The I chord in major...scale choices + substitutions.

• Thread starter Thread starter degenaro
  • Start date Start date
degenaro":227b9 said:
Not a big fan of patterns when it comes to getting scales under your fingers. But rather actual notes. As in if I play this note over this chord it sounds _______________, and this makes my ears go___________

Hence the backings up there.

And on a different note-I posted that in the guita section over here, the new acoustic is way cool...
http://www.eddegenaro.com/audio/aura.mp3

Spruce or Maple body?

That is what Kage keeps telling me, get off the scale wagon and start hitting the backing tracks. One of the nights when I was hitting the tracks yes I did find some cool phrasing but my lack of knowledge of the fret board is keeping me from piecing it together 100%

Take the pentatonic in C....I found sliding between the B and C and stopping would cause so nice "tension", at least to my ears.

Fair enough, I will do more practice with tracks while listening what comes out.

Oh yeah, "Stringed" is my favorite acoustic from you.

Digital Jams":41d47 said:
Spruce or Maple body?

That is what Kage keeps telling me, get off the scale wagon and start hitting the backing tracks. One of the nights when I was hitting the tracks yes I did find some cool phrasing but my lack of knowledge of the fret board is keeping me from piecing it together 100%

Take the pentatonic in C....I found sliding between the B and C and stopping would cause so nice "tension", at least to my ears.

Fair enough, I will do more practice with tracks while listening what comes out.

Oh yeah, "Stringed" is my favorite acoustic from you.
I haven't got a clue...It's an Alvarez-Yairi masterbuild D95YC or something like that...

Okay if you don't know the fretboard then it's time to learn it. String by string. Screw patterns. Improv over any of the C major backings with the C major/A minor pentatonic on 1 string. Start on the G string and learn the notes on that string. THen go to the C major scale, do the same on the other strings.

degenaro":d72df said:
I haven't got a clue...It's an Alvarez-Yairi masterbuild D95YC or something like that...

Okay if you don't know the fretboard then it's time to learn it. String by string. Screw patterns. Improv over any of the C major backings with the C major/A minor pentatonic on 1 string. Start on the G string and learn the notes on that string. THen go to the C major scale, do the same on the other strings.

Those masterbuilds are very nice pieces.

Ok, 1/2 hour a night will be reserved for this, I somewhat know it but not well enough.

this is mega useful stuff. Quite a bit of it is over my head and im at work so i cant work things out with my guitar but im going to have a go for a few hours tonight. Cheers guys.

Digital Jams":96e55 said:
One of the nights when I was hitting the tracks yes I did find some cool phrasing but my lack of knowledge of the fret board is keeping me from piecing it together 100%

Not being a slave to patterns also might be related to that saying you hear all the time:

"learn all those patterns and then forget them"

:D

Shiny_Surface":5c3c9 said:
Not being a slave to patterns also might be related to that saying you hear all the time:

"learn all those patterns and then forget them"

:D

I could see that for shred wank the patterns are useful but for phrasing and playing from the gut yeah I should leave them.

They are my crutch though :cry:

Digital Jams":d0805 said:
I could see that for shred wank the patterns are useful but for phrasing and playing from the gut yeah I should leave them.

They are my crutch though :cry:
How about learning some lines instead of patterns though if you want to use a cruthch?

degenaro":f6e09 said:
How about learning some lines instead of patterns though if you want to use a cruthch?

I have learned some lines and tonight's exercise of one string pentatonics and majors will explain to me what I am doing with them.

I am going to alternate days, one day will be right hand work with the clicker and next night is phrasing with tracks and one string exercises.

Digital Jams":a4237 said:
I have learned some lines and tonight's exercise of one string pentatonics and majors will explain to me what I am doing with them.

I am going to alternate days, one day will be right hand work with the clicker and next night is phrasing with tracks and one string exercises.
What kinda lines?

degenaro":d6e55 said:
Actually, first the disclaimer. As teaching is a form of
passing of information, here's where mine is coming from: The
ideas behind subs and the scales to go with it, are originated from my studying Grove's, Mock's, and Gambale's approach to that subject. Here we ho, we'll start with the three main forms in major and then the
remaining 6 in minor. And then plurality.

Tonights guest is the the the I Major chord.

To sub for the major (with the same function) use any of
the diatonic
or altered forms listed. The scales are to play through the
chord, but
add chromatic passingtones by taste.
For the sake of argument we're using C as key.
I suggest the major scale, one can use the
major pentatonic
(nothing than a major scale minus the fourth and
seventh)

Diatonic Forms
Chord----spelling----scale choice / Number positions on Maj scale

Cmajor---c,e,g-------C major, C lydian (4th mode Gmajor) 1-3-5

C6------- c.e.g.a-----C maj, C lyd 1-3-5-6

Cmaj7----c,e,g,b-----C maj, C lyd 1-3-5-7

Cmaj9----c,e,g,b,d---C maj, C lyd 1-3-5-7-9

C69------c,e,g,a,d--C maj, C lyd 1-3-5-6-9

Cmaj9#11--c,e,g,b,d,f#---C lydian 1-3-5-7-9-11...half step up

C69#11----c,e,g,a,d,f#---C lydian 1-3-5-6-9-11....half step up

Cmaj13#11-c,e,g,b,d,f#,a---C lydian 1-3-5-7-9-11..half step up-13
Altered Forms

Csus4------c,f,g---C major

C6b5-------c,e,gb,a--C lydian

Cmaj7b5---c,e,g#,b---A harmonic minor

Cmaj9b5---c,e,gb,b,d---C lydian

Cmaj9#5---c,e,g#,b,d---A harmonic minor

C69b5------c,e,gba,d---C lydian

Cmaj9#11#5--c,e,g#,b,d,f#---A melodic minor

Cmaj13#11#5--c,e,g#,d,d,f#,a--A melodic minor

Obviously the lydian stuff
would be for subs on the IV chord (not in blues though!!)
Any questions/comments? Let me know.

I will finish tomorrow, at least writing is learning.

Digital Jams":a82b6 said:
http://home.comcast.net/~jwheeler12/Mixdown_pentawank.mp3

Bastard.

Holy crap wtf happened to my levels :o

Anyways, that is what I have been screwing around with using a pentatonic with some Maj phrasing thrown in.

Sorry for being sloppy, used the new 7 stringer and I am still adapting. Used a MI Audio Blues Pro into the MK IV R1 channel.

Layed down a Cm7-Cmaj to Gm7-Gmaj progression on one of Ed's backings to screw around with.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwheeler12/Mixdown_Cmaj_with_rhythm.mp3

Back