go from songs like FWTBT / Puppets / Blackened / Harvester of Sorrow, or a dozen other top-of-genre songs they've written, to St Anger, and expect people not to be totally bewildered by it to such a degree that it's still talked about now. And they've continued that trend of just being so unbelievably worse than they were at the top of their game in a way that most bands don't quite hit. I think the whole situation is confusing as much as it's disappointing.

This is it. You can't just go from songs like FWTBT / Puppets / Blackened / Harvester of Sorrow, or a dozen other top-of-genre songs they've written, to St Anger, and expect people not to be totally bewildered by it to such a degree that it's still talked about now. And they've continued that trend of just being so unbelievably worse than they were at the top of their game in a way that most bands don't quite hit. I think the whole situation is confusing as much as it's disappointing.

and the most confusing part of all to me is how they still have so many in their cult like fanbase who just accept whatever bullshit they throw out, get offended and will defend till the end no matter what if you call the bullshit bullshit. its fascinating to me

Bros kissed each other in a magazine
How yall defend that 😂

and the most confusing part of all to me is how they still have so many in their cult like fanbase who just accept whatever bullshit they throw out, get offended and will defend till the end no matter what if you call the bullshit bullshit. its fascinating to me

Same, man. People decide they like something once and then their tribal instincts kick in and that thing, whatever it is, is suddenly family to them. OR they think that if they ever change their opinion, then they're admitting to being a spineless flip-flopper who is WRONG or something, and they can't be wrong now can they. I've never understood "brand loyalty" in that way either.

Like I get that a brand can gain your trust after multiple great products and gain a reputation for consistency and dependability or whatever the goodwill might be, but if that brand releases something sub par and shows you it has changed, then the deal is off. Stop supporting it. It's ok to stop participating and even to make your opinion known that the new thing is crap.

Either way, nobody ever had any obligation to keep consuming. Nor are they spineless flip-floppers if they decide they don't like the brand anymore. You don't owe it anything, just like it doesn't owe you anything. You're not "on the same team" and you're not a member of that brand's "family" no matter how much their marketing tries to convince you otherwise.

If something starts sucking and you still care about it, then let your opinion be known. Likewise, if it starts sucking and you've stopped caring, then you're free to ignore it. From this perspective I think it's plain to see all the loud complaining about Metallica comes from the former camp, people who saw how great the band was and are still wondering what the fuck happened.

I will say that this isn't unique to music though. You see this all the time in other areas, like in the video game industry for example. So many hangers-on and people who can't admit some new thing is crap because they have good memories of when the same people made good stuff prior, etc.

Last edited:
It's so fucking good. That tuning worked so well for the riff. When people say brutal, you hear more extreme tones and riffs. But when you want the Webster Dictionary version of fucking HEAVY... The riffs in that song especially the main is what I think of. It never gets old. Everytime I hear that riff at volume through good speakers it's automatic stank-face.

It's a sledge hammer of a riff. And it has nuances. You have to play it a certain way to make it sound exactly like that down to palm muting pressure and lifting the left index to stop the notes at the exact moment.

My biggest regret is that I didn't come up with it first. I will live and die by that riff. People just don't write like that anymore.

And this is part of why Hetfield is my #1 inspiration and in my opinion the greatest rhythm front man of all time.

And when they drop back into it after the interlude. Shit pumps me up everytime.

HATE!!! IM YOUR HATE!!
IM YOUR HATE WHEN YOU WANT LOOOOVE
💀
I agree it sounds modern . You know what ? The Dr Feelgood tone to me is what introduce modern tone

Same, man. People decide they like something once and then their tribal instincts kick in and that thing, whatever it is, is suddenly family to them. OR they think that if they ever change their opinion, then they're admitting to being a spineless flip-flopper who is WRONG or something, and they can't be wrong now can they. I've never understood "brand loyalty" in that way either.

Like I get that a brand can gain your trust after multiple great products and gain a reputation for consistency and dependability or whatever the goodwill might be, but if that brand releases something sub par and shows you it has changed, then the deal is off. Stop supporting it. It's ok to stop participating and even to make your opinion known that the new thing is crap.

Either way, nobody ever had any obligation to keep consuming. Nor are they spineless flip-floppers if they decide they don't like the brand anymore. You don't owe it anything, just like it doesn't owe you anything. You're not "on the same team" and you're not a member of that brand's "family" no matter how much their marketing tries to convince you otherwise.

If something starts sucking and you still care about it, then let your opinion be known. Likewise, if it starts sucking and you've stopped caring, then you're free to ignore it. From this perspective I think it's plain to see all the loud complaining about Metallica comes from the former camp, people who saw how great the band was and are still wondering what the fuck happened.

I will say that this isn't unique to music though. You see this all the time in other areas, like in the video game industry for example. So many hangers-on and people who can't admit some new thing is crap because they have good memories of when the same people made good stuff prior, etc.
I just ignore all that stuff and just enjoy music . And when people fight over it

I just ignore all that stuff and just enjoy music . And when people fight over it

Yup. It's all entertaining to me. I don't listen to their stuff I don't like but that doesn't mean their first several records aren't still awesome. Hell I even like Load / Reload... well I really love a small handful of songs between both albums while the rest are kinda forgettable, but I think those few best ones are some of the best heavy rock (not metal) songs ever written.

However I don't think there's a single redeeming thing about St Anger, Death Magnetic, Hardwired, or 72 Seasons except that they bring out the best shit talking in people which is pretty funny to read so it's all good. :)

Last edited:
Yup. It's all entertaining to me. I don't listen to their stuff I don't like but that doesn't mean their first several records aren't still awesome. Hell I even like Load / Reload... well I really love a small handful of songs between both albums while the rest are kinda forgettable, but I think those few best ones are some of the best heavy rock (not metal) songs ever written.

However I don't think there's a single redeeming thing about St Anger, Death Magnetic, Hardwired, or 72 Seasons except that they bring out the best shit talking in people which is pretty funny to read so it's all good. :)
Dude : Death Magnetic is fucking great . Theirs stuff on there like justice . Crazy riffs with odd long song structures .

Dude : Death Magnetic is fucking great . Theirs stuff on there like justice . Crazy riffs with odd long song structures .

Oh yeah? I remember listening a long time ago but the production was weird enough that I lost interest. I'll give it another listen sometime soon and see if I missed anything good.

Last edited:

Back